News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Niche Hippie Schools

Started by no1capybara, September 22, 2022, 01:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Yeah, a friend of mine does gorgeous calligraphy and art printmaking, which she learned there; she's sweet-silly-goofy at times but definitely not a lightweight in her working field.

So...maybe nothing is all as bad as it's said to be, or as good?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

I had a phone interview at Humboldt State University several years ago. Didn't get the fly out, so not sure what the campus is like, but in my mind I imagine the ultimate hippie school.

mythbuster

Humboldt State is a good, often overlooked school in the midst of a hippie counter culture/ back the land libertarian environment. The area regularly votes Republican (California style) and marijuana farms are a major economic force in the area. It's an interesting mix. The curriculum is traditionally structured, given that its a CSU.

New College of Florida doesn't issue grades and is somewhat Hampshire College- esque in is curriculum design. Or as much so as you can be as a public school in Florida.

jimbogumbo

I graduated from Earlham in 1975. Smack in the middle of deep sections of Indiana-Ohio, yet is very liberal as well as highly peace and service oriented. I was one of the more conservative students, but still loved it. We always had vegetarian buffets as well as typical cafeteria stuff, and the grapes and lettuce were always served in two bins each, one non-union and one union.

mamselle

I was going to note, that is (or was) a Quaker school, yes?

At one point it was almost rad to go there, among my more conventional friends; others, strongly focused on the peace movement, were glad of the option.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on September 23, 2022, 03:00:20 PM

At one point it was almost rad to go there, among my more conventional friends; others, strongly focused on the peace movement, were glad of the option.

M.

Yes, Quaker. Had one of the first Peace Studies programs in the US.

quasihumanist

M.

Still is, though the (ongoing) history of Quaker schisms has made the relationships (yes, plural) quite complicated.

mamselle

Yes, the colonial Friends started it....

M.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: quasihumanist on September 23, 2022, 04:39:49 PM

M.

Still is, though the (ongoing) history of Quaker schisms has made the relationships (yes, plural) quite complicated.

Very. Two very different factions in particularly. Much the same issue that is splitting the Methodist Church.

lalochezia

How can you dislike reed college when their t-shirt is so awesome

https://bit.ly/3Sy9yS6

onehappyunicorn

Does anyone have experience with the College of the Atlantic?
https://www.coa.edu/
They seem like they would be niche as well.

dismalist

Quote from: lalochezia on October 01, 2022, 06:34:05 PM
How can you dislike reed college when their t-shirt is so awesome

https://bit.ly/3Sy9yS6

There's no such thing as a free love!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli