News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2024 Elections Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, June 28, 2024, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

His answer concerning how he'd feel if he ended up losing to Trump seemed telling: basically, "well as long as I tried my hardest it's too bad but them's the breaks".

I would like to remind him that he is the one who has decided that "the soul of democracy" is going to be his campaign platform. That answer is not in keeping with that lofty ideal.

Alternately, you could just propose some stuff that made it look like you were taking people's economic anxiety seriously, even if privately you think it's bull.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Ruralguy on July 06, 2024, 07:42:50 AMAt this point,I dont see Biden going anywhere. I dont think heart to hearts with Jeffries or Mark Warner are going to do anything. I think ots almost time to give up on replacing Biden.

I'm not quite ready give up. Maybe there are some things happening behind the scenes. But I have to agree that Biden seems determined to stay in the race and odds of him dropping out are low.

Maybe sticking with him is the best electoral strategy for the Dems at this point - hard to say, as all paths are risky. But I'd much rather see them take a chance to change the narrative and bring some excitement to the race with a new candidate (newish, that is, since it would almost certainly be Harris).

Ruralguy

Its probably the safest strategy, but we know it has potentially horrendous downsides,
and only some small potential for significant upside, so, a probable loser anyway, but I think sunk cost fallacy will keep people believing and hoping.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Ruralguy on July 06, 2024, 07:42:50 AMAt this point,I dont see Biden going anywhere. I dont think heart to hearts with Jeffries or Mark Warner are going to do anything. I think ots almost time to give up on replacing Biden.

Agreed. Unless someone dies.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 07, 2024, 08:19:06 AM

Unless this is his swan song?

I can't see the next 4 months going like this.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 07, 2024, 09:05:49 AM

A swan song is supposed to be beautiful and haunting, not garbled nonsense. Poetry suggests it therefore cannot be one.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Biden's family and handlers have been trying to hide his decline from the public since his inauguration. Their luck finally ran out. Like in the UK and France, voters want a change, for good or ill. An open process to select Biden's replacement for the 2024 election will get people excited, present them with a (mostly imagined) stark choice between the R and D candidates, and deny Trump what he most thrives on -- attention -- as the election draws nearer.

Quote from: mythbuster on July 02, 2024, 11:10:32 AM[...]

Yep- We need to call Hillary.

I'm amazed that in all the NYT etc. discussions her name has never come up.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. On the chance that you're not: the DNC's 2016 choice of Hillary brought us Trump in the first place. Sanders was well-positioned to be the non-criminal Angry White Man in the race. Also it was Hillary's spouse whose embrace of neoliberal globalism in the service of Wall Street led to the 2008 financial crisis, which fueled the creation of the MAGA-base deplorables. All Bernie Sanders' wife did was send a tiny college into bankruptcy.

Edited to add: if any campaign managers happen to be reading this thread, I'm open to being hired as a political consultant. I'm good at messaging.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Ruralguy

There really isnt much more venue for an open process. Delegates can switch to whomever, but considering that actual people voted for Biden, this switcheroo doesnt seem fair.
The only switch that seems both possible and prudent is to Harris, and that switch is also fraught. Biden should probably drop out and maybe even resign the presidency, but looks like neither will happen, especially if some polls appear to improve, as some have.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 07, 2024, 09:34:37 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on July 07, 2024, 09:05:49 AM

A swan song is supposed to be beautiful and haunting, not garbled nonsense. Poetry suggests it therefore cannot be one.

Maybe that will be his resignation speech, endorsing Harris, and reminding everyone how well it has gone the past 4 years.

Ruralguy

Sun_Worshiper

That would be great and it is probably how it will go down if Biden can't salvage things.

There is a good article in Politico today about how many Congressional Democrats want Biden out because they worry that he'll drag them down in 2024, while certain Democratic Governors want him in because they want to be the candidate in 2028 and think Harris would be hard to dislodge if she is the candidate in 2024 and either wins or loses narrowly. Not sure how true the latter half of that is (mostly speculation from Democratic congresspeople and Politico reporters), but believable.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/07/04/governors-undermine-efforts-by-congressional-democrats-to-nudge-biden-aside-00166589

Langue_doc

QuoteLive Election Updates: Senior Democrats Privately Look for Biden to Withdraw as He Campaigns in Pennsylvania

Some paragraphs from the article:
QuoteFour top House Democrats told colleagues privately that it's time for Biden to withdraw.
At least four senior House Democrats told colleagues privately on Sunday that it was time for President Biden to end his campaign, during a meeting to discuss the future of his candidacy after a disastrous debate performance, according to three people briefed on the session.

