News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August Research Thread

Started by darkstarrynight, August 01, 2024, 11:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

It is a great honor to start this thread because I submitted my book manuscript this morning!!!

August Goals
  • Submit chapter with spouse by 8/12
  • Submit R&R by 8/15

I might add another goal: to say no to new projects!

Ancient Fellow

Nice! An suspicious day for you.

Spent the writing hour on a manuscript review.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 01, 2024, 11:47:00 AMIt is a great honor to start this thread because I submitted my book manuscript this morning!!!

Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to wrest the thread creation away from me with such great news!

For my part, the August goals are tempered by the need to deal with the housing crap, but still:

• Write up most of a book chapter
  • 1 referee report
  • Comment on friendly acquaintance's redrafted paper
  • Start reading for a book review due in Oct. or Nov. (can't recall which)

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 01, 2024, 10:41:57 AMSpending the day in town. Gonna try to write a bit, then read for the referee report.

Wrote about 400 words of the book, 650 of T5. No reading, but whatever. I can do that another day.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Thanks for reminding me that I also have a manuscript review for a journal to do by 8/23.

Ancient Fellow

Quote from: Ancient Fellow on August 01, 2024, 01:22:01 PMAn suspicious day for you.

My apologies - posted from my cretinous phone which auto-corrected 'auspicious'.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Ancient Fellow on August 02, 2024, 04:27:13 AM
Quote from: Ancient Fellow on August 01, 2024, 01:22:01 PMAn suspicious day for you.

My apologies - posted from my cretinous phone which auto-corrected 'auspicious'.

Autocorrect really has gotten worse recently. My phone is always doing that, and doesn't know the difference between "its" and "it's". It's constantly putting in apostrophes.

Today: pretty much just reading. For the referee report, and I found a new, useful, but niche thing for the book.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Ancient Fellow on August 02, 2024, 04:27:13 AM

No worries, I read it as you intended initially and appreciate it!

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 01, 2024, 07:35:44 PMThanks for reminding me that I also have a manuscript review for a journal to do by 8/23.

I just finished the review and submitted it, yessssssss!

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 01, 2024, 11:47:00 AMAugust Goals
  • Submit chapter with spouse by 8/26
  • Submit R&R by 8/15

The editors randomly contacted us and offered an unexpected extension! With two extra weeks, I can focus on my R&R and may even work on my Fall classes before the last minute!

Sun_Worshiper

Congrats darkstarrynight! Great work!

My August goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 (with colleague) - do more interviews and get it ready for journal submission
  • Finalize paper #2 for September conference (with colleagues)
  • Submit paper #3 to journal (with colleagues)
  • Keep chipping away at book #1
  • Make a few updates to my otherwise completed chapters for book #2 (with colleague)

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 02, 2024, 08:09:30 AMToday: pretty much just reading. For the referee report, and I found a new, useful, but niche thing for the book.

Read and wrote up the report (accept). Read a chunk of the new niche thing. Generated 500 more words of T5.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll definitely read another chunk of the niche thing today, and maybe also look at the acquaintance's revised thing.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I am taking the weekend off after finishing summer course grading. I will focus on the R&R starting on Monday.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 03, 2024, 07:25:24 AMI'll definitely read another chunk of the niche thing today, and maybe also look at the acquaintance's revised thing.

Fell asleep doing the first... =/
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Aiming for a spot of writing of some sort while I commute into town and back.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 04, 2024, 08:56:36 AMAiming for a spot of writing of some sort while I commute into town and back.

Translated another goodly chunk of T5. Almost done with one chapter of it. Which surely gives the impression that it's a project I'm prioritizing, but it isn't. It's just an easy thing to do when I don't feel up to much else or when time is short.

Also did most of my commenting on the acquaintance's paper.
I know it's a genus.