Main Menu

Ben Sasse

Started by jimbogumbo, October 06, 2022, 02:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on October 07, 2022, 07:11:05 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on October 07, 2022, 06:45:49 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on October 07, 2022, 04:06:35 AM
According to wikipedia he is against same-sex marriage. He thinks Florida is uniquely positioned to lead America out of its current turmoil. Many of my liberal blue state friends consider hatred of DeSantis and any who voted for him or moved there recently to be a litmus test for basic moral sanity.  This is going to be interesting.

I don't think he can coexist with DeSantis. I also don't how against same sex marriage he is. Midland U is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, which is LGBTQ affirming.

thanks for info.
When someone says they support the LGBTQ 'alliance' (I'm not yet convinced there is one, but anyway) don't they usually mean 'if someone tells me they have changed genders and request a new set of pronouns, I will wish them well and use those pronouns when I refer to them and hope they are having a good life'? 

No, it means welcoming to those groups. The "T" is a very small part of that. For example, in my church choir there were three gay tenors in our section, two married. One of the basses is gay, and his spouse was also. Three of them are(were) organists, and I know at least three other gay church organists in the community. The bass is organist at a large Catholic Church, which is clearly not welcoming to gay membership and he is a member of our ELCA church. One of the tenors was for years a cantor at a Catholic Church, and still is occasionally. Our denomination welcomes gay pastors, and ministers to gay youth who feel unsupported in the churches they grew up in.

FWIW we also have a large outreach to local homeless men and women, and women in a half way house for recovering addicts.

jimbogumbo

Sorry foR the double. How that connects to Sasse should be obvious, as you simply can't be a university prez in that denomination's affiliated colleges and universities without accepting that.

mahagonny

The part I don't get: how is LGBTQ or LGBTQIA a thing? I get why some people think it is, but there can easily be
Gay married people who are not fans of transgenderism
Bisexual people who are not fans of transgenderism
Asexual people who are not fans of homosexuality
etc.

Perhaps is a discussion for a different thread, although certain topics may flame and maybe should be soft-pedaled, or wait for another time.

Where Ben Sasse is concerned I would wonder as you did, how anti-gay marriage he is? Some, like Mitt Romney have said they are not supporters of gay marriage, but may also accept that their battle has been lost and it's time to make nice and get along with everybody.

Wahoo Redux

According to wikipedia he is against same-sex marriage. He thinks Florida is uniquely positioned to lead America out of its current turmoil. Many of my liberal blue state friends consider hatred of DeSantis and any who voted for him or moved there recently to be a litmus test for basic moral sanity.  This is going to be interesting.

I don't think he can coexist with DeSantis. I also don't how against same sex marriage he is. Midland U is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, which is LGBTQ affirming.

Hatred of DeSantis is simply evidence of someone who actually loves Democracy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Ruralguy

Not to presume  to speak for anyone who is LGBTQ (and the others), but I suppose its a thing to the extent that  they feel they have a common experience: living a double life perhaps, being discriminated against for simply being true to themselves and others, etc. Of course you can't assume everyone in these groupings supports everybody else, but since these alliances seem to be getting stronger with time, I would guess that those percentages are relatively low.

mahagonny

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 07, 2022, 06:40:20 PM
Not to presume  to speak for anyone who is LGBTQ (and the others), but I suppose its a thing to the extent that  they feel they have a common experience: living a double life perhaps, being discriminated against for simply being true to themselves and others, etc. Of course you can't assume everyone in these groupings supports everybody else, but since these alliances seem to be getting stronger with time, I would guess that those percentages are relatively low.

Thank you for the response....but no "I" for incels! They are ridiculed.
Cool people's clique? I don't see cross-dressers as particularly shy.
People like LA columnist LZ Granderson are still writing about when they came out gay. Good for them, but their battle has been won. The alphabet alliance they mention today seems to mainly identify them as liberal activist rather than openly homosexual, which is like, fine...who cares?
Gay republican = wants funded police, regulated immigration, less gov't spending, cheaper gasoline. Not far-fetched.

kaysixteen

WRT Sasse heading off to DeSantisland, what exactly (esp asked to Floridians here) are the chances that DeSantis will actually lose his reelection campaign this fall?   His opponent is a (reasonably) popular former governor seeking to reclaim his old job, giving up a safe US house seat to do so, and DeSantis presumably will have at least some electoral blowback from numerous FL Cuban and Venezuelan voters who cannot possibly be overwhelmed by his Martha's Vineyard stunt?

mamselle

Ummm...Sasse isn't going to FL to run vs. DeSantis.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 07, 2022, 04:41:37 PM

Hatred of DeSantis is simply evidence of someone who actually loves Democracy.

Right, the democratic party is the party peddling hate, while calling it patriotism.

You're forgetting (or perhaps not interested) that when DeSantis says 'we don't want this crap in our schools' (CRT) most of the voters agree with him. That's what governors are elected to do.

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 07, 2022, 10:01:32 PM
WRT Sasse heading off to DeSantisland, what exactly (esp asked to Floridians here) are the chances that DeSantis will actually lose his reelection campaign this fall?   His opponent is a (reasonably) popular former governor seeking to reclaim his old job, giving up a safe US house seat to do so, and DeSantis presumably will have at least some electoral blowback from numerous FL Cuban and Venezuelan voters who cannot possibly be overwhelmed by his Martha's Vineyard stunt?

