News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The State of Kansas "innovates"

Started by jimbogumbo, September 21, 2022, 06:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

If I understand correctly, the innovation part is they are eliminating some jobs because they foresee not being able to fund them in the near future, as opposed to waiting until the college is fully driven into the ditch and then closing it. Isn't that called 'planning?'

'A lot of faculty members were crying. There were tears; there were expressions of sympathy and loss,' McCoy said. 'It was sort of like attending a funeral in the department.'

No it wasn't, drama queen. I've been to funerals and nothing else is a funeral. Besides, if I had been tenure track for eleven + years, I'd have some money saved. These people aren't going to be missing meals. His wikipedia page looks like he might've been using this professor gig as a second job.

Well, I can understand someone being concerned if it's going to be a trend, but really. This guy.

Mobius

You really think Emporia folks are paid that well?

RatGuy

I interviewed at Emporia State in 2011-12. I do not remember them being a very happy department back then. Sounds like things have just gotten worse.

mahagonny

Quote from: Mobius on September 22, 2022, 10:40:21 AM
You really think Emporia folks are paid that well?

Well, regarding the specific folks being discussed here: compared to other tenure track positions nationwide, no. Compared to most of the people who teach in college for pay, yes. Tenure track in Kansas should pay a lot better than adjunct at SUNY or California.

Mobius

Yep, they shouldn't be sad because adjuncts have it worse.

jimbogumbo

Even though I expect little from BOTs and Presidents I was taken aback by the declarations that the State had not abolished tenure. I am used to the assertions that shared governance expectations were met, but the audacity of these claims left me slack jawed with a touch of admiration.

mahagonny

Quote from: Mobius on September 22, 2022, 12:59:41 PM

They should have seen this coming is the point. Unless they've found a place where money grows on trees.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on September 22, 2022, 03:39:42 PM

They should have seen this coming is the point. Unless they've found a place where money grows on trees.

Mahag, my friend, you have complained about all sorts of things since you first landed on these fora, very frequently about the treatment of adjuncts.

Not that you are entirely wrong, but show a little empathy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 22, 2022, 05:10:03 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 22, 2022, 03:39:42 PM

Mahag, my friend, you have complained about all sorts of things since you first landed on these fora, very frequently about the treatment of adjuncts.

Not that you are entirely wrong, but show a little empathy.

OK fair enough since you ask nicely.

Golazo

I think Emporia State, as a public university, is clearly violating the Contract Clause. Contracts are serious business. States are not allowed to simply change the terms simply because the terms turn out to be bad, which is was a specific goal of the clause when written. I.e., see Oregon and PERS. Tenured faculty positions are likely the same:

Quote"Eliminating tenured faculty positions is not strictly necessary to meet the financial difficulties Kansas faces—the Constitution does not allow Kansas to place this option "on a par with other policy alternatives" because of its self-interest if that action is taken by legislative act. Thus, the question arises whether the United States Constitution prohibits Kansas from making a retroactive change to the protection of tenure in existing employment contracts via the action of its Board of Regents...Parties should remain alert for possible violations of the Contract Clause as state responses to the pandemic continue to unfold."
(https://www.jurist.org/commentary/2021/01/william-widen-kansas-tenure/).

If there is ever a hint of this in my state I'm going to get a whole slew of tenured faculty together and get a couple of graduates who have gone on to high power legal jobs write a nice legal letter explaining this to the state legislature and make sure that op-eds explain how much this would cost the state tax payers in the end.

mahagonny

Quote from: Golazo on October 02, 2022, 07:10:31 PM
I think Emporia State, as a public university, is clearly violating the Contract Clause. Contracts are serious business. States are not allowed to simply change the terms simply because the terms turn out to be bad, which is was a specific goal of the clause when written. I.e., see Oregon and PERS. Tenured faculty positions are likely the same:

Quote"Eliminating tenured faculty positions is not strictly necessary to meet the financial difficulties Kansas faces—the Constitution does not allow Kansas to place this option "on a par with other policy alternatives" because of its self-interest if that action is taken by legislative act. Thus, the question arises whether the United States Constitution prohibits Kansas from making a retroactive change to the protection of tenure in existing employment contracts via the action of its Board of Regents...Parties should remain alert for possible violations of the Contract Clause as state responses to the pandemic continue to unfold."

If there is ever a hint of this in my state I'm going to get a whole slew of tenured faculty together and get a couple of graduates who have gone on to high power legal jobs write a nice legal letter explaining this to the state legislature and make sure that op-eds explain how much this would cost the state tax payers in the end.

Of course...what is tenure for anyway? Suing people and making the little people pay for it. I hope that wins you some new fans. Be sure your name is all over it. I'll be watching.

ETA: Wait -- before to get to butting heads, let me admit I forgot to mention there is a higher purpose to tenure than providing nice jobs for cool people. That being to provide another power center for the democratic party plantation.

Mobius

Quote from: Golazo on October 02, 2022, 07:10:31 PM

Tenure doesn't protect your position if programs are cut. Look at Akron and Wright State, which were unionized. Henderson State also cut a lot of tenured positions.

Golazo

The point here is not that tenure protects you from losing your job if your program closes; in the case of Emporia, they are simply altering the terms of the contract to allow them to dismiss faculty without eliminating programs or for whatever reason they want by the act of the state legislature.

If you offer people a permanent contract with a limited list of reasons for dismissal, you can't unilaterally change the contract. State legislatures can't just change people's contracts.

@mahagonny I get that adjuncts are treated badly, I've been a poorly paid adjunct. But constantly going after TT faculty doesn't help that. At least here it is the admins who treat adjuncts badly and the TT faculty who are trying to get them more pay, compensation if classes are cancelled, etc.