News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Do You Have a "Go-Bag"? What's in It?

Started by fishbrains, August 24, 2024, 08:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

Or I've heard them called "Bug-Out" bags. Something for when you get "the call" and have to leave the house immediately.

I've kept one since we got the kids, mainly for sudden hospital trips. Just a small backpack with some snacks, a bottle of water, half a roll of toilet paper, wipes, pair of underwear, toothbrush, phone charger cord, band-aids, and two days of my meds. And probably some junk. My in-laws have poked fun at it, but a couple of times ago I was the only one with my medication and clean underwear.

I can't say I'm a "prepper" but apparently plenty of folks don't seem to do even this low level of readiness. So I thought I would poll the group and see what you-all do.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

lightning

Quote from: fishbrains on August 24, 2024, 08:03:30 PMOr I've heard them called "Bug-Out" bags. Something for when you get "the call" and have to leave the house immediately.

I've kept one since we got the kids, mainly for sudden hospital trips. Just a small backpack with some snacks, a bottle of water, half a roll of toilet paper, wipes, pair of underwear, toothbrush, phone charger cord, band-aids, and two days of my meds. And probably some junk. My in-laws have poked fun at it, but a couple of times ago I was the only one with my medication and clean underwear.

I can't say I'm a "prepper" but apparently plenty of folks don't seem to do even this low level of readiness. So I thought I would poll the group and see what you-all do.

I've had one of these at the ready, but not always. If I'm anticipating something coming up where I have to leave all of a sudden, yes, I'll have a bag ready to go.

two days worth of clothes, toothbrush/toothpaste/floss, deodorant, wet-wipes, notepad, writing utensils, two small bottles of water, granola bars, nuts, extra keys to places I live, ID, Swiss army knife, that credit card I almost never use

At first, I thought your question was if we had bags ready to leave the country suddenly (like a Jason Bourne scenario).

For the Jason Bourne bag, all of the above+: 1,500 Euros, $2,000 USD, passport card, debit card for secret Swiss bank account, laptop with VPN, pocket knife, taser, billy club, shuriken, password book to accounts for alternate identity, key to condo in Tijuana, key to locker with even more stuff

What I am really fantasizing about is an office situation where there is barely anything in it that is mine, and if I decide to quit suddenly one day, I can leave with all my stuff in one bag, in a matter of a few minutes. I often think about how cool it would be if everything in my office could be saved digitally, so I could be a digital nomad

dismalist

Yes, I am ready. Very little in it except for wine, and a credit card in my wallet. Let's get our priorities straight.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

I live in an earthquake zone (on a huge fault) and on an island accessible only by ferry (meaning a wildfire would be a very bad thing). So yes.

We've got two bags of very basic supplies--water, food, food and water for the cats, medkit, firestarter, knife, whistle, etc., along with a change of clothes and solar/crank radio and flashlight, along with some cash, and spare chargers. These bags live in the car. The car also has its own set of supplementary emergency stuff--spare sweaters, hatchet, blankets and sleeping bags, lighter and firesteel, a couple of emergency snacks, etc.

But we'd still want to grab a few things on the way out. Laptops, ID, etc. But one of these days I'll get us a fireproof safe for the wills, title, and whatever else we have that shouldn't turn to carbon.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Good point. Never had one.

To be fair, when we were first married we lived across the street from a childless couple with an absolutely huge, packed pantry. We figured we could mooch off them.

Then when we moved we were across the street from Safeway so decided we could just loot them.

Now in the burbs in a fire zone, we should rethink that strategy. A neighbor who is a fireman says we shouldn't evacuate because there is more danger in being stuck in our cars, and our houses are designed to be safe in a fire.

Still a go-bag is a good idea.

nebo113

Puget

Here is the FEMA list of what you should have in an emergency kit: https://www.ready.gov/kit?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD3mXG6TF7namER31KrOoDFUxg9TM&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrKu2BhDkARIsAD7GBotoNBBJpOSU04bD_y8O-NYaSCoe0HW4OsIBjXPZKXTbu0xKiAc9B84aApAQEALw_wcB

I don't live someplace where natural disasters are common now, so don't have a full kit, but have the basics to make sure I'll be OK without power in a winter storm (gas fireplace with an emergency battery starter for heat, crank flashlight/phone charger, ready to eat food on hand). 

Where I grew up and parents still live in an earthquake zone -- there it is not so much a go back as a stay kit -- after a major quake in their semi-rural area, it may be necessary to be self-sufficient for two weeks or even longer, so they have a stock of non-perishable ready to eat food, water, camp stove and fuel, solar charging battery pack, crank radio/flashlight/phone charger etc.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

lightning

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 24, 2024, 11:20:06 PMI live in an earthquake zone (on a huge fault) and on an island accessible only by ferry (meaning a wildfire would be a very bad thing). So yes.

We've got two bags of very basic supplies--water, food, food and water for the cats, medkit, firestarter, knife, whistle, etc., along with a change of clothes and solar/crank radio and flashlight, along with some cash, and spare chargers. These bags live in the car. The car also has its own set of supplementary emergency stuff--spare sweaters, hatchet, blankets and sleeping bags, lighter and firesteel, a couple of emergency snacks, etc.