Theory: the stunt was too artful to backfire. Icing on the cake: now the NYC mayor Eric Adams has gone from promising to beleaguered in a few short months, declaring state of emergency because of illegal immigrants. In a state that welcomed them. DeSantis polling ahead 11%.

Recent posts here typical of what democrats have been doing lately. Look at things and assess 'the voters have or will be coming around to these positions presently because they are the correct ones.'

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on October 08, 2022, 06:18:52 AM
You're forgetting (or perhaps not interested) that when DeSantis says 'we don't want this crap in our schools' (CRT) most of the voters agree with him. T

None of your sheep knows what CRT is, Mahag.  They just know it is the latest agitprop of the Republican zealots.  They are told what to hate by the right wing politicians and media, so they hate it.  No thought necessary.

As a counterpoint:

The survey, conducted this month, asked respondents to weigh in on the impact of teaching about race. When asked if "teaching about race in America makes students understand what others went through," 68 percent of Americans said yes. When asked if this teaching made students "feel guilty about past generations," 23 percent agreed. Just 16 percent of respondents said that teaching about race makes current students "less racially tolerant."

When asked if books should ever be banned for "discussing race" or "depicting slavery," an overwhelming 87 percent of Americans said no. A similarly large percentage said no when asked if books should be banned for "criticizing U.S. history" or sharing "political ideas you disagree with." And 58 percent of Americans, including 52 percent of white Americans, say that racism is a "major problem" in America today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/26/opinion/critical-race-theory-survey.html

Don't be a sheep, Big-M.  Think for yourself.

mahagonny

CRT: Once you know what it is, you find it's even stupider than you suspected.

I don't read the NYT. Too many errors and embarrassing retractions that aren't retractions.

This could open you up a bit, W:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schuzjknjYE

You can tell a lot about our times from a few examples if you observe well.
example, Raphael Warnock believes white people should attend his church to confess their original sin, having white skin. That's so absolutely nuts that it's the reason an otherwise smart, well spoken guy like him is struggling to poll ahead of Herschel Walker, a candidate with so many liabilities I might be able to beat him.

ETA:
example: Progressives today think Christianity is something you should be wary of, except when when people are using it for the purpose Raphael Warnock wants. Then they think it's a great venerable tradition.
And BTW, I am not your problem. If the choice is between BLM mania or MAGA, then it's the democrats who are electing MAGA.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on October 08, 2022, 05:03:14 AM
Ummm...Sasse isn't going to FL to run vs. DeSantis.

M.

I thought Kay was asking if Crist had a chance to win. If he did DeSantis wouldn't be a bother to Sasse.

Anon1787

Quote from: mahagonny on October 08, 2022, 12:01:32 PM
If the choice is between BLM mania or MAGA, then it's the democrats who are electing MAGA.

If "MAGA" candidates were as big a threat to democracy that Democrats portray them to be, then Democrats should not support their primary campaigns based on the political calculation that they will be easier for Democrats to defeat in the general election.

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 08, 2022, 11:06:35 AM
None of your sheep knows what CRT is, Mahag.  They just know it is the latest agitprop of the Republican zealots.  They are told what to hate by the right wing politicians and media, so they hate it.  No thought necessary.

As a counterpoint:
The survey, conducted this month, asked respondents to weigh in on the impact of teaching about race. When asked if "teaching about race in America makes students understand what others went through," 68 percent of Americans said yes. When asked if this teaching made students "feel guilty about past generations," 23 percent agreed. Just 16 percent of respondents said that teaching about race makes current students "less racially tolerant."

When asked if books should ever be banned for "discussing race" or "depicting slavery," an overwhelming 87 percent of Americans said no. A similarly large percentage said no when asked if books should be banned for "criticizing U.S. history" or sharing "political ideas you disagree with." And 58 percent of Americans, including 52 percent of white Americans, say that racism is a "major problem" in America today.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/26/opinion/critical-race-theory-survey.html

Don't be a sheep, Big-M.  Think for yourself.

Talk about agitprop. As if CRT is simply about "discussing race," "depicting slavery," or "criticizing U.S. history." CRT is a distinct "narrative" about U.S. history that is one iteration of an oil-and-water mixture of neo-Marxism (structural racism) and post-structuralism (identities like race are socially constructed via language-power games) that has been influential for decades.

BTW, AA practices like Harvard discriminating against Asians in admissions would also qualify as a reason to say that racism remains a problem.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on October 08, 2022, 12:01:32 PM
CRT: Once you know what it is, you find it's even stupider than you suspected.

So what is CRT, Mahag?

BTW, Maher's laughter is canned.  That was boring and full of bad analogies.  John Stewart he is not.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Anon1787 on October 08, 2022, 05:04:06 PM
[CRT] has been influential for decades.

Yes, it has.

And it is good to examine race, racism, and their consequences, right?  Harvard's stance on Asian admits should be included.

But it was only when rightwing media needed a rallying point that it became an issue for people who are easily influenced.

Your description of CRT does not explain why any of that is incorrect or an issue.