News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2024 Elections Thread

Started by Sun_Worshiper, June 28, 2024, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on September 17, 2024, 09:45:21 AMHaitians eating dogs = Orange man bad!

dismalest: Your posts are often informative for me, but this remark is really trollish and serves no other point. The effects of Trump and Vance's amplifying what was started with a fourth hand Facebook post has been multiple bomb threats to schools, hospitals and public events. That is not "Orange man bad", that is just demonstrably bad.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: dismalist on September 17, 2024, 10:32:52 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 17, 2024, 10:10:38 AM
Quote from: dismalist on September 17, 2024, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 17, 2024, 08:25:24 AM
Quote from: dismalist on September 16, 2024, 04:31:23 PMAnother reason for those at the bottom to vote for Trump on immigration. Immigrants push down unskilled workers' wages.

Intuitive, but is it actually true? Evidence is murky at best (see work from Michael Clemens).

It's murky for economy wide average wages, clearly because some immigrants are high skill. It's not murky for low skilled wages.

I do know of one established theory that claims after a fall in the unskilled wage it eventually rises again to its old level. But that doesn't happen instantaneously, so there is lost earnings even after the rise.

Inflation? Surely second order. Inflation is made by the Federal Reserve, aided by the Treasury. Inflation seems to be the flavor-du-jour.

Haitians eating dogs = Orange man bad!

Actually it is murky for low skilled workers too. Immigrants can compete for low skill jobs, thereby decreasing wages (although various studies find little to no effect), but their presence can also create new labor market opportunities that can grow wages - including for low skill workers. Read the empirical studies and you'll see that the evidence is mixed and effect sizes are small.

And yes, it is bad to make up and amplify racist conspiracy theories. Even you should be able to understand that.

No, I read a survey, and that's plenty. The theory in much of this literature is, well, murky, to put it kindly.

It's taking fewer and fewer return posts for you to get personal. Well done.

It is an empirical question, so we have to turn to the empirical literature to answer it. Empirical econ literature is crappy for various reasons, but we have to make do.

And I'm just responding to your message board persona. If you put out a certain kind of energy, then you should expect to get it back.

jimbogumbo

A major party candidate for President is pitching this. It is really hard to believe. Martin Shrkeli even shows up in it!!

https://financialpost.com/fp-finance/cryptocurrency/trump-crypto-guru-self-described-dirtbag-of-internet

ciao_yall

Quote from: spork on September 17, 2024, 07:51:33 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on September 17, 2024, 06:13:20 AM
Quote from: spork on September 17, 2024, 05:45:29 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 17, 2024, 04:47:30 AM[...]

(Well, maybe Syria, Venezuela, and Haiti aren't too worried about illegal immigration.)

Places with very successful emigration policies.

As for the U.S., as pointed out by the U.S. Census Bureau and researchers like Matthew Desmond, the official poverty rate has ranged between 11% and 15% of the population since the mid-1960s. We like to keep some people poor and invent policies to achieve this goal. Unfortunately these folks don't want to pick vegetables, butcher cows, or nail shingles, so we have to convince other people to cross our borders illegally.

France,Germany and Sweden and others are dealing with racism and Islamophobia.

Uh, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but I don't see how prejudice in these European countries connects to the 2024 elections, poverty, or immigration policies in the U.S.

Because the issues are not related to immigration policy or a social safety net.

These issues are caused by racist natives.