News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

One submission for two courses

Started by marshwiggle, April 30, 2024, 05:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Kron3007 on May 29, 2024, 05:24:02 AMI was speaking to a student recently who told me a similar issue they had, but even more gray area.

They had failed or dropped a course and had to repeat it.  For one of the assignments where they got perfect the first time, they submitted the same version the second time.  They were reprimanded for it and now have it in their record as academic misconduct.

To me, this is a little crazy but that was the judgement.  I don't see how repeating this assignment would have contributed to the student's learning.

This is a particularly idiotic action, since the student clearly demonstrated the required knowledge, and for the express purpose of satisfying the requirements of this course.

May the people who made this ruling be inundated with students claiming that the amount of work they did should get them credit, since obviously it's only the amount of work that is at issue here.

It takes so little to be above average.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Kron3007 on May 29, 2024, 05:24:02 AMI was speaking to a student recently who told me a similar issue they had, but even more gray area.

They had failed or dropped a course and had to repeat it.  For one of the assignments where they got perfect the first time, they submitted the same version the second time.  They were reprimanded for it and now have it in their record as academic misconduct.

To me, this is a little crazy but that was the judgement.  I don't see how repeating this assignment would have contributed to the student's learning.

That's insane.

I once got 10/10 on an evaluation in all areas. When asked about my thoughts on areas to improve, I got yelled at because I couldn't think of any so put things like "teach a broader variety of classes, work on an EdD, etc" and these weren't about MY improvement.

What was I supposed to say?

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on May 29, 2024, 06:18:18 AMI once got 10/10 on an evaluation in all areas. When asked about my thoughts on areas to improve, I got yelled at because I couldn't think of any so put things like "teach a broader variety of classes, work on an EdD, etc" and these weren't about MY improvement.

What was I supposed to say?

That sounds kind of like certain recurring supplementary findings on our library's annual audit.  They appear on the audit every year.  Every year I have a write a little letter responding to them, and promising to take steps to improve in these areas.  Even though they are areas on which we actually can't improve.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

the_geneticist

We have the policy that if a student repeats a class, they have to repeat all parts of the class (exams, lab, discussion, etc.). If the student failed, then it's to their benefit to redo the assignments.
But
If the assignment wasn't changed & the student got it 100% correct the first time, I'd let them turn it in again. 
This is also why I have "inquiry-based" labs and different versions of questions to use every quarter. In the rare case that a student repeats the class, they ought to learn something new

Kron3007

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 02, 2024, 01:03:07 PM

We have the policy that if a student repeats a class, they have to repeat all parts of the class (exams, lab, discussion, etc.). If the student failed, then it's to their benefit to redo the assignments.
But
If the assignment wasn't changed & the student got it 100% correct the first time, I'd let them turn it in again. 
This is also why I have "inquiry-based" labs and different versions of questions to use every quarter. In the rare case that a student repeats the class, they ought to learn something new

Yeah, in this case, it was essentially a lab where they had to do some calculations and interpret the results.  The data and questions were identical, so doing it again with different words seems redundant.

I guess this is just one of those unusual situations that likely don't fall under standard rules.  I feel the administration made the wrong judgement on it.