News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Proposal dual submission

Started by Vid, August 31, 2024, 07:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vid

Folks,

Do any of you have experience with proposal dual submission? We are planning to submit a proposal to the NSF and another agency. We will submit it first to the NSF. Should I inform the NSF and another agency about dual submission? Does this decision affect the proposal review?

We are still evaluating our options for the second funding agency, I would like to know the pros and cons of this decision. We will withdraw from the second funding agency if it is funded by NSF or vs.

Thank you. 
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

bio-nonymous

I do know that NIH would require you to list the other proposal as pending funding, and that two NIH proposals cannot have significant overlap (whether they are targeted to different institutes or not). BUT, what other funders require I cannot say...

Puget

Since current and pending other support documents are now only required (at least by NIH, NSF, IES) at the "just in time" stage post-review if a proposal is being considered for funding, it really isn't an issue at submission and you wouldn't need to disclose anything at that point. However, if you end up in the lucky situation where both proposals are potentially fundable, you'll very likely only be able to have one funded, and at minimum would have to remove any budgetary overlap.  We were recently in this situation with NSF and IES, and although we argued that they were distinct enough to be two separate proposals in the end the agencies made us choose one to be funded and declined the other (one is still a good outcome, I'm not complaining too much!).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Vid

Quote from: Puget on September 03, 2024, 07:20:57 AMSince current and pending other support documents are now only required (at least by NIH, NSF, IES) at the "just in time" stage post-review if a proposal is being considered for funding, it really isn't an issue at submission and you wouldn't need to disclose anything at that point. However, if you end up in the lucky situation where both proposals are potentially fundable, you'll very likely only be able to have one funded, and at minimum would have to remove any budgetary overlap.  We were recently in this situation with NSF and IES, and although we argued that they were distinct enough to be two separate proposals in the end the agencies made us choose one to be funded and declined the other (one is still a good outcome, I'm not complaining too much!).

Puget:  Did you change the title of the proposal for the second agency submission? My university AOR said we have to inform NSF (the first agency)about dual submission. Not sure if this will impact the reviewing process at NSF.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

Puget

Quote from: Vid on September 05, 2024, 08:43:41 AM
Quote from: Puget on September 03, 2024, 07:20:57 AMSince current and pending other support documents are now only required (at least by NIH, NSF, IES) at the "just in time" stage post-review if a proposal is being considered for funding, it really isn't an issue at submission and you wouldn't need to disclose anything at that point. However, if you end up in the lucky situation where both proposals are potentially fundable, you'll very likely only be able to have one funded, and at minimum would have to remove any budgetary overlap.  We were recently in this situation with NSF and IES, and although we argued that they were distinct enough to be two separate proposals in the end the agencies made us choose one to be funded and declined the other (one is still a good outcome, I'm not complaining too much!).

Puget:  Did you change the title of the proposal for the second agency submission? My university AOR said we have to inform NSF (the first agency)about dual submission. Not sure if this will impact the reviewing process at NSF.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The proposals had somewhat different titles and were not identical by any means (but were still demanded too similar to have both funded in the end).  "Dual submission" to me implies sending the exact same proposal. But you should follow your AOR's guidance on this. Given the different priorities and mechanisms at different agencies, I don't see it being advisable to submit the exact same proposal anyway.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hazelshade

Current and pending support documents are still very much required at the time of submission for NSF. Assuming you're not submitting to the Biological Sciences Directorate, it's permissible to submit the same proposal to the NSF and another agency simultaneously (though, as others have noted, submitting an identical proposal can have some downsides due to different goals across agencies), but for the NSF proposal, you will have to disclose this in the CPS document (both the existence of the other proposal and the extent of its overlap with the NSF proposal).