News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

IHE: Minority White Students

Started by Wahoo Redux, September 18, 2022, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

IHE: White Minority in the Midwest

Highly competitive private colleges follow public colleges in California and private colleges in the Northeast with classes in which white Americans are a minority.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 18, 2022, 08:04:30 PM
IHE: White Minority in the Midwest

Highly competitive private colleges follow public colleges in California and private colleges in the Northeast with classes in which white Americans are a minority.

In my part of STEM, that's been the case for at least a decade or more. (Probably more like 2 decades, give or take.)
It takes so little to be above average.

financeguy

In anything that's a zero sum game, stating you want to have an opportunity for a particular group is by necessity limiting that opportunity to another group. The first time I heard someone say the quiet part out loud was a USC valedictorian who mentioned not diversity, not inclusion, not even AA, but opportunities for "non-white" students. It's one thing to want everyone to have equal access or some specific amount of access. It's another thing entirely to say you specifically wish a particular group (and only that group) to be a minority.

mahagonny

Questions:
How is the race of each student determined; is it simply by interrogating the applicants?
Example: Pres. Barack Obama said he had a white mother and a black father. The electorate says he's black, and he doesn't disagree. So does one have to be 100% white, as far as one is able to tell, in order to identify themselves as white?
Who is white and who is not?

financeguy

This same issue is relevant in the CHE article about the UC system giving free tuition to Native Americans. They can't legally do it on race which means another external objective criteria has to be used, such as membership in a federally recognized tribe, which is causing controversy among those that don't fit that narrow definition.

dismalist

Quote from: mahagonny on September 19, 2022, 12:54:44 PM
Questions:
How is the race of each student determined; is it simply by interrogating the applicants?
Example: Pres. Barack Obama said he had a white mother and a black father. The electorate says he's black, and he doesn't disagree. So does one have to be 100% white, as far as one is able to tell, in order to identify themselves as white?

[Non-white] one-drop-rule!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 19, 2022, 02:44:56 PM
Why are we so surprised? Globally, white people are a minority.

https://infogram.com/race-of-the-world-population-1go502yg18k62jd

More to the point, perhaps: why are we surprised? Who would want to be white today?

Quote from: dismalist on September 19, 2022, 01:31:46 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 19, 2022, 12:54:44 PM
Questions:

[Non-white] one-drop-rule!

Googling my favorite intellectual, Ellie Mystal, I found as usual the liberals have the definitive answer. If you are proud that your body is covered with skin, you should be black. Otherwise, you are threatening people.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/12/msnbc-panelist-white-people-destroy/

Wahoo Redux

I really hope we can beat racial bigotry in North America. I think we are, just with the slow walk of trees.  I think (I hope) this might be a step in the right direction.

Hibush

Quote from: financeguy on September 19, 2022, 01:16:48 PM
This same issue is relevant in the CHE article about the UC system giving free tuition to Native Americans. They can't legally do it on race which means another external objective criteria has to be used, such as membership in a federally recognized tribe, which is causing controversy among those that don't fit that narrow definition.
Current UC data show undergrad breakdown 0.5% American Indian, 23% white. This system has been <50% white for some time, so that aspect is old hat.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on September 19, 2022, 04:52:40 PM
Quote from: financeguy on September 19, 2022, 01:16:48 PM
Current UC data show undergrad breakdown 0.5% American Indian, 23% white. This system has been <50% white for some time, so that aspect is old hat.

Whoa! I thought Hispanics were White. Thus, 50% plus of students there are White.

Look, I don' really care about any of this racial or ethnic classification business, but the discussion -- surely unintended --  does remind me of the Wannsee Conference, where apparently half the time was was dedicated to figuring out what degree of Jewishness below 100% was sufficient to qualify for immediate deportation and ensuing murder.

Here, of course, we are discussing the definition of the beneficiaries of a racial spoils system, not the losers.

I conclude there is a change in sign. As for the rest, we shall see.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 19, 2022, 04:46:23 PM
I really hope we can beat racial bigotry in North America. I think we are, just with the slow walk of trees.  I think (I hope) this might be a step in the right direction.

Perhaps this will warm your heart.

In 1960, around four per cent of Americans, white or black, were open to dating and/or marrying a person of the other race. Now that number is about 95%.

marshwiggle

Not as long as people feel compelled to count how many of <whatever> there are in any setting. Progress will have been achieved when no-one cares.
It takes so little to be above average.

financeguy

mahaggony, those numbers might be true but there is ONE group that has a very vocal and intense public opinion about those that marry or date another group, if that group is white. Look at private equity CEO Robert Smith, VP Kamala Harris, SCOTUS Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson and film actor Michael B. Jordan. All have been hammered in the press and social media not by whites but by members of their own group for dating or marrying whites. These comments are not made in back rooms or hushed voices either but openly on social media and in otherwise respectable venues. (The View, for example, which I believe has several journalism Pulitzers in addition to its wide ranging appeal to soccer moms nationwide.)

In a social media world where the hair trigger backlash is immediate for even the most unintended fictional perceived slight related to any identity group, this one is never shouted down. It's getting old.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on September 20, 2022, 03:31:21 AM

Perhaps this will warm your heart.

In 1960, around four per cent of Americans, white or black, were open to dating and/or marrying a person of the other race. Now that number is about 95%.

Yes, it does.  Thank you.