News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

UNC Chapel Hill spying on professor

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 20, 2024, 10:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Via IHE:

QuoteLarry Chavis, who's taught in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's business school for 18 years, received a letter April 22 from an associate dean revealing he was under review after the university "received some reports concerning class content and conduct within your class over the past few months."

That was concerning by itself, Chavis said, but there was something else in the letter that's worrying other faculty members as well. The associate dean, Christian T. Lundblad, told Chavis that the review had begun prior to April 22—using a camera in Chavis's classroom.
I know it's a genus.

Ancient Fellow

A very concerning article. P., are you aware of further developments or revelations regarding this?

spork

Administrators have to justify their jobs somehow.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Ancient Fellow on May 29, 2024, 07:59:20 AMA very concerning article. P., are you aware of further developments or revelations regarding this?

Nope, haven't seen a further peep.
I know it's a genus.

Ancient Fellow

I do hope some some of the national advocacy groups for faculty or free speech take this up.

Langue_doc

See this thread for even more egregious monitoring of faculty at a CUNY institution.
QuoteMembers of a private law firm appointed by the state to investigate claims of antisemitism at CUNY have been interviewing faculty members, scrutinizing events calendars and materials, and appearing unannounced at faculty meetings, according to scholars, administrators and faculty union representatives.

ciao_yall

Quote from: jimbogumbo on June 17, 2024, 04:23:15 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 30, 2024, 08:00:51 AM
Quote from: Ancient Fellow on May 29, 2024, 07:59:20 AMA very concerning article. P., are you aware of further developments or revelations regarding this?

Nope, haven't seen a further peep.

He has been fired: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/faculty-issues/academic-freedom/2024/06/17/unc-dismisses-professor-after-secretly-recording

Not that I think the university was this subtle about it, but...

Academic freedom only protects one's performance in one's field. So he cansay what he wants about business, but he shouldn't really "teach" about other fields.

That said, where is his freedom of speech? He is allowed to have opinions and even share about himself in class.

Wahoo Redux

I'm betting it's a parent who does not like her little Jenny or Jimmy Snowflake taught by an LBTQ person.  And the political climate made it expedient to fire him.  All should be afraid of this move.  We will probably have to wait several years for the lawsuit to work its way through to find out what really happened. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Puget

QuoteWe will probably have to wait several years for the lawsuit to work its way through to find out what really happened.

I'm no lawyer, but between the university's apparent violations of their own written policies on classroom recordings, and the potential for federal civil rights violations, this seems like a pretty viable lawsuit and one the university may want to quietly settle. If that happens and there's an NDA we may never get the details. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

It sounds like he hasn't even been told why he's been fired after 18 years, which is... Nuts.
I know it's a genus.

RatGuy

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2024, 07:08:24 AMIt sounds like he hasn't even been told why he's been fired after 18 years, which is... Nuts.

I understand that UNC didn't want the reason in writing, so a meeting was scheduled. Then the he didn't attend that meeting. I also suspect that this got started with a disgruntled student, but it's hard to suss out the validity of that disgruntledness. Sometimes angry students are snowflakes, but sometimes they're the only ones willing to push back against the cult of personality that can arise in the classrooms of long-timers.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: RatGuy on June 17, 2024, 08:53:18 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2024, 07:08:24 AMIt sounds like he hasn't even been told why he's been fired after 18 years, which is... Nuts.

I understand that UNC didn't want the reason in writing, so a meeting was scheduled. Then the he didn't attend that meeting. I also suspect that this got started with a disgruntled student, but it's hard to suss out the validity of that disgruntledness. Sometimes angry students are snowflakes, but sometimes they're the only ones willing to push back against the cult of personality that can arise in the classrooms of long-timers.

I thought the article said the meeting was promised but never scheduled?
I know it's a genus.