Main Menu

IHE: Trustees Dissolve Faculty Senate

Started by Wahoo Redux, June 17, 2024, 06:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

I meant to post this a little while ago, and forgot. Thanks for doing it!

I don't imagine anything good will come of this. IMO, UK faculty should all go on strike.
I know it's a genus.

Hibush

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 17, 2024, 07:09:19 AMI don't imagine anything good will come of this. IMO, UK faculty should all go on strike.

They should at least vote to dissolve the board of trustees.

methodsman

I predict this will eventually happen in a number of other states', obviously conservative ones.  Maybe even trickle into the private not-for-profit sector.

How did being a college professor go from being the best job in the world to near the bottom?

mm

Ruralguy

That's easy. People don't value education, or at least only value a very circumscribed version of education. Conservatives especially don't value it, and its weird, but I find that this is even and maybe especially true among conservative doctors, lawyers, etc. I think their view is that they didn't really need to read Shakespeare, learn Spanish, or even Calculus in order to take out someone's gall bladder. Education should be more streamlined so that it won't open itself out to irrelevant stuff and woke-ism (in their view). 

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: methodsman on June 17, 2024, 12:49:51 PMI predict this will eventually happen in a number of other states', obviously conservative ones.  Maybe even trickle into the private not-for-profit sector.

How did being a college professor go from being the best job in the world to near the bottom?

mm

There's politics and socioeconomic resentment involved, but it all boils down to expense.  College is so expensive it breeds discontent.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

Quote from: methodsman on June 17, 2024, 12:49:51 PMI predict this will eventually happen in a number of other states', obviously conservative ones.  Maybe even trickle into the private not-for-profit sector.

mm

All of the above, but I'll add a couple more related reasons.

1) A lot of professional people don't think that we deserve our positions, just because we are smart, because they're smart too (accountants, attorneys, doctors, mechanics, engineers, architects, IT professionals, etc.), but they don't get tenure, a self-directed flexible schedule, the power to tell your boss to fvck off, etc.

2) Ya know when most of us were getting straight A's in high school, there were people in our classes who were dumb and felt like cr@p about themselves because of us. We were trying to get good grades and we probably sincerely loved learning. But, we made dumb people feel dumb. Those people are now directing their anger towards professors, especially since the high-tech global economy allowed a path for smart nerds to win and increased the chances for dumb people to lose.

Sea_Ice

Quote from: Ruralguy on June 23, 2024, 12:33:20 PMThat's easy. People don't value education, or at least only value a very circumscribed version of education. Conservatives especially don't value it, and its weird, but I find that this is even and maybe especially true among conservative doctors, lawyers, etc. I think their view is that they didn't really need to read Shakespeare, learn Spanish, or even Calculus in order to take out someone's gall bladder. Education should be more streamlined so that it won't open itself out to irrelevant stuff and woke-ism (in their view). 

Quote from: lightning on June 24, 2024, 03:43:15 AM

mm

All of the above, but I'll add a couple more related reasons.

1) A lot of professional people don't think that we deserve our positions, just because we are smart, because they're smart too (accountants, attorneys, doctors, mechanics, engineers, architects, IT professionals, etc.), but they don't get tenure, a self-directed flexible schedule, the power to tell your boss to fvck off, etc.

2) Ya know when most of us were getting straight A's in high school, there were people in our classes who were dumb and felt like cr@p about themselves because of us. We were trying to get good grades and we probably sincerely loved learning. But, we made dumb people feel dumb. Those people are now directing their anger towards professors, especially since the high-tech global economy allowed a path for smart nerds to win and increased the chances for dumb people to lose.

Yes, all of this - plus the increasingly common confusion between what constitutes education and what constitutes training.  There are different words b/c they are not identical things, but too few people seem to remember that.  And, different people have different abilities to respond to & be shaped by each of them - this isn't a 'one-size-fits-all' world.

It's also sad that so many people seem to merge the continuum of "brain-washing - indoctrination - training" with the various levels of education.  There are many events/beliefs/etc. studied in higher Ed that you wouldn't want to adopt as personal practice, yet we study them without becoming them.  The crucial recognition that such is possible is becoming, unfortunately, quite rare.

methodsman

[/quote]

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XePPkTdCU&ab_channel=JonK

mm