Hamline U. Lecturer Showed a Painting of the Prophet Muhammad. She Lost Her Job

Started by simpleSimon, January 09, 2023, 03:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dismal

https://sahanjournal.com/education/hamline-video-shows-prophet-muhammad-painting-appeared-before-professor-warnings/

The latest is that the picture was shown to students before the trigger warning. The instructor was showing her slides in a mode where you could see the upcoming slides as well.

kaysixteen

Tough.  If we dispensed with all infantilizing 'trigger warnings' altogether, there would not even be this issue.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Dismal on January 29, 2023, 02:09:45 PM
https://sahanjournal.com/education/hamline-video-shows-prophet-muhammad-painting-appeared-before-professor-warnings/

The latest is that the picture was shown to students before the trigger warning. The instructor was showing her slides in a mode where you could see the upcoming slides as well.

I saw that.  It seems like more weak tea trying to be a tempest. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Langue_doc

According to their website https://sahanjournal.com/about-sahan-journal/, their stated mission is:

QuoteTo provide fair, groundbreaking news coverage that illuminates issues affecting Minnesota immigrants and communities of color and to chronicle how these communities are changing and redefining what it means to be a Minnesotan.

Their response appears to be a knee-jerk reaction to a student's complaints of bias. The student, a business major, could have chosen other courses if she had religious objections to what was being taught in this particular course. Demanding that one's individual beliefs be imposed on the rest of the class or the college is analogous to demands, for instance, that pork or products containing pork not be served in college cafeterias.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 29, 2023, 06:46:13 PM

Indeed. Does this lead to a discussion of the number of pixels in an image before it becomes blasphemous? (I'm assuming the "upcoming slide" view is a thumbnail in lower res. Would a single pixel image of the prophet still cause a problem?)
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 30, 2023, 05:08:37 AM

Indeed. Does this lead to a discussion of the number of pixels in an image before it becomes blasphemous? (I'm assuming the "upcoming slide" view is a thumbnail in lower res. Would a single pixel image of the prophet still cause a problem?)

Ha!  That's pretty funny.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 30, 2023, 06:22:41 AM

A couple of other questions had earlier occurred to me.

If someone incorrectly identified an image of someone else as the prophet, would viewing it still be wrong?
Conversely, if there was an image of the prophet, but it wasn't identified as such, would viewing it still be wrong?

secundem_artem

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 30, 2023, 06:38:02 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 30, 2023, 06:22:41 AM

If someone incorrectly identified an image of someone else as the prophet, would viewing it still be wrong?
Conversely, if there was an image of the prophet, but it wasn't identified as such, would viewing it still be wrong?

Sounds like the old George Carlin bit. "Would that then be a sin father?  Would that then be a sin?"
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Hibush

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 30, 2023, 06:38:02 AM

I'm not sure one can know whether the conditions posited in either question can be known.

Since there are no actual contemporaneous renderings, how can one objectively know that an image is of the prophet?

Kron3007

Why religious people think they can sensor the general public is beyond me.  I am all for accommodations, but there is a point where accommodating one group infringes on the rights of another. This image is obviously part of art history, which is relevant material for the course.

https://humanists.uk/2014/02/10/satirical-spaghetti-monster-image-banned-london-south-bank-university-religiously-offensive/

marshwiggle

Quote from: Kron3007 on January 31, 2023, 03:59:49 AM
Why religious people think they can sensor the general public is beyond me.  I

To be fair, cancel culture is about any member of any identity group thinking they can sensor the general public, so it's not remotely limited to religious people.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 31, 2023, 05:31:26 AM

To be fair, cancel culture is about any member of any identity group thinking they can sensor the general public, so it's not remotely limited to religious people.

While that is certainly true, the religious right has had decades of attempted censure of the general public, very loudly too.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 31, 2023, 11:03:32 AM

While that is certainly true, the religious right has had decades of attempted censure of the general public, very loudly too.

As has basically any powerful religious institution anywhere, anytime, in history. See Taliban, ISIS, etc. for other current examples.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 31, 2023, 11:06:59 AM

As has basically any powerful religious institution anywhere, anytime, in history. See Taliban, ISIS, etc. for other current examples.

Which is why Kron posted as hu did.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 31, 2023, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on January 31, 2023, 11:06:59 AM

Which is why Kron posted as hu did.

It's only relatively recently that non-religious people have been a large enough group to have the kind influence that religious groups have in the past, so the non-religious cancel culture mob is just getting started. (And their techniques are entirely like those of the religious censors/inquisitors of the past.)