CHE Article: "What a Possible U. of Phoenix Sale Says About the State of Higher"

Started by lightning, January 28, 2023, 08:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

https://www.chronicle.com/article/what-a-possible-u-of-phoenix-sale-says-about-the-state-of-higher-ed

The University of Arkansas System is thinking of acquiring the infamous UoP, similar to how Purdue University acquired Kaplan in order to expand online offerings. The University of Arizona has done something similar.

What struck me is this quote regarding the declining enrollment at UoP:

"the University of Phoenix, has roughly 85,000 students, down from a peak of nearly half a million in 2010."

I had no idea that UoP had fallen so precipitously.

The article uses the fall of UoP and possible sale to University of Arkansas as something of a statement on higher ed. It's irritating that CHE paints this possible sale of the faltering UoP and possible sale to University of Arkansas as a statement about higher ed. It's more a statement about University of Arkansas. Unlike the Purdue acquisition of Kaplan and Arizona acquisition of Grantham, UoP will be bad for the Arkansas brand and says something about Arkansas being so lame that they would consider acquiring UoP.

kaysixteen

Methinks that perhaps the precipitous drop in enrollment numbers may well have something to do with 1) the word finally having gotten out, through hard-observed examples, that a UoP 'degree' ain't worth the paper it be printed on, and 2) it probably is extremely expensive, relative to what ol diploma mills associated with public unis can charge.

Hibush

Arkansas has been going with a business model based on out-of-state students to allow it to grow beyond its natural share of in-state students. That's been working ok, with half the student body being out of state, so perhaps they see this direction as a logical extension.

They tested the idea of absorbing a for-profit with UA Grantham, and perhaps that has worked out already.

UoP contains a lot of infrastructure for distance education at a pretty good discount, but still half a billion dollars is a lot of money for a public university to cough up.

Like a lot of for-profits, UoP was designed prinicpally as a way to collect federal student aid. They are really struggling to meet the new requirement that a measly 10% of tuition revent be from students paying tuition on their own, because the education is worth it. Arkansas would have to change that aspect to be a little less blatant.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 28, 2023, 10:29:32 PM
Methinks that perhaps the precipitous drop in enrollment numbers may well have something to do with 1) the word finally having gotten out, through hard-observed examples, that a UoP 'degree' ain't worth the paper it be printed on, and 2) it probably is extremely expensive, relative to what ol diploma mills associated with public unis can charge.

I imagine that the pandemic killed it, since everyone started offering online classes (for less).

Good riddance, though.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

How successful is Purdue Global?  It claims either 32K or 44K students, depending on where you look.  I actually know a few (legitimate) Purdue faculty who are very angry about the online wing of their school.  But it appears to be successful.  The consensus from Purdue faculty, from what little I know, is that PG was an unapologetic attempt to make money.  Considering that academia in general is becoming more corporate and customer-service oriented, I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with that as long as there is at least a modicum of quality delivered.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 29, 2023, 08:47:05 AM
How successful is Purdue Global?  It claims either 32K or 44K students, depending on where you look.  I actually know a few (legitimate) Purdue faculty who are very angry about the online wing of their school.  But it appears to be successful.  The consensus from Purdue faculty, from what little I know, is that PG was an unapologetic attempt to make money.  Considering that academia in general is becoming more corporate and customer-service oriented, I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with that as long as there is at least a modicum of quality delivered.

Purdue can make the acquisition of a for-profit work. And, it seems to be working for Purdue. However, Purdue is several rungs up the ladder compared to Arkansas, so Purdue can take a few body blows without weakening the Purdue brand. Arkansas? No way. Furthermore, UoP was the most heinous example of a for-profit university--a poster child for everything that was wrong with for-profit higher education, whereas Kaplan offered online infrastructure, a less illegitimate history, and ready & existing clientele, all without the stink of UoP.

kaysixteen

"They are really struggling to meet the new requirement that a measly 10% of tuition revent be from students paying tuition on their own, because the education is worth it.".... I am not sure I get this?   

In any case, does anyone here actually know anyone who ever, with their UoP 'degree', 1) got an actual job related to said degree, and/or 2) got into grad or professional school somewhere else, based on said degree?

dismalist

QuoteThey are really struggling to meet the new requirement that a measly 10% of tuition revenue be from students paying tuition on their own, because the education is worth it.

Who requires this, Hibush? A university? A state? the feds? Anybody know?

I googled, but found nothing relevant.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Cheerful

Purdue Global

https://careers.purdue.edu/PGU/job/RemoteVirtual-Purdue-Global-Adjunct-Faculty%2C-Composition-%28Remote%29-IN/976577900/

Quote"Adjunct compensation varies per course based on student enrollment, program type and also includes a contribution to a retirement account. A typical adjunct in the School of General Education can expect to receive $2800 per full 10-week course. Retirement account benefits include an automatic 403(b) company contribution of 3% and a company match up to an additional 4% with participation in an optional 457(b) plan."

$2,800 for a 10 week course -- and instructors accept that.  Embarrassing for both Purdue and the instructors.

lilyb

Quote from: Cheerful on January 30, 2023, 09:28:47 AM
Purdue Global

https://careers.purdue.edu/PGU/job/RemoteVirtual-Purdue-Global-Adjunct-Faculty%2C-Composition-%28Remote%29-IN/976577900/

Quote"Adjunct compensation varies per course based on student enrollment, program type and also includes a contribution to a retirement account. A typical adjunct in the School of General Education can expect to receive $2800 per full 10-week course. Retirement account benefits include an automatic 403(b) company contribution of 3% and a company match up to an additional 4% with participation in an optional 457(b) plan."

$2,800 for a 10 week course -- and instructors accept that.  Embarrassing for both Purdue and the instructors.

This is what my place pays for a 15 week course, face-to-face.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Cheerful on January 30, 2023, 09:28:47 AM
Purdue Global

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was thinking about applying to teach a class or two for them.  That fee for teaching a 10 week course is actually somewhat generous in the adjunct world, or at least it is not out of line for an adjunct job.

Cheerful

Maybe I should have used an adjective other than "embarrassing."  Demeaning.  Sad. Exploitative.  Something like that.  Oversupply of instructors means poor compensation.

If you talk around and look around online, you might find that adjunct pay varies across and within universities.  At the same university, a full-time faculty member doing an overload or summer course may be paid more than an adjunct.  I don't find $2,800 generous in absolute terms.  However, it's all relative, I guess, depending on subject area and other things.  Some places pay based on experience/longevity and/or seats in the course.  I've seen and heard about $5,000 - $8,000 per course.  Prior threads on the Reddit profs sub also have some figures.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Cheerful on January 30, 2023, 10:40:57 AM
Maybe I should have used an adjective other than "embarrassing."  Demeaning.  Sad. Exploitative.  Something like that.  Oversupply of instructors means poor compensation.

Yes.

kaysixteen

I got paid much more to adjunct ftf at a fourth-rate college in 2014 ($500 more).   Inflation is real, of course, and people should be thinking about that as well.  And people in general need to become more aware of just how little most college fac get, though of course I do not know how to accomplish that....

emera gratia

Quote from: dismalist on January 29, 2023, 05:07:00 PM
QuoteThey are really struggling to meet the new requirement that a measly 10% of tuition revenue be from students paying tuition on their own, because the education is worth it.

Who requires this, Hibush? A university? A state? the feds? Anybody know?

I googled, but found nothing relevant.

It's a Department of Education regulation known as the 90-10 rule: https://www.highereddive.com/news/education-department-finalizes-9010-rule-college-ownership-regulations/635183/