News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Niche Hippie Schools

Started by no1capybara, September 22, 2022, 01:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Reed College and Prescott College come to mind out West. Deep Springs College is a two-year school in California.

Out East, you have Berea, Alice Lloyd, and Warren Wilson that are work colleges.

Wahoo Redux

I was just going to post Reed College. 

These are the most obnoxious hippy-wanna-be students you would never want to meet.  They have hurt Reed's reputation at least locally.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

no1capybara

Quote from: mamselle on September 22, 2022, 06:47:08 AM
I'd strongly consider Antioch of Ohio, in any case...

M.

Antioch!  That's the one I was thinking of, thanks.

no1capybara

Quote from: Mobius on September 22, 2022, 10:39:22 AM
Deep Springs College is a two-year school in California.

Holy cow, I looked up Deep Springs, that is quite a place.  I've never heard of it before: 30 students, 1:5 faculty student ratio.  I might just have to inquire about a visiting position there. https://www.deepsprings.edu/

no1capybara

Quote from: jerseyjay on September 22, 2022, 07:30:50 AM
My experience at BC is that it is no way a hippie school.

If we want a Massachusetts school, I would say Hampshire.

(I am not 100 per cent sure what we mean by "hippie," since music, sex, drugs, and "progressive" politics are present at most places. Hippie is sort of a historically-specific term.)

Fair enough, I stand corrected on BC - I only have secondhand knowledge of it.

Oh, Hampshire is good one!

Yeah, I'm not clear on whether "hippie" is the right term either, but couldn't think of anything better.

Hibush

Quote from: no1capybara on September 23, 2022, 01:55:38 AM
Yeah, I'm not clear on whether "hippie" is the right term either, but couldn't think of anything better.

Calling it a "hippie school" is recognizing how the term is used today. It alludes to the hippies of San Francisco in the summer of 1967 looking for peace, love and understanding, and looking more colorful and hairy than their establishment contemporaries. But they are not that.

Reed sounds like a good place to study the spectrum of legacy hippie, contemporary hippie, hippie-wannabe, and hipster-wannabe. So many ways to annoy the neighbors!

jerseyjay

Quote from: Hibush on September 23, 2022, 04:16:01 AM
Calling it a "hippie school" is recognizing how the term is used today. It alludes to the hippies of San Francisco in the summer of 1967 looking for peace, love and understanding, and looking more colorful and hairy than their establishment contemporaries. But they are not that.
Fair enough, but I still don't know what we talk about when we talk about hippies. (As a historian, I think we are probably wrong when talk about hippies in the 1960s and 1970s. I mean, only a small number of people actually "dropped out" and joined the "counterculture". But a large number were influenced by the counterculture in terms of dress, hair style, sexual attitudes, music, politics, drugs, etc. In this case, almost every school in the 1960s was to some degree a hippie school, and every school (especially the sports, business, and fraternity components) was an anti-hippie school.)

That said, the one time I visited Hampshire, I got a certain vibe--a combination of chemical, social, political, and economic--that "hippie" seemed like a good description. Something that I did not get at Smith or Amherst College.

Hibush

Quote from: jerseyjay on September 23, 2022, 04:44:05 AM
Fair enough, but I still don't know what we talk about when we talk about hippies. (As a historian, I think we are probably wrong when talk about hippies in the 1960s and 1970s. I mean, only a small number of people actually "dropped out" and joined the "counterculture". But a large number were influenced by the counterculture in terms of dress, hair style, sexual attitudes, music, politics, drugs, etc. In this case, almost every school in the 1960s was to some degree a hippie school, and every school (especially the sports, business, and fraternity components) was an anti-hippie school.)

That said, the one time I visited Hampshire, I got a certain vibe--a combination of chemical, social, political, and economic--that "hippie" seemed like a good description. Something that I did not get at Smith or Amherst College.

