News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cat awarded honorary doctirate

Started by Ancient Fellow, May 19, 2024, 03:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Oh lighten up, it's a bit of fun.

That cat has a good thing going -- a whole campus providing pets on demand.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Ruralguy

All four of my cats deserved one. Smart kitties.

Parasaurolophus

Seems like a better recipient than most, really. And not likely to disgrace himself.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Silly, but it achieved the purpose of getting a bit of coverage.  Now I hope the beast doesn't get hit by a car.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Ancient Fellow

Considering the sacrifices made by post grads and their families to earn a doctorate, especially in the midst of such a terrible economy and job market, I think the university's granting a doctorate to a friendly cat is remarkably tone-deaf.

Tell you what - Make the cat an Honorary Overpaid Administrator instead and I'll revisit my response.

sinenomine

You're responding as though this is an actual doctorate, rather than a feel-good story. Take a deep breath and smile!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 19, 2024, 03:43:36 PMSeems like a better recipient than most, really. And not likely to disgrace himself.

I agree! Sounds like he's been a valuable member of the community and has contributed quite a bit to the student experience.  And I don't think that anyone else will be grumbling about having been the one to truly deserve to be awarded a doctorate in litter-ature from the Board of Trustees of the Vermont State Cat-leges.

secundem_artem

We had a dog at convocation yesterday.  We missed the opportunity to confer a Dog-ter of Canine Letters.

I'll see myself out.....
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Ancient Fellow on May 20, 2024, 03:36:51 AMConsidering the sacrifices made by post grads and their families to earn a doctorate, especially in the midst of such a terrible economy and job market, I think the university's granting a doctorate to a friendly cat is remarkably tone-deaf.

I don't know that that's substantively different from most other honorary doctorate recipients, though. Here, the default is just some civil servant who's done nothing more than their job for thirty years.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

I thought the default was usually somebody who had given the institution several million dollars.

I can't work up any outrage over the silly story myself.  Perhaps younger me, still deeply distressed at washing out of grad school, would have felt different.  It took a long time to get past the bitterness of that experience.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on May 20, 2024, 10:31:19 AMI thought the default was usually somebody who had given the institution several million dollars.

Maybe down south. That doesn't happen much here. Certainly not often enough for all the honorary doctorates awarded!
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 20, 2024, 10:36:50 AM
Quote from: apl68 on May 20, 2024, 10:31:19 AMI thought the default was usually somebody who had given the institution several million dollars.

Maybe down south. That doesn't happen much here. Certainly not often enough for all the honorary doctorates awarded!

Ward Churchill received an honorary doctorate from Alfred University and then commenced to call himself "doctor" publicly and professionally.  I'd rather the cat get a doctorate.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 20, 2024, 10:27:20 AM
Quote from: Ancient Fellow on May 20, 2024, 03:36:51 AMConsidering the sacrifices made by post grads and their families to earn a doctorate, especially in the midst of such a terrible economy and job market, I think the university's granting a doctorate to a friendly cat is remarkably tone-deaf.

I don't know that that's substantively different from most other honorary doctorate recipients, though. Here, the default is just some civil servant who's done nothing more than their job for thirty years.

I thought that's how you get an MBE.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances