Sub-Awardee Co-PI not communicating /not cooperating

Started by sambaprof, November 30, 2022, 09:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sambaprof

Hello,

I am an Associate Professor in an R2 institution and I recently got $850K grant as lead PI from NSF program  that required I need to pair with an expert in the program's field. That expert (co-PI) need to be from a different institution but cannot be a lead PI and only can get sub award from the lead institution (which is my institution) where the lead PI (myself) is affiliated.

We worked hard during the proposal preparation and somehow managed to put a competitive proposal and got the NSF grant in September 2022.

While with the help of my student, I gave my best towards the proposal preparation, I would not have got the NSF grant, without the help of the expert (who is from a reputed R1) . The expert (Co-PI) sounded excited that we got the award when the award was announced.

Unfortunately, since mid-September, the expert (Co-PI) is not replying to my emails for my request for the meetings and the project is standstill for last 2 months. I am not sure what is the issue. If there is any issue from my end, unless he communicates I will not know it. In order for me to execute the project successfully, I need the support from the expert (Co-PI). Without the expert (Co-PI's) support, it is going to be a tough task to deliver the deliverables promised in the proposal.

Since I dont have much experience dealing with a large sized grant as PI involving sub-awards, I am not sure how the sub-award will happen given that the expert (Co-PI) from sub-awardee institution is non communicating at all.

Please advise how to handle this issue.

AJ_Katz

Have you called them?  More emails is usually not going to get a different response in situations like this. 

research_prof

Ask them to return the subaward and let your program director know. Your collaborator will magically start cooperating.

Ruralguy

I  think the best starting move would be to call. If no response for, say, 10 days, call the PD and ssk for advice.
RPs suggestion is rather draconian, but you might have to do that. Let the PD guide you on that sort of thing.

research_prof

Ruralguy, for people that operate in a competitive grant environment, trust me it is really frustrating to have a weak link in your project team. The work that the weal link does not do falls on others and others need to do it without actually having any money to support additional students, etc.

If you do not really care about getting the work done, then I agree: you have a lot of time to give several opportunities to the weak link of your team to get their stuff done. If you want to get the work done though, you give a couple of opportunities. If the weak link does not reply, you need to take drastic actions.

Liquidambar

Funding is to the institution, not to an individual.  You might reach out to the co-PI's grants office and/or department chair before escalating it to the PD.  Maybe the co-PI is having a medical crisis?
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Hibush

You will have to come up with a protocol for project management with the your collaborator. That is normal, so don't feel sheepish about having the conversation about what should be in that protocol. Talking with the collaborator is the best way to develop this, then follow up with a written version of what you agreed to.

You will also need to take on the senior role for this project even though your collaborator is more senior in other regards. They probably have a bunch of other projects, so clear goals and timelines on this one will be very helpful to them.

I have been on both ends of this relationship and these are things I appreciate in either role.

Ruralguy

RP (and all),

I just meant that strong-arming is *always* a solution of last resort. A competitive grant environment (or any other!) is not cart blanche to be a jerk.  Several people have offered solutions that are considerably less adversarial, and I believe most of these posters are in competitive grant environments (though you'd have to ask them to be sure).

mleok

Being a jerk about it isn't going to help the OP, since it sounds like the co-PI's contributions are critical to the grant.

sambaprof

Quote from: Ruralguy on December 01, 2022, 06:06:59 AM
I  think the best starting move would be to call. If no response for, say, 10 days, call the PD and ssk for advice.
RPs suggestion is rather draconian, but you might have to do that. Let the PD guide you on that sort of thing.

Thank you. Today, I made a call and left a voice message. I also followed it up with an email. 

sambaprof

Quote from: Liquidambar on December 01, 2022, 07:12:38 AM
Funding is to the institution, not to an individual.  You might reach out to the co-PI's grants office and/or department chair before escalating it to the PD.  Maybe the co-PI is having a medical crisis?

Thanks for the suggestion. I left a voice message to the Co-PI... If I dont hear for a week, I am planning to reach to their grant office person who was dealing during our submission.

sambaprof

Quote from: AJ_Katz on December 01, 2022, 04:38:35 AM
Have you called them?  More emails is usually not going to get a different response in situations like this.

Thanks for the suggestion. Today, I called and left a voice message. Hoping for a response.

sambaprof

I am meeting with the post-grant award manager this evening and will it be a good idea to bring up the issue (of sub-awardee investigator not communicating ) to them. If so, please advise how I should steer the conversation.

research_prof

Quote from: sambaprof on December 06, 2022, 09:00:26 AM
I am meeting with the post-grant award manager this evening and will it be a good idea to bring up the issue (of sub-awardee investigator not communicating ) to them. If so, please advise how I should steer the conversation.

I do not understand why this matter needs to be so complicated or sugar coated, if you like. The matter is simple: you gave money to someone under the assumption they will do X. They do not do anything and you will be in trouble since you are the lead PI. Either this person needs to start doing stuff or you will pull their sub award.

Ruralguy

Just ask the grant manager for advice. Best to just listen to what they have to say.

Yes, at some level, it comes down to what RP says, but as Mleok says, if your grant depends on this person, its to your benefit to bring them back into the fold rather than scare off or punish.

Also, there might be extenuating circumstances (serious illness or death in the family of sub-awardee, etc.).

But if it comes down to pulling the sub-award, you want to have first pursued every other reasonable option  and also figured out how to do the scholarship with other collaborators.  You don't want to come across as a crass bully, but a person who acts reasonably, rationally and compassionately.