Raises for Promotion - Average Percentage at Your School?

Started by Zeus Bird, August 18, 2024, 12:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artalot

Ours is 5K for Associate and 10K for full. We get no cost of living raises, just merit-based raises (which basically means you have to cozy up to the chair, the dean and the provost). I'm at a private LAC.

Mobius

There is a set rate that the dean's have, but most get more than that to address salary compression. Usually around a 10% bump to associate. Bump for promotion to full is around 12% based on what I've come across when new salaries are published in meeting agendas for the university board.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: kaysixteen on August 18, 2024, 10:37:23 PMWhen one receives such a promotion, does it also usually include some increase or changed sort of work responsibilities?

More committee work is expected, while also continuing to be a productive researcher and solid teacher.

On a more informal level, there is less protection from various requests. This can be nice if I want to do some overload teaching, but can also be burdensome.

clean

we have a flat fee approach.
Assistant to Assoc is $5000
Assoc to prof is 7000.

We do have a post tenure review process (PTR) too that is supposed to control salary inversion.
Every 5 years you have to be reviewed (or promoted).  If you are a professor, then there is a $5000 bump if you successfully complete PTR.  If associate, and you do not go up for promotion, then the bump is $2500. 

(News from today's president's meeting is no raises this year... so we are getting farther and farther behind .... In real terms (inflation adjusted) my salary is lower now, even after 2 promotions and 1 PTR adjustment than when I was first hired as an assistant professor! 

It is getting easier and easier to think about retirement as I am giving up less and less every year!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

onthefringe

10% at each promotion. Departments have to give whatever the maximum possible raise that year is (generally 3-4%) and the rest it matched from the central administration

EdnaMode

My institution is currently at 4% for each promotion level. Annual raises have only been around 1-2%, and some years, no raises. There has been discussion about changing the promotion raises to 8% but no one is quite sure where the money would come from or what would be done about salary compression, equity, etc. It's been discussed before and nothing has come of it so I think we're stuck at 4% unless something drastic changes.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.