Representatives Jerrold Nadler of New York, the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee; Adam Smith of Washington, the ranking member of the Armed Services Committee; Mark Takano of California, the ranking member of the Veterans Affairs panel; and Joseph D. Morelle of New York, the top Democrat on the Administration Committee, all said Mr. Biden should withdraw, according to the people, who insisted on anonymity to discuss a confidential virtual meeting on a sensitive topic. The discussion, which was still in progress on Sunday afternoon, was organized by Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the minority leader.

A fifth Democrat, Representative Jim Himes of Connecticut, the ranking Democrat on the Intelligence Committee, also expressed uncertainty about Mr. Biden's path forward, one of the people said.

Mr. Jeffries convened the high-level meeting, which included only ranking committee members, as a listening session to decide how aggressive and public Democrats wanted to be in voicing concerns in the face of the president's defiant posture that only divine intervention could force him out of the race.

The private calls came as members of Congress prepared to make their way back to Washington after a weeklong recess to confront questions about Mr. Biden's viability as a candidate and their own chances of holding the Senate and winning back the House in November. While no Democratic congressional leader has yet called on Mr. Biden publicly to step aside, five House Democrats have done so, and anxiety has begun to bubble into the open among senators as well.

QuoteRepresentative Adam Smith, Democrat of Washington and the ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, said on an afternoon virtual meeting of high-ranking House Democrats that it is time for President Biden to go, according to two people familiar with the call.

Robert Jimison
July 7, 2024, 4:13 p.m. ET38 minutes ago
38 minutes ago
Robert Jimison
Representative Joseph Morelle of New York, the top Democrat on the Committee on House Administration, was also among the Democrats on the afternoon call who said it was time for President Biden to go, according to a person familiar with the call.

Luke Broadwater
July 7, 2024, 3:30 p.m. ET1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Luke Broadwater

During a virtual meeting convened by Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the minority leader, Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, and at least one other senior Democrat said they believed it was time for President Biden to exit the race, according to a person briefed on the still-ongoing session who insisted on anonymity to describe it.

QuoteRepresentative James Comer, Republican of Kentucky and the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, is calling for Dr. Kevin O'Connor, President Biden's physician, to sit for a transcribed interview on Capitol Hill. "You have repeatedly refused most interview requests from the media, and the Committee now turns to you to provide answers regarding your independence because of the mixed and confused messaging coming from the White House regarding the President's ability to perform his job," Comer said in a statement.

Robert Jimison
July 7, 2024, 3:15 p.m. ET2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Robert Jimison
Comer called into question O'Connor's report following the president's February physical, in which he said Biden "remains fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency." This is the most significant move by congressional Republicans to challenge Biden's physical and mental fitness the June debate.

hmaria1609

From WTOP Radio: Senator Mark Warner of VA reportedly getting Democratic senators about asking Biden to leave
https://wtop.com/elections/2024/07/va-senator-reportedly-organizing-group-to-ask-biden-to-leave-presidential-race/
Posted online 7/5/24

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM
QuoteRepresentative James Comer, Republican of Kentucky and the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, is calling for Dr. Kevin O'Connor, President Biden's physician, to sit for a transcribed interview on Capitol Hill. "You have repeatedly refused most interview requests from the media, and the Committee now turns to you to provide answers regarding your independence because of the mixed and confused messaging coming from the White House regarding the President's ability to perform his job," Comer said in a statement.

Robert Jimison
July 7, 2024, 3:15 p.m. ET2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Robert Jimison
Comer called into question O'Connor's report following the president's February physical, in which he said Biden "remains fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency." This is the most significant move by congressional Republicans to challenge Biden's physical and mental fitness the June debate.

O'Conner is the new Ronny Jackson-

spork

Washington Post headlines:

"Watching Biden, many see the heartbreaking indignities of aging."

"Five senior House Democrats, in private call, say Biden should step aside."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.