News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ten Commandments in Every Classroom

Started by Wahoo Redux, June 19, 2024, 12:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

NBC News: New Lousiana law requires the Ten Commandments to be displayed in every public school classroom

Lower Deck:
QuoteThe legislation is part of a broader campaign by conservative Christian groups to amplify public expressions of faith, and provoke lawsuits that could reach the Supreme Court.

It will never stand, of course, and is just more ultra-conservative desperation.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

Conservative Christians shooting their shot with this SC...

Kron3007

Parasaurolophus

Don't different denominations have slightly different commandments (/numbering)? How will we ever determine which ones to display?
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Why? Don't these ding dongs realize that there are *gasp* other religions and that not everyone is some flavor of Christian?

evil_physics_witchcraft

kaysixteen

It is true that the chapter and verse numbering in the scriptures, in both testaments, were added centuries after the original texts were composed, the exception being the Psalms.  And God's Big Number Ten are no exception.  That said, the actual commandments are there, in no uncertain terms, and they are seen as such by all Jews and Christians.  It really does not make any difference what number you give to 'Thou shalt not commit adultery', for instance.  It is also true that this law is unambiguously unconstitutional according to all interpretive structure of SCOTUS within recent generations, though not all the way back to the era of the document's writing.  Probably everyone here thinks this is a good idea, but, well, this SCOTUS, maybe not so much...

ciao_yall

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on June 19, 2024, 12:39:35 PMNBC News: New Lousiana law requires the Ten Commandments to be displayed in every public school classroom

Lower Deck:
QuoteThe legislation is part of a broader campaign by conservative Christian groups to amplify public expressions of faith, and provoke lawsuits that could reach the Supreme Court.

It will never stand, of course, and is just more ultra-conservative desperation trolling.

There. FIFY.

apl68

I've honestly never understood the reasoning behind this, given that the Ten Commandments, while certainly still in force in principle, are actually Old Testament law, not strictly New Testament Christian teaching.  The legislators are engaging in some deeply foolish political signaling here, and it's disappointing that many of their supporters reward them for it.  Christianity is about being a living witness for Jesus, not engaging in cheap political theater.  It's no better than all sorts of foolish and annoying "woke" virtue signalling grandstanding.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

mythbuster

Can we have them posted next to the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the Five Pillars of Islam, the Four Purusarthas of Hinduism, and the Threefold Path of Asha (Zoroastrianism)? Let's take up the whole wall!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mythbuster on June 20, 2024, 12:27:12 PMCan we have them posted next to the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the Five Pillars of Islam, the Four Purusarthas of Hinduism, and the Threefold Path of Asha (Zoroastrianism)? Let's take up the whole wall!

Surely they should be supported by the Four Pillars and located on the Threefold Path.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mythbuster on June 20, 2024, 12:27:12 PMCan we have them posted next to the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the Five Pillars of Islam, the Four Purusarthas of Hinduism, and the Threefold Path of Asha (Zoroastrianism)? Let's take up the whole wall!

This! Don't forget the 7 tenets of the Satanic Temple.

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ciao_yall

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 20, 2024, 03:30:47 PM

This! Don't forget the 7 tenets of the Satanic Temple.

12 Steps of AA
7 Habits of Highly Successful People
David Letterman's Top 10 ... a rotating selection