News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2024 Elections Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, June 28, 2024, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 14, 2024, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 13, 2024, 11:02:16 PMI think what helps him is the drama, and the fact that he was able to play it up to the camera. If ever there was a contrast to Biden looking old and confused, that's it.

Doubtless they'll spin it as a Democratic assassination attempt regardless of the facts, too.

Maybe. But drama is not necessarily Trump's friend. When he was president his poll numbers generally improve when he was out of the media spotlight. People wanted a change in 2016 so they took a chance, but all the chaos was exactly what turned them away from him in 2020.

And those right wing talking points might not hold up so well given what we are learning about the shooter.

Yes. Despite being a white male who registered R and owned an assault rifle...

He also had long hair (trans?) and donated $15 to ActBlue in 2021 (a big donor, probably laundering money for Soros!)

RatGuy

Quote from: ciao_yall on July 14, 2024, 07:51:22 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 14, 2024, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 13, 2024, 11:02:16 PMI think what helps him is the drama, and the fact that he was able to play it up to the camera. If ever there was a contrast to Biden looking old and confused, that's it.

Doubtless they'll spin it as a Democratic assassination attempt regardless of the facts, too.

Maybe. But drama is not necessarily Trump's friend. When he was president his poll numbers generally improve when he was out of the media spotlight. People wanted a change in 2016 so they took a chance, but all the chaos was exactly what turned them away from him in 2020.

And those right wing talking points might not hold up so well given what we are learning about the shooter.

Yes. Despite being a white male who registered R and owned an assault rifle...

He also had long hair (trans?) and donated $15 to ActBlue in 2021 (a big donor, probably laundering money for Soros!)

My friends who are prone to theorizing, conspiracy or otherwise, have declared that the kid had gone down the rabbit-hole of right-wing Epstein stuff. In other words, he would've been a Trump supporter if he didn't believe that Trump was a pedophile. They also argue that it hasn't been confirmed that he's the ActBlue donor (same name, but maybe not same person).

Langue_doc

It's a feeding frenzy in the media--the sharks smell blood and the hyenas decaying flesh.

Back to the elections, you folks in the media.

QuoteI'm not saying Biden will win, or that he is a strong candidate. But Trump is hated enough by 45% of voters that they'll vote for the Democrat no matter who it is (within reason). Trump could still win in this scenario though - Clinton won 48% in 2016.

The Republicans who hate Trump might vote for a Democrat other than Biden, but there's no guarantee that they'll vote for Biden, especially because it's Hunter and Jill running the show.

QuoteThe Reason People Are Not Telling Biden the Truth

The first few paragraphs:
QuoteThey entered with courage and exited as cowards. In the past two weeks, several leaders have told me they arrived at meetings with President Biden planning to have serious discussions about whether he should withdraw from the 2024 election. They all chickened out.

I don't know whether Mr. Biden should drop out of the race. It's impossible to predict the outcome with certainty. My concern is about the decision process. There's a gap between what people say behind the president's back and what they say to his face. Instead of dissent and debate, they're falling victim to groupthink.

According to the original theory, groupthink happens when people become so cohesive and close-knit that they put harmony above honesty. Extensive evidence has debunked that idea. The root causes of silence are not social solidarity but fear and futility. People bite their tongues when they doubt that it's safe and worthwhile to speak up. Leaders who want to make informed decisions need to make it clear they value candid input.

Mr. Biden has done the opposite, declaring first that only the Lord almighty could change his mind and then saying that he'll drop out only if polls say there's no way for him to win. That sends a strong message: If you're not an immortal being or a time traveler from the future, it's pointless to share any concerns about the viability of his candidacy.

The president is in a tough spot. Even conceding privately that he might consider stepping aside could crush the confidence of his advisers and risk a leak to the press. But a little humility could go a long way: "I believe I'm the best qualified to govern, but I don't know for sure. I think I can win, but I might be wrong." Along with inviting dissent, these acts of receptiveness might make Mr. Biden more persuasive. People put more faith in a balanced argument and a leader who wants to learn.

Showing openness can raise people's confidence, but it's not always enough to quell their fear. In our research, Constantinos Coutifaris and I found that it helps for leaders to criticize themselves out loud. That way, instead of just claiming that they want the truth, they can show that they can handle the truth. If he hasn't already, Mr. Biden could do that by gathering his family and advisers to watch a video of the debate with him and then kicking off a candid discussion by talking about what he thought he did wrong. Reviewing the game tape together would demonstrate that he's willing to take an honest look in the mirror.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 14, 2024, 08:42:25 AMIt's a feeding frenzy in the media--the sharks smell blood and the hyenas decaying flesh.

Back to the elections, you folks in the media.

QuoteI'm not saying Biden will win, or that he is a strong candidate. But Trump is hated enough by 45% of voters that they'll vote for the Democrat no matter who it is (within reason). Trump could still win in this scenario though - Clinton won 48% in 2016.

The Republicans who hate Trump might vote for a Democrat other than Biden, but there's no guarantee that they'll vote for Biden, especially because it's Hunter and Jill running the show.

Biden doesn't have to win over Republicans who hate Trump to get 45% of the vote. He had over 51% in 2020 and Clinton had 48% in 2016. I'm sure Biden, assuming he is the nominee, will get at least 45% based on Democratic support and negative partisanship. That does not mean he will win - in fact, he would probably lose with numbers like that - but American politics are too polarized for either side to fall below a certain floor.

Anyway, we'll see what happens in November.

jimbogumbo

Rubio issued a statement that said God saved him.

spork

Quote from: jimbogumbo on July 14, 2024, 12:51:14 PMRubio issued a statement that said God saved him.

Of course. Trump is more important to God than Jesus, as pointed out by Reza Aslan six years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7pnPlQLcY&ab_channel=BigThink.

I'm trying to decide whether we're now Germany in 1932 or Germany in 1933.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

dismalist

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 13, 2024, 09:16:46 PMI'm sure this won't happen, but it would be good if he and Biden did an event together to tone down the political tensions.

Why? It's out there!

An analogy is given in the inimitable Paul Hogan's speech at the Oscars in 1986. The whole 3:66 minutes are riotous, and could even be taken as a persiflage of the 2024 election campaign, but the present relevant point begins at 2:45.

Paul Hogan: Why? You're here to sweat!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: jimbogumbo on July 14, 2024, 12:51:14 PMRubio issued a statement that said God saved him.

Of course. Ugh.

Sun_Worshiper

Rubio still auditioning for the VP spot

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on July 14, 2024, 03:36:42 PM

Of course. Trump is more important to God than Jesus, as pointed out by Reza Aslan six years ago:

Accurate. Probably '32.

ciao_yall

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 14, 2024, 05:01:42 PM
Quote from: spork on July 14, 2024, 03:36:42 PM

Accurate. Probably '32.

So, in 1932, to what historical period were Germans, horrified while watching Hitler's rise to power, comparing themselves?

apl68

I can't help thinking about Revelation 13:3-5.  Although it still seems rather early, and there are several ways to interpret the symbolism there.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

spork

Quote from: apl68 on July 15, 2024, 07:21:53 AMI can't help thinking about Revelation 13:3-5.  Although it still seems rather early, and there are several ways to interpret the symbolism there.

Thou that dwellest upon many waters, abundant in treasures, thine end is come, and the measure of thy covetousness.

Jeremiah 51:13
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

jimbogumbo