News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

exams for students with disabilities

Started by centurion, September 12, 2024, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centurion

In our classes at my university quite a few students have learning disabilities, so they take exams at the testing center with extended time, no distraction environment, etc.

Here are the options:

1) They start the exam when the others start it, so their classmates cannot communicate with them what was on the exam. Since they get extended time, their exam cuts into their next class, so they miss part of the next class.

2) They take it anytime they want in the next 24 hrs, which is permitted by the testing center, and the instructor arranges things so those students get a different exam.

3) They take it anytime they want in the next 24 hrs, but the instructor just gives them the exact same exam that was given to the other students. In that case their friends who took then exam at the regular time can tell them what was on the exam, so they may get an unfair advantage.

I am trying to follow 1), but it is a lot of arguing. I asked my colleagues, pretty much everyone does 3). Given that we have a lot of students who take the exams at the testing center, I think this is becoming a problem.

I wonder, how do others deal with this ?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you

Ruralguy

I usually try (1) unless they have a class the next period, then I make them re-schedule. As far as beating cheaters and such, I try not to be obsessed with that because it can eat up all of your time. i would just say that within the limits you have, try to change the exam a bit, or at least enough to make it clear to someone who saw or heard about the exam that this is somewhat different. If you can't, don't sweat it too much. Just comply in a reasonable way and move on. Any of the options you mention is fine, although, yes, they each come with their issues.

the_geneticist

You could also let the student start the exam early & have it finish that same day and time as their classmates.  This assumes they do not have a class right before yours.  And have them take it at the testing center.

I figure most students are honest & don't stress about trying to stop any and all cheaters.  I also give at least 2 (if not 3) different versions* of the exam.  Print them all on the same color paper.  Some folks try nonsense like printing version A on yellow & version B on blue.  Makes it easier, not harder to cheat since you know not to look at the other color exam.

And don't make a student miss out on another class because there is an exam in your class.  You'd hate it if a colleague made your student late/absent due to an exam and it's not fair to the student either.

*Easiest way to do this is just to shuffle the answer choices on about 1/2 the questions and put in some isomorphic questions (swap out numbers, ask to identify what will increase least/most, most hydrophilic/hydrophobic, etc.)

Having students take exams in-person is the #1 way to cut down on dishonesty.  That said, I'll let a student who is out sick take an exam online.

kaysixteen

#2 does sound like the obvious solution-- what would be the opposition to it?

Liquidambar

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 12, 2024, 04:50:00 PM#2 does sound like the obvious solution-- what would be the opposition to it?

Takes more of my time!

I do #3, except I require students to take the exam the same day.  Most of them actually schedule it during our class time, so I know those students aren't cheating.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Puget

Students start with the class and continue after if they don't have another class after. If they do, they start early instead. If they have classes both before and after, I try to have them take it sometime else the same day and don't fret too much about the possibility of cheating.

Since all exams are proctored and on paper with all devices required to be kept in their bags, the only way for them to communicate questions would be to memorize them, and that just doesn't seem very likely, at least not for many questions-- the type of questions are hardly a secret anyway, since I provide a study guide.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

RatGuy

Honestly, doing 3 is fine. I think the chance that my students cheat by sharing answers is small, but even if they do my exam isn't the sort of thing that can be aced easily even knowing questions in advance.

I'll also add that, at least at my place, many students are against such cheating. Students create a GroupMe across all sections of my classes, but there seems to be little-to-no evidence that students in the 8am class are sharing info with the noon class. Instead, if the noon class asks "is there a pop quiz today" the 8am students won't answer.

kaysixteen

Sure, 3 will work, and save the test-giving prof work, but it is deeply *potentially* disrespectful to the students and the prof's colleagues, if said student actually has a class before or after test-giver's class.  There ain't no way round that problem.

mythbuster

I had to deal with something similar last year. I was teaching an evening class (7pm), and the testing center closed at 5pm! In that case, I worked with the student to come up with a time on the same day when she could take the exam. I also made her sign a statement on each exam that she would not communicate with other students about the exam. I would appropriate verbiage about student conduct and integrity in our student handbook. No issues that I could detect.

bio-nonymous

This is where teaching the first class of the day helps. I have the students start the exam before the rest, so they finish at the same time. In another course, my class is the only one they have on Fridays, so they start at the same time and then finish later. At least my teaching schedule has at least this one bonus to make life easier--Not that I was happy with being the new prof who got stuck with the 8am slots all those years ago...

centurion

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 12, 2024, 04:50:00 PM#2 does sound like the obvious solution-- what would be the opposition to it?

Well, lack of time.

centurion

Ps. in a section of 100 students, usually about 10 have a learning disability. So creating a separate exam for each one would be difficult.

Ruralguy

Then just go with the easiest thing you listed and call it a day. Really, they were all reasonable.

the_geneticist

Pick whatever makes your life less complicated and call it good enough & done.  Use that testing center!  Don't worry about making an entirely different exam for each of them.  Just make 1 additional version.

If the testing center can do the proctoring for you, then anyone who wants to use the additional time must schedule at the testing center.  If they choose to take it during class, then they are choosing to not get the additional time.

artalot

Like others, I say go for what works best for you. I've found that most students don't have good enough memories to share test questions with others.