News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

HLC is considering degrees with fewer than 120 credits

Started by jimbogumbo, September 04, 2024, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: Mobius on September 14, 2024, 09:42:12 AMIt's a jobs program for adjuncts. FT faculty aren't involved in many of these courses.

Quote from: dismalist on September 10, 2024, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: Hibush on September 10, 2024, 01:53:24 PM
Quote from: Mobius on September 10, 2024, 09:48:05 AMt's too soon, but I'd love to see data on job outcomes for the 90-credit grads compared to the traditional bachelor's degree at BYU-I.

I don't think it is a realistic comparison because the student base is so different. Traditional BYI-I students are a year or so older than elsewhere because they have done a mission. They have largely been on a college track through high school.

BYU-I students in the 90-credit program are "those who have not felt higher education was a viable option for them." Demographically, they "The average online student is 33 years old, takes two classes at a time, works full time and supports a family."

The relevant comparison is with those who don't go back to school.
In fact, if you did compare job outcomes post graduation, the 90-credit alumni will likely be far ahead because they have at least a decade of work experience more than the traditional ones.

The quoted article is a gem: Talk about content control and market segmentation!

The Gen Ed Jobs Program for faculty stays. It's the electives that go. Choice for thee, but not for me.

It's all on-line so that there is minimal substitution out of a 4-year degree program. And, it's limited in subject matter.

One can't do a better job of making the three year option unattractive. That's one purpose of accreditation.

Never realized that adjuncts had so much institutional power.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Mobius

And no tenure for FT faculty, either.

There is a large adjunct army of LDS with master's degrees who want extra income. The target base is not just U.S. students.The degree is going to be heavily marketed to students where a three-year bachelor's is standard.

The tuition costs is also the attraction. There is a sliding cost for tuition based on where the student is at. Students in Argentina pay $3.25 per credit hour. Goes to around $12-15 for other developing countries. It's $83 for students in the U.S.

dismalist

Quote from: Mobius on September 14, 2024, 06:41:10 PMAnd no tenure for FT faculty, either.

There is a large adjunct army of LDS with master's degrees who want extra income. The target base is not just U.S. students.The degree is going to be heavily marketed to students where a three-year bachelor's is standard.

The tuition costs is also the attraction. There is a sliding cost for tuition based on where the student is at. Students in Argentina pay $3.25 per credit hour. Goes to around $12-15 for other developing countries. It's $83 for students in the U.S.

Highly intelligent price discrimination! Or, in the lingo of higher education, financial aid.

I knew it was all too good to be true, or should have known.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli