News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Wireless and Wireline Technology

Started by dlehman, September 12, 2024, 06:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlehman

I am about to switch from cable internet to fiber.  I do a lot of online teaching and have always used a wired Ethernet connection rather than wireless.  My current wifi router will not work with the fiber connection - the provider is putting in a wireless mesh network. In theory it should work fine, although reviews are mixed.  It has led me to test my current wifi connection.  I have 1Gb internet and get close to 900 Mbps on my wired connection.  My wireless gives me around 350 Mbps - regardless of where in the house I check it and regardless of what device I use.  I am beginning to believe that the stated wireless speeds (according to my wifi router, various antennas, and other wireless equipment) are simply not achievable.  The manufacturers all point to potential interference, congested channels, etc. but it is starting to look like a simple diversionary tactic.

What I am wondering is whether the stated wireless capabilities are just lies - has anybody been able to get speeds close to 1G on a wireless connection?  1G used to be the best you can get, but as we rapidly move towards 10G connections, I am wondering whether those speeds will just be illusions unless on a wired connection.  By the way, the reason I am switching to fiber is to escape from the horrendous asymmetric download and upload speeds.  For online teaching, upload is just as important as download.  I'd appreciate hearing other people's experiences with wireless connection speeds.  I do know most of my students are using wireless connections and they often seem to have more issues than I do.

Puget

I just switched from cable to Verizon FIOS myself (got a much better deal). Just ran a speed test and I'm getting 700 mbps download. So not 1 GB, but quite fast, and way faster than what you are getting. This is with the router provided by Verizon (free with the plan I signed up for). I have certainly not had any issues with zoom or other working from home on it. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hibush

It could be something as simple as the cable between your computer and the wifi router. Some good-looking cables have trouble keeping up with those speeds.

dlehman

I can update now.  I had 1GB fiber service installed and am using the wifi 7 mesh system that Quantum provides with the service - wireless from the point of entry to my house to one of their pods, but then an ethernet cable to my desktop.  1.3G both downstream and upstream!  This is the first wireless system (at least for one of the hops) that has delivered.  I'm happy for now.

Mobius

I get 700-800 down/up using Wi-Fi on my fiber connection. Spend money on a decent router.

Why won't your current router work with the fiber provider?