News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Another Seuss Cancellation Thread (Summer 2023)

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 21, 2023, 03:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

IHE: Leading Republican Wants Sweeping Investigation of Colleges' DEI Spending

QuoteCassidy is asking for an accounting of federal financial aid dollars that went toward operating DEI offices over the past five years. He has also requested a breakdown of how many institutions mandate DEI training for students and employees, and how many require students to take at least one DEI-related class in order to graduate, among other items.

This describes at least one college that I worked for.

jimbogumbo

Utah has a law that allows a very small (imo) number of schools to trigger a statewide ban in public schools: https://abcnews.go.com/US/utah-bans-13-books-public-schools-statewide-including/story?id=112680897

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 15, 2024, 12:45:08 PMUtah has a law that allows a very small (imo) number of schools to trigger a statewide ban in public schools: https://abcnews.go.com/US/utah-bans-13-books-public-schools-statewide-including/story?id=112680897

I'm not a parent, so maybe that changes one's perspective, but when I see these sorts of objections to literary material, I have to wonder if parents have any idea what their teenagers are talking and thinking about (and looking up online) when the parents are not around.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 15, 2024, 04:42:04 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 15, 2024, 12:45:08 PMUtah has a law that allows a very small (imo) number of schools to trigger a statewide ban in public schools: https://abcnews.go.com/US/utah-bans-13-books-public-schools-statewide-including/story?id=112680897

I'm not a parent, so maybe that changes one's perspective, but when I see these sorts of objections to literary material, I have to wonder if parents have any idea what their teenagers are talking and thinking about (and looking up online) when the parents are not around.

If schools are able to quietly (or not so quietly) unilaterally ban books like "Huckleberry Finn", then it's not too surprising that parents feel they should be able to get books banned. At least if the parents' actions require some greater public debate, then that's an improvement over schools' under-the-radar actions.

Perhaps the way to ratchet this down a notch is to establish a clear, democratic, open process for getting books added or banned. Getting the loudest ideologues from both ends of the political spectrum reined in would be better for all, especially the students.

It takes so little to be above average.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 16, 2024, 05:30:34 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 15, 2024, 04:42:04 PM

If schools are able to quietly (or not so quietly) unilaterally ban books like "Huckleberry Finn", then it's not too surprising that parents feel they should be able to get books banned. At least if the parents' actions require some greater public debate, then that's an improvement over schools' under-the-radar actions.

Perhaps the way to ratchet this down a notch is to establish a clear, democratic, open process for getting books added or banned. Getting the loudest ideologues from both ends of the political spectrum reined in would be better for all, especially the students.

Utah HAS a clear process- just a bad one. If I read it right either two districts or five charter schools banning triggers a statewide ban. That seems crazy to me.

Wahoo Redux

It has nothing to do with the process.

It has everything to do with people being reasonable and not trying to control things they personally object to.