Raises for Promotion - Average Percentage at Your School?

Started by Zeus Bird, August 18, 2024, 12:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus Bird

I'm wondering what the salary raises at various universities are when a faculty member is promoted to a new rank.  My preliminary survey of available data indicates wide variability.  At my school raises for promotion to associate or full prof are about 3-4% of average faculty salaries, yet I notice that at other schools the percentage is much higher.  Different colleges fall at different points on the "pay for seniority" vs the "pay for merit" scale.  What is your situation?

spork

This is going to vary tremendously by institution and field. I'm at a small private non-profit in the social sciences. Way back when I was moving up the ranks and dinosaurs walked the Earth, the bump was $6K from assistant to associate and $9K to full. All faculty, regardless of department, get the same increases. Meanwhile a large public regional in the Southeast that I interviewed at had bumps of $3K and $6K respectively for faculty in the college. Cost of living was substantially lower but not low enough to make up for the difference in earnings at retirement. I have no idea how large the bumps are now at either place.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Puget

I got 7% with tenure, plus the 2% annual raise we usually get (in theory it is a merit pool that can vary across faculty, but in practice at least in my department we all get the same). There are also sometimes equity adjustments to correct compression or inversion -- I benefited from one of these a few years ago, which probably indicates that I did a poor job negotiating my initial salary compared to some of my colleagues who came in after me.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

RatGuy

Initially I received a 10% raise upon promotion. The following year the Dean raises the starting salary for faculty in my division by 5k, but this was offset by retconning raises in my division to 5%. For people in my position that felt like a pay cut

Sun_Worshiper

My tenure bump was 8%. Would probably have been more if I had a competing offer or if my dean wasn't channeling all the money for his pet projects. Still pretty generous though so I can't complain.

darkstarrynight

We get raises for promotion only, not tenure. Our handbook states that for promotions, everyone gets 15% of the average faculty salary (across all faculty) from the previous year. For my first promotion, my increase was 20% (my field is not one of the high salary disciplines so my percentage is high). For my recent promotion, my increase was 18% (16% plus 2% cost of living increase for all faculty).

Parasaurolophus

No tenure here. You get 3-4k or so as you move up the salary scale, with a few somewhat larger steps. The big bump is when you finally get placed on the scale, rather than earning the bottom-ring adjunct rate. That's something like a 10k bump.
I know it's a genus.

sinenomine

No tenure at my school either. There's a $3K bump to go to associate and $4K for full.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

kaysixteen

When one receives such a promotion, does it also usually include some increase or changed sort of work responsibilities?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: kaysixteen on August 18, 2024, 10:37:23 PMWhen one receives such a promotion, does it also usually include some increase or changed sort of work responsibilities?

Here, no. Although once you become "regular" (which absolutely does not mean that you're guaranteed any kind of course load!) then you can apply for grants.
I know it's a genus.

sinenomine

Quote from: kaysixteen on August 18, 2024, 10:37:23 PMWhen one receives such a promotion, does it also usually include some increase or changed sort of work responsibilities?

Those who are promoted at my school tend to get asked to serve on more ad hoc committees.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

RatGuy

First, promotion (and therefore raise) is determined by meeting certain benchmarks. If you were promoted, it means that you took on additional responsibility for no extra pay at some point in the past six or more years. Some faculty never strive to reach those benchmarks ("I'm not doing more unless I get paid for it now"), so therefore never get promoted or get a raise. FWIW, we do not have COLAs and in practice merit raises have been minimal (I got a total of 2k in merit raises over the course of six years).

Second, promotion is required for application for admin/advising/etc roles that come with extra pay (and course releases). Something like Assistant Director of Undergraduate Baskets, within a given dept. So promotion doesn't lead directly to increased or changed responsibilities, but it's the pathway for that if you so choose.

AJ_Katz

My university has the following defined in their CBA for promotions:
  • Instructor $1,200
  • Assistant Professor $1,750
  • Associate Professor $3,500
  • Professor $5,500

I guess in their view, someone can be promoted from an instructor to an assistant professor, although that, in my view, is not part of the promotion pipeline so it doesn't really make sense. 

Aside from those university-wide increases, the Dean in my college strives for a 10% salary increase when someone is promoted (GWI+merit+promotion = 10% total).  He often expects the department heads to contribute from their merit pool for that as well. 

secundem_artem

Raises......  How cute.  Here at Red Ink Uni, it's more along the lines of decreased pension contributions, loss of all adjuncts, all non-tenured faculty at great risk etc etc etc.  Raises.  Only in your dreams buttercup. Only in your dreams. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Ruralguy

I haven't looked at the exact bump ups recently, but its something like 6000 for Associate, and 8000 for full at my school

Of course, percentages depend on base salary, which is starting to have a wider spread between  fields than it used to. Most juniors are probably making between 60 and 75 K, but I am sure in a couple of fields its close to 100. For full, its probably more like 80-100, again with some well over 100.

We have increased service expectations for promotion to full. Its hoped you'd serve on a major committee such as
faculty policy, curriculum, and others. After full (and maybe even before), its hoped you'd *chair* some of these majors and serve on Tenure and Promotion, ad hocs, etc. Of course, not everyone will be elected or appointed, but most people can find their way into serving on something of use to the college. For a named Chair, hope is you'd have engaged in major service, as well as published and have teaching in good shape.

Since full and named chairs are more or less the only form of merit pay here, its behooves one to do what they need to do to reach these milestones since it can increase your pay by up to 16K or so.