News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2024 Elections Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, June 28, 2024, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

From where I sit, it's clear that J.D. Vance is completely amoral, has no political principles other than to achieve power, and is quite happy to be a tool of our Silicon Valley tech overlords. He complements Trump nicely in this regard. It's also clear to me that his wife, the daughter of immigrant engineer/scientist academics, has quite willingly joined the country's plutocracy. She saw an opportunity and took it. Good for her. Hillary Rodham did the same thing.

If only Biden-Harris-whomever had done a better job of superficially pandering to people in fly-over country, we wouldn't be in this situation.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

Adam Schiff has publicly abandoned Team Biden.

Who will be next? Hakeem Jeffries?

As I think I alluded to upthread, the Democrats need to beat Trump at his own game -- deny him media coverage by turning the selection of a nominee into a reality TV show.

Edited to add:

"In the wake of Trump's vice presidential announcement on Monday, numerous conservative and far-right figures have taken to social media to launch racist attacks against Usha Vance because of her Indian heritage and the assumption that her influence on her husband's political career means the Republican Party will be softer on immigration." - from the Newsweek story at https://www.newsweek.com/jd-vance-wife-attacks-maga-trump-running-mate-1926194.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

RatGuy

Quote from: spork on July 17, 2024, 10:51:28 AMEdited to add:

"In the wake of Trump's vice presidential announcement on Monday, numerous conservative and far-right figures have taken to social media to launch racist attacks against Usha Vance because of her Indian heritage and the assumption that her influence on her husband's political career means the Republican Party will be softer on immigration." - from the Newsweek story at https://www.newsweek.com/jd-vance-wife-attacks-maga-trump-running-mate-1926194.

From the linked article:

QuoteIn his bestselling memoir, JD Vance praised his wife. "Even at my best, I'm a delayed explosion—I can be defused, but only with skill and precision," he wrote. "It's not just that I've learned to control myself but that Usha has learned how to manage me."

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: spork on July 17, 2024, 10:51:28 AMAs I think I alluded to upthread, the Democrats need to beat Trump at his own game -- deny him media coverage by turning the selection of a nominee into a reality TV show.

That sounds good and all, but being in the media spotlight has never been good for Trump's polling performance. People dislike him more when they see and hear about him all the time. A big fight among the democrats that paints the nominee as unelectable and perhaps senile is obviously high risk as well.

secundem_artem

Scranton Joe has just tested positive for Covid 19.

https://apnews.com/live/rnc-trump-biden-election-updates

In other news Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ) found guilty of multiple corruption charges.  This fits according to a pattern I've seen:

Corrupt D's are corrupt on their own behalf.  Corrupt R's change the laws so they and their friends can steal legally.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 17, 2024, 08:09:03 AMThe photo shows people of all colors holding up placards supporting DJT. It appears that the Republicans, unlike the Democrats are well-organized and united behind their candidates.

Given the visuals of Republican congresscritters and interns, this tells me the PR team found enough tokens to round out a photo op.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 17, 2024, 11:19:09 AM
Quote from: spork on July 17, 2024, 10:51:28 AMAs I think I alluded to upthread, the Democrats need to beat Trump at his own game -- deny him media coverage by turning the selection of a nominee into a reality TV show.

That sounds good and all, but being in the media spotlight has never been good for Trump's polling performance. People dislike him more when they see and hear about him all the time. A big fight among the democrats that paints the nominee as unelectable and perhaps senile is obviously high risk as well.

You know what... I misread this comment from spork and my response doesn't make any sense...

ciao_yall

spork

I highly recommend How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship by Ece Temelkuran. It's a great explanation of the path that the USA has been on for the last two decades.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... according to her analysis, are we closer or further away from evolution to dictatorship, now, than we were in 2020, when her book appeared?   I confess to not being impressed by the ability of Trump to have pulled a renaissance...

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: spork on July 19, 2024, 06:26:16 AMI highly recommend How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship by Ece Temelkuran. It's a great explanation of the path that the USA has been on for the last two decades.

Sounds like a stressful read. But while we're on the topic, How Democracies Die is another good one.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 19, 2024, 01:58:57 PM
Quote from: spork on July 19, 2024, 06:26:16 AMI highly recommend How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship by Ece Temelkuran. It's a great explanation of the path that the USA has been on for the last two decades.

Sounds like a stressful read. But while we're on the topic, How Democracies Die is another good one.

Hiding in Plain Sight, Sarah Kendzior

ciao_yall

Biden steps down

I would love to see a Harris-Trump debate!

ciao_yall

Biden endorses Harris!

I'm rooting for a Harris-Shapiro ticket.

What do y'all think?

clean

Will the Republican threat to sue to ensure that Biden stays on the ballots, especially the 'swing' states, have legs?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader