News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2024 Elections Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, June 28, 2024, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinenomine

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 05, 2024, 09:07:51 PM
Quote from: AmLitHist on August 05, 2024, 07:56:10 AMRFK, Jr., a dead bear, and a bike.

I'm having trouble keeping up with all the weird these days.

There is no way that his version of the story is true

Well, a worm did eat part of his brain...
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Langue_doc

Quote from: AmLitHist on August 05, 2024, 07:56:10 AMRFK, Jr., a dead bear, and a bike.

It is, indeed. The local news (print) are referring back to the incident of the poor bear in Central Park in 2014. See the NYT article:
QuoteKennedy Fights to Stay on Ballot, but Everyone's Talking About the Bear

The first few paragraphs:
QuoteLucas Altman remembers it well: On an early October night in 2014, he had taken his two Labradors to Central Park when suddenly they became alert, their tails wagging with the thrill of the hunt as they towed him to a patch of shrubbery.

"It was dark, I was getting impatient and I didn't bother to look," he said.

A day later, he returned to find out that another resident had made a shocking discovery under the bushes: a dead bear cub, oddly placed under an old bike.

"It was so strange," Mr. Altman, 52, remembered in an interview Monday. "I always thought it had to take somebody kooky to do that."

This weekend, a most unexpected culprit stepped forward to admit the bear dumping: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

apl68

I don't know how the news outlets are going to "spin" this, but it's hard to come up with any take on this incident that doesn't make it look like a piece of bizarre poor judgement on his part.  It looks very much like a juvenile prank that the prankster realized too late was likely to get him in big trouble.  A funny story as a college anecdote, not so much when the perpetrator is a grown man.

Even in the rural area where I live, where it's not unheard of--though, I should note, also uncommon--to salvage some of the meat from a freshly road-killed deer, this would be considered a weird story.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 06, 2024, 05:49:25 AM

It is, indeed. The local news (print) are referring back to the incident of the poor bear in Central Park in 2014. See the NYT article:

QuoteLucas Altman remembers it well: On an early October night in 2014, he had taken his two Labradors to Central Park when suddenly they became alert, their tails wagging with the thrill of the hunt as they towed him to a patch of shrubbery.

A day later, he returned to find out that another resident had made a shocking discovery under the bushes: a dead bear cub, oddly placed under an old bike.

"It was so strange," Mr. Altman, 52, remembered in an interview Monday. "I always thought it had to take somebody kooky to do that."

This weekend, a most unexpected culprit stepped forward to admit the bear dumping: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

What I'm saying is that Kennedy is lying about some aspect of this - i.e. that another person (that is, not Kennedy himself) hit the bear.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 06, 2024, 08:39:02 AM

RFK Jr

What I'm saying is that Kennedy is lying about some aspect of this - i.e. that another person (that is, not Kennedy himself) hit the bear.

RFK Jr. didn't claim to have hit the bear; he picked up the bear that was hit by the car in front of his.

This was in the local print news yesterday, and is already old news here.

In the overall scheme of things, it doesn't really matter whether or not he hit the bear; the weird part is wanting to skin the bear and then dumping it in Central Park, which is quite far from the place where the bear was presumably hit. See the link to the cartoon I posted upthread for the weirdness factor.

Puget

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Ruralguy

You could have picked someone who could help deliver an important state?

I think Walz will be fine, but there may be some blaming if they just barely lose by, say, one state, such as PA or AZ by a small amount.

But I can see why she made this pick (probably no harm done with internal constituencies , and a decent bio, and well spoken against Trump).

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 06, 2024, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 06, 2024, 08:39:02 AM

RFK Jr

RFK Jr. didn't claim to have hit the bear; he picked up the bear that was hit by the car in front of his.

This was in the local print news yesterday, and is already old news here.

In the overall scheme of things, it doesn't really matter whether or not he hit the bear; the weird part is wanting to skin the bear and then dumping it in Central Park, which is quite far from the place where the bear was presumably hit. See the link to the cartoon I posted upthread for the weirdness factor.

Yes I know the story. He is lying or having some drug induced fantasy. But you are right that it does not matter.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Ruralguy on August 06, 2024, 09:37:48 AMYou could have picked someone who could help deliver an important state?

I think Walz will be fine, but there may be some blaming if they just barely lose by, say, one state, such as PA or AZ by a small amount.

But I can see why she made this pick (probably no harm done with internal constituencies , and a decent bio, and well spoken against Trump).

I am surprised she didn't go with Shapiro. Maybe she gets along better with Walz or is worried about pissing off some voters in MI by picking Shapiro. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't make a difference, but you are right that people will look back on this as a mistake if she loses PA by a hair (same for AZ, but PA is more of a must-win state).

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 06, 2024, 09:52:30 AM
Quote from: Ruralguy on August 06, 2024, 09:37:48 AMYou could have picked someone who could help deliver an important state?

I am surprised she didn't go with Shapiro. Maybe she gets along better with Walz or is worried about pissing off some voters in MI by picking Shapiro. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't make a difference, but you are right that people will look back on this as a mistake if she loses PA by a hair (same for AZ, but PA is more of a must-win state).

I think they are betting on winning PA with Shapiro energetically campaigning for them around the state.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 06, 2024, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 06, 2024, 09:52:30 AM

I think they are betting on winning PA with Shapiro energetically campaigning for them around the state.

I'm sure they are. And it is possible that this bet will pay off - even slightly probable if you trust the polling and election forecasts. We'll see. But if they lose PA in a squeaker then people will be blaming this VP pick (whether rightly or wrongly).

RatGuy

In my area, the angry cohort that wanted Sanders (and subsequently didn't vote for Clinton) had promised to boycott Harris if Shapiro was the VP. It has to do with his record on Palestine-Israel conflict. I haven't heard them complain about Walz yet but it's probably coming

Puget

I read that the data show VP pick really has almost no impact on home state voting. Perhaps they used to when things were less partisan and there were more true swing voters, but do you really think there are people in PA or AZ who would vote D based on the VP pick who wouldn't otherwise? Seems unlikely these days.

Quote from: RatGuy on August 06, 2024, 10:51:25 AMIn my area, the angry cohort that wanted Sanders (and subsequently didn't vote for Clinton) had promised to boycott Harris if Shapiro was the VP. It has to do with his record on Palestine-Israel conflict. I haven't heard them complain about Walz yet but it's probably coming

Shapiro, fairly or not, was going to piss off some on the left, and then that was going to become a "dems in disarray" story. The first rule of VP picks is do no harm.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

jimbogumbo

The real worry with Shapiro as a pick would be Michigan. Dearborn would have dems sitting out en masse, and that would have been bad. Still might be, but less likely now.