News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Getting serious about monetizing college sports

Started by Hibush, May 22, 2024, 06:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

I have no skin in the game, but here's the NYT on this topic.

QuoteDecades in the Making, a New Era Dawns for the N.C.A.A.: Paying Athletes Directly
If approved by a judge, the $2.8 billion settlement of an antitrust lawsuit would allow for the first revenue-sharing plan for college athletes. The question now: How will it work?

apl68

I'm just not very optimistic that anything truly equitable is going to emerge from all this.  Or that cash-hungry institutions aren't going to end up getting suckered by their business partners.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Hibush

Quote from: apl68 on May 24, 2024, 07:27:32 AMI'm just not very optimistic that anything truly equitable is going to emerge from all this.  Or that cash-hungry institutions aren't going to end up getting suckered by their business partners.

Equity is the farthest thing from the mind of the people involved in any of the negotiations. They all want the most advantaged to get richer at the expense of everyone else. The issue being debated is whose advantage will be valued highest, and which disadvantaged schools and athletes will have their money added to the pot.

Parasaurolophus

Pretty sure this is going to end up with someone offloading a fuckton of HerbaLife on a hapless college. (Kinda like Red Lobster.)
I know it's a genus.

jimbogumbo

I was going to post about Red Lobster and Sears, and the connection to US public charter schools when I saw this: https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/private-equity-rolled-red-lobster-rcna153397

PE won't do the sell property to itself -lease back- asset strip described here, but they will come up with something different to strip from universities. They don't get to be big PE firms without knowing how to exploit rules to make money, often leaving carcasses of industries. For example, a different scheme has helped fuel the rising cost of home prices and rents(yes, I know there are other major contributing factors), but PE is big part of †he problem. It will be something else for college sports, but it will happen.

And to be clear, I think the Power Five conferences absolutely have used athletes in football and basketball as cogs to make money, and the athletes in those sports should have a greater share of the profits.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 25, 2024, 02:28:16 PMI think the Power Five conferences absolutely have used athletes in football and basketball as cogs to make money, and the athletes in those sports should have a greater share of the profits.

I do hope that the full cost of their education, tutoring, medical care, insurance, and training tables will be deduced from their share of the profits in this age of massive student loan debt and colleges subsidizing sports programs.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 25, 2024, 08:22:57 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on May 25, 2024, 02:28:16 PMI think the Power Five conferences absolutely have used athletes in football and basketball as cogs to make money, and the athletes in those sports should have a greater share of the profits.

I do hope that the full cost of their education, tutoring, medical care, insurance, and training tables will be deduced from their share of the profits in this age of massive student loan debt and colleges subsidizing sports programs.

I was careful to specify Power Five for this reason: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-remains-power-five-revenue-leader-with-880-million-haul-for-2023-fiscal-year-per-report/

Bbmaj7b5

You could always have a look at this John Oliver video if you want to see what collegiate athletes did before the NIL agreement.