That is exactly right. Thanks for the historian's context! The origin was iconic but a fleeting historic event that has echoes in something very real in contemporatry society. That must happen with other things.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hibush on September 23, 2022, 05:58:45 AM
Quote from: jerseyjay on September 23, 2022, 04:44:05 AM

That is exactly right. Thanks for the historian's context! The origin was iconic but a fleeting historic event that has echoes in something very real in contemporatry society. That must happen with other things.

Despite the fact that many (most) of them became accountants and started driving Beamers.....
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

I was and am probably somewhere very lightly placed on the hippie spectrum if a certain period in which my favorite jeans were patterned bell-bottoms, worn with a body suit and long beads, counts.

At the same time, I never did (still don't) do drugs, drink, or ride in fast cars--and only twice, I think, on a friend's motorbike (he wore a sheep's fleece vest, would that count?) to the beach.

At Ohio State in the 1970s, there was a wide blend of styles, attitudes, actions, and approaches to life. Friends in the Christian Fellowship where I lived on campus were heavily into veg/vegan cooking, as was a cousin of mine, and another on-campus friend, who made bean soup all the time--if you went to eat there, you already knew the menu, and to eat beforehand so as not to go hungry. (His homemade whole-wheat bread was VERY good, though...)

I learned to make sprouts spout for my salads, and even had a sort of sprout-spread for sandwiches that was very tasty; hoummus and tahini took off then, as did all kinds of weird but supposedly healthful shakes (which are still with us...). I never did get into eggplant and its various derivatives.

When I moved away in the late 1970s/early 1980s, those things were even more in view in the larger cities I was near. Bagels had become a thing, with all kinds of toppings--they still are. Clothes started to morph away a bit but granny dresses and bells were still around, and now they're back as some kind of 'retro' gear; I pulled out the one I made for my sister as a birthday present the other day and thought it still had some wear in it, but by now it doesn't fit either of us...

But a lot of the theological and philosophical development of that period had a strong impact on my work then and now, and at large as well. I don't disown or disregard it because, underneath all the Age of Aquarius hype, there were some home truths brought forward and incorporated into civil, religious, and artistic practice that continue to bear fruit.

So, all that to say, I guess I don't think of 'hippie' as a derogatory term, necessarily, at all.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

During the late 1960's and the 70's I was a non-conformist. Everybody was doing it. I wasn't going to be left out.

apl68

Quote from: no1capybara on September 23, 2022, 01:52:33 AM
Quote from: Mobius on September 22, 2022, 10:39:22 AM
Deep Springs College is a two-year school in California.

Holy cow, I looked up Deep Springs, that is quite a place.  I've never heard of it before: 30 students, 1:5 faculty student ratio.  I might just have to inquire about a visiting position there. https://www.deepsprings.edu/

I first encountered it in an article in Smithsonian (IIRC) in the 1990s.  It seemed like a fascinating place.  I've read some more about it over the years.

I guess for purposes of this thread "Niche Hippie School" means any secular niche SLAC that is not an HCBU or single-sex campus, and has a reputation for encouraging nonconformity among its student body.  It could be a school like Bennington, with its reputation for debauchery (I read Donna Tartt's Secret History back in the day.  Didn't like it.), or Deep Spring, with its rural setting and do-it-yourself ethos, or maybe even St. John's, with its unusual Great Books program.  Assorted Bible colleges, and secular SLACs that don't really stand out in any way apart from maybe offering an unusual major or two, would not qualify.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

secundem_artem

Grinnell College.  Not all that niche maybe, but kinda hippy-ish
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

I've never been to Bennington but some of the members of their dance department created some exceptional works and did some in-depth dance pedagogy studies that are still useful, as well.

So maybe some departments are/were more hippy than others?

(Although the OSU dance department had some fringes of that when I was there, too....)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Mobius

Quote from: no1capybara on September 23, 2022, 01:55:38 AM

Reed sounds like a good place to study the spectrum of legacy hippie, contemporary hippie, hippie-wannabe, and hipster-wannabe. So many ways to annoy the neighbors!

Steve Jobs dropped out from there. I know of one professor in my field who teaches there, but does not strike me as the counterculture type.