News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May Research Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, May 01, 2023, 08:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

I did not mean to skip visits to this thread the past few days, but "life happened" and it has been one thing after another. Nevertheless, I returned to my manuscript and though I forgot to count words, it expanded from 2.5 pages to 7 thus far. I am trying to work a little on it each day with my goal to get it submitted before summer classes start in June.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 18, 2023, 08:35:53 AM
Translating, per usual, plus maybe some cutting and ideally a little writing for the June paper. I suppose I should ask when the deadline for that is, exactly.

Exceeded my quota, cut a couple hundred more, reworked the conclusion, and wrote a couple of hundred for June. Whew.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

The June deadline turns out to be the end of June or early July. I don't need all that time, nor do I wish to use it. But it's good to have the cushion!

Just translating today, and maybe cutting a bit more if I can. I must be close to the limit of what I can cut.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 19, 2023, 07:55:53 AM

Just translating today, and maybe cutting a bit more if I can. I must be close to the limit of what I can cut.

I cut the last several hundred words, for a total cut of ~2600. Oof. But at least I'm done!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Just translating my bit today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Translating and a bit of June Paper.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 21, 2023, 07:00:04 AM
Translating and a bit of June Paper.

650 words, and even read a couple articles.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Bit of writing, translation quota.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Just the translation, plus reading a paper for a referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

I finally took a big breath and emailed an acquisitions editor.  "Your project sounds quite interesting I would like to learn more about it."  Okay, well, that was at least an initial green light.  At least the editor is a pleasant person.   I am working on an initial proposal and clustering up a couple example chapters right now.  Took a lot longer to get to this point than I thought.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

darkstarrynight

I got the graphic banner on the repository and submitted introductory language for the collection. Now I am still aiming to finish this manuscript in the next weekish and also have a press release drafted about this once I submit it.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on May 01, 2023, 08:27:17 AM
What are your goals for May?

I'm hoping to make progress on the following in May:

• Book project #1 - draft chapter 2
  • Book project #2 with colleague - update proposal and submit it with chapter 1 to interested editor (ball is in colleague's court)
  • Paper #1 with colleagues - finish and submit to journal
  • Paper #2 with colleague - finish and submit to journal (ball is in colleague's court)
  • Paper #3 with colleague - it would be nice to get the ball rolling on this, but it is lowest priority

I've been chipping away on book project #1. I have a full draft of Chapter 2 and making progress on Chapter 3. After I finish Chapter 3, I'll spend a few weeks proofing/polishing what I have and getting the proposal updated, and then I'll start shopping it around.

I've also worked on book project 2 a little. My coauthor and I are going to have weekly meetings and I think we'll shoot for mid-to-late June as a target for submitting the requested materials to the editor.

Other projects are languishing for now, but I'll get to them as soon as I can (largely hinges on my co-author, who is MIA lately).

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 23, 2023, 07:12:08 AM
Just the translation, plus reading a paper for a referee report.

Did three days' worth of translating, and read the paper (rejection, I'm afraid, although I like its spirit. It's a term paper, though.).
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Just translating today, probably. Maybe either reading a thing for the June paper or starting to write my referee report.
I know it's a genus.