But we'd still want to grab a few things on the way out. Laptops, ID, etc. But one of these days I'll get us a fireproof safe for the wills, title, and whatever else we have that shouldn't turn to carbon.

These are great ideas! I didn't think of a Go Bag for natural disasters, because I don't live in an area that is prone to anything that you describe, but no matter what region one lives in, anyone can be subject to a power outage, so like yours, my Go Bag should have a hand-crank flashlight and radio.

fishbrains

Quote from: dismalist on August 24, 2024, 09:12:40 PMYes, I am ready. Very little in it except for wine, and a credit card in my wallet. Let's get our priorities straight.

We've found that pulling out booze in the ER, even if you know you're going to be there all night with your kid, is frowned upon by the hospital staff. Or they expect you to share . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

spork

Quote from: lightning on August 24, 2024, 08:44:12 PM[...]

two days worth of clothes, toothbrush/toothpaste/floss, deodorant, wet-wipes, notepad, writing utensils, two small bottles of water, granola bars, nuts, extra keys to places I live, ID, Swiss army knife, that credit card I almost never use

At first, I thought your question was if we had bags ready to leave the country suddenly (like a Jason Bourne scenario).

For the Jason Bourne bag, all of the above+: 1,500 Euros, $2,000 USD, passport card, debit card for secret Swiss bank account, laptop with VPN, pocket knife, taser, billy club, shuriken, password book to accounts for alternate identity, key to condo in Tijuana, key to locker with even more stuff

In reality not that long ago -- 1990s and 2000s -- my international travels required strapping up to US$7,000 in cash to my body. My destinations were under U.S. economic sanctions or were otherwise so dysfunctional that one had to use black market moneychangers. Nowadays ATM and credit cards generally do the trick, and they are much easier to carry unobtrusively.

Whether at home or when traveling, it is always a good idea when traveling to have a bag within reach that contains essentials in case of emergency. That includes enough cash to get somewhere else -- ATM/credit cards won't work in a widespread power outage -- flashlight, water, high caloric content shelf-stable snacks, a change of clothes, prescription medicine, phone charger cord, and necessary documentation.

While I have never been in a building that has come under attack, I have had to exit a hotel that was on fire. I also once had to use the emergency evacuation slide on a Boeing 747 during an aborted takeoff at a foreign airport, which demonstrated why it's wise to always have one's passport on one's body rather than in a purse or carry-on bag while in transit.

Also, if you are staying anywhere where the door is secured with a physical lock, never leave the key in the lock when inside the room. If you lock yourself out, often security cannot insert a master key from the outside to open the door if there is already a key in the lock from the other side. Hang it from the door handle on a cord instead.

QuoteWhat I am really fantasizing about is an office situation where there is barely anything in it that is mine, and if I decide to quit suddenly one day, I can leave with all my stuff in one bag, in a matter of a few minutes. I often think about how cool it would be if everything in my office could be saved digitally, so I could be a digital nomad

I emptied my office of everything except desk, table, chair, and bookcase in the week before spring break of March 2020. I did not restock it after campus re-opened in 2021. Most days I go to campus, teach, and leave. A decorated office is superfluous to my job.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

clean

I still have not unpacked from my last trip (a week ago!!)  Does that count as a Go Bag? -  the clothes are all clean - dirty ones did get put in laundry area!   

If not, then I do not have a 'go bag' as such. 
However, I have a fully stocked Hurricane kit (plenty of food, a generator that mostly works now (and I have the parts to fully fix it) so i have freezers/fridge plus the normal pantry.

I have a bag at my parents' house as that would be an emergency destination. (either because I have an emergency or more likley I think they do.... though they seem to NOT TELL us about it when they have one!!)  I have several day's worth of clothes and toiletries.  (It also means that I wont need to check a bag If I have to get there quickly)

In addition to actual cash money (smaller bills, not 100s), I do have credit! 

(A long ago coworker claimed that he liked to go to Vegas for vacation and he was 'packed' by putting a tooth brush and Amex card in his pocket!)

Anyway, I am prepared for the At Home/shelter in place emergency, mostly.  We are not in a fire zone, but a hurricane area.  the benefit of hurricanes is that you get some warning to fill up OR evacuate out of the danger zone.   A tornado could be a problem, but even then, the disaster area is relatively small so credit cards should work. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

We live a whole state away from the nearest coast, have minimal flooding risk, and don't at this time seem to be at great risk of massive wildfires or earthquakes.  The big risks here are sudden wind storms and possible tornadoes--the sort of hazards that you can't really see coming days ahead of time to flee from.  So I've never made preparations of this kind.  I've gone back and forth as to whether to get a generator to give the house some minimal electricity support in the event of another days-long outage of the sort we've had several times in recent years.  So far I've just toughed it out.

Evidently the summer heat has been straining our local electrical grid.  We didn't have any sort of rain or winds yesterday, but several blocks not far from my house were blacked out for hours yesterday evening for no apparent reason.  We had to relocate a planned Bible study to another house that had power.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.