News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Collaborative Work with Grad Students

Started by Yawo, July 18, 2024, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yawo

Hello All:  I have a question about how to describe / credit published work with graduate students in tenure and promotion package.  I have collaborated on a number of papers with my PhD students using data from their doctoral work or from their term papers. All students were primary authors on the papers.

However, some of this research also align with my research interests.  I can write about this collaborations as part of my teaching and mentorship activities, but can I (and if I so, how do I present these collaborations) in description of my research contributions?Is it better to simply avoid discussing the findings from student research in my research statement totally?

I appreciate your advice.

Danke, Yy

pgher

What field? That matters immensely. In engineering and most hard sciences, excluding students' contributions would be weird and suspicious. Other fields are different.

Ruralguy

Yes, in my field, a hard science, it would probably not be mentioned under teaching unless it grew out of some sort of seminar, which is unusual but not unheard of in the sciences. Mentoring, for sure (but don't mention the details of the research there). But, yes, it would also be included under scholarship for sure in the sciences, and really, if you talk about how the project ties into your general brand of scholarship, and are honest about everyone's role, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Puget

Second this:
Quote from: pgher on July 18, 2024, 12:52:54 PMWhat field? That matters immensely. In engineering and most hard sciences, excluding students' contributions would be weird and suspicious. Other fields are different.

In my field (psych/neuro) just about all research is with grad students (that's how labs and grad training work), so there is no distinction between "their" research and mine. Nearly everything described in my tenure research statement thus had student first authors (it would look bad if it didn't).

I did also highlight the productivity of my students in terms of publications in the mentorship section of my "teaching and mentoring" statement, as well as discussing how I mentored them to lead to that productivity (e.g., not just mentoring their research but also leading a writing group, etc.).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Yawo

Thanks so much for all your advice.  I am in the Social Sciences, where it is also common to collaborate with graduate students.