News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

contacting editor

Started by paddington_bear, July 13, 2024, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddington_bear

In April of last year I posted this question to this thread:

"An acquisitions editor from a university press emailed me, indicating that she saw the title of a paper I'm presenting at an upcoming conference and said that she was wondering if my paper would be appropriate for their catalog. I know that these emails are probably sent out all the time so I'm not thinking that this is really anything. But after I emailed her back to say that my paper isn't really part of a bigger project at this point, she said that she'd be happy to set up a virtual conversation "to talk about [my] ideas for a future project."  I've never received an email like this nor have I been reached out to. Will the acquisition editor be asking me questions? What should I be asking her? Again, I hadn't really thought of this paper as part of a bigger project - I'm not opposed to it, of course - but maybe I should think of one before we virtually meet?"

I got lots of good feedback from this community about what this meeting would be like and what I could ask. I met with the editor virtually and told her that I'd contact her when I had something. Well.... time got away from me (and I sort of thought I'd never hear from her again) and I never contacted her. Fast forward to April 2024 and the editor emails me again to check in. I told her that I hadn't been able to make as much progress as I anticipated and that I should have something for her "by the end of the summer." She thanked me for the update and wished me a productive summer. Well....life got away from me again and while I've made a little progress, I think that "end of summer" is unlikely.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this. There's no contract. I suspect that she may email me again at the end of summer, only because she had already followed up with me once. Before she does that, I'd like to extend the "deadline".  But there's no contract or anything, obviously. She hasn't invested any time in me except for the first virtual meeting a year ago. And there's not really an official deadline per se. Should I just wait until she emails me? Or is the simplest and most professional thing to do to just email her and let her know that the end of the year is more likely? But would letting her know it won't be ready until later be a red flag for her?  I want to stay on her radar while not seeming like a flake.  (I'm worried that I'll sound meek and apologize for it being "late." Should I ask if it's "okay" if I send it late? Do I just tell her that I can't get it to her until December, maybe?)

Parasaurolophus

I don't think it really matters. You're just on the spreadsheet, and she's checking in periodically; that sort of regular contact makes you likely to submit a proposal to them whenever it's finally ready, and maybe even to prefer them over some other presses.

I wouldn't sweat it. I was in this position seven years ago, as a new postdoc. I spent the two years of the postdoc prioritizing articles, then shelved the anticipated book project in favour of another that fell in my lap with a contract, then shelved it for a few years to do other stuff, and now one of those other projects is being published by that press later this year. The editor didn't mind at any stage, and it definitely kept them on my radar.
I know it's a genus.

paddington_bear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 13, 2024, 11:09:49 PMI don't think it really matters. You're just on the spreadsheet, and she's checking in periodically; that sort of regular contact makes you likely to submit a proposal to them whenever it's finally ready, and maybe even to prefer them over some other presses.

I wouldn't sweat it. I was in this position seven years ago, as a new postdoc. I spent the two years of the postdoc prioritizing articles, then shelved the anticipated book project in favour of another that fell in my lap with a contract, then shelved it for a few years to do other stuff, and now one of those other projects is being published by that press later this year. The editor didn't mind at any stage, and it definitely kept them on my radar.

Thanks for your insight! So are you saying I don't need to contact her? Or just wait until she contacts me?

Parasaurolophus

I think either one is fine! But yes, I think it's safe to wait for her. Unless that will stress you out.
I know it's a genus.

paddington_bear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 14, 2024, 08:13:03 AMI think either one is fine! Bit yes, I think it's safe to wait for her. Unless that will stress you out.

Thanks so much!