News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: bio-nonymous on August 22, 2024, 11:32:13 AMA falcon landed on my back fence--it was pretty awesome. It turned its head around 180 degrees in both directions looking around, then chilled for awhile before flying off into the woods. I hope it wasn't looking for the Cardinal pair that I feed...

VERY cool!!!

apl68

Yes it is!  Congratulations on a rare sight!
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Langue_doc

Spotted lantern flies are everywhere--one on the doorstep just a few minutes ago, another one on my windshield last week, and yet another one on a rock on the beach a couple of weeks ago. This is the third year in a row of the invasion--we're supposed to kill them on sight.

hmaria1609

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 25, 2024, 07:27:19 AMSpotted lantern flies are everywhere--one on the doorstep just a few minutes ago, another one on my windshield last week, and yet another one on a rock on the beach a couple of weeks ago. This is the third year in a row of the invasion--we're supposed to kill them on sight.
I remember these being a stink for the DC area 2 years ago.

sinenomine

I encountered two signs of early autumn on my drive this morning: one school bus and one bear.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

bio-nonymous

Quote from: sinenomine on August 28, 2024, 05:38:41 AMI encountered two signs of early autumn on my drive this morning: one school bus and one bear.
That is awesome! I have yet to see a bear around--I know they are out there, but they are very private...

Sea_Ice

Red letter day yesterday - saw the first Green Treefrog in I don't remember how many years!  It was only about half size, so there are at least a few more in the area :)))

Parasaurolophus

Two seals and a humpback on my ride home today! I was the first to spot the humpback--justlooked up from writing, and there she blew!
I know it's a genus.

clean

I had to go to the office today (Saturday) to help finalize some edits on a paper as the deadline has found us!
We were in my coauthor's office.  There is a pigeon next just out of normal view. 
We were working and I saw a shadow across the window and then we heard a lot of noise on the ledge.  the ledge has some metal covering and we looked up to find a Mexican Eagle

(https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwKkkzLTRg9OJLTixKBGGF1MT0nFQAb54Ilg&q=caracara+eagle&oq=cara&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqDAgBEC4YJxiABBiKBTIPCAAQIxgnGOMCGIAEGIoFMgwIARAuGCcYgAQYigUyDwgCEC4YQxjUAhiABBiKBTIMCAMQRRg5GLEDGIAEMg8IBBAuGEMY1AIYgAQYigUyDwgFEC4YQxixAxiABBiKBTIPCAYQLhhDGNQCGIAEGIoFMgYIBxBFGDzSAQg0OTY3ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Walking toward the next.  My coauthor was excited and grabbed his camera and tried to get a video of whatever happened next, but the movement toward the window startled the Big Bird and he flew off.   

My friend then said, "Well, I guess that means there will be one happy pigeon family tonight".  I retorted, "But the Eagle Family will be pretty disappointed!" 

We have Mexican Eagles in our area (we are in their range) but I have never seen one near campus, much less only separated by a few feet and a pane of glass! 

Quite a day, especially for my coauthor who is new to the area and had never seen this kind of bird before, much less so close up! 

(And I was rooting for the Eagle, in case it wasnt clear in the story). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

I must be spending too much time on campus!  Today I was having lunch at the cafeteria with the same coworker as Sunday and I saw a skunk with at least 2 kits walking by! 
(We have had some 'incidents' of people surprising the skunks and being extra surprised in turn!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

I visited my brother out of state in recent days and found him dealing with varmints on his small acreage that he raises a few livestock on.  He has trapped and relocated two possums.  And permanently dealt with an armadillo that was destroying the yard.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.