News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Clear and hot now.  After several days of rainy, overcast, unseasonably cool weather, we're now slammed into full-fledged summer heat.  It's a harsh contrast.  This year has had the fewest days of truly pleasant weather of any I can recall.

Yesterday at the Rotary Club meeting we heard a report from the county extension agent on the region's agriculture.  It was pretty much nothing but bad news.  Farmers have been taking a beating over the past couple of years.  Vast solar farms are taking more and more agricultural land out of production.  The pine forests which are the mainstay of the region's economy are now threatened by a destructive blight. 

The closest we had to good news was an assurance that, if large patches of blighted trees should catch fire during a coming drought, the fires probably wouldn't have a chance to become so big as to threaten whole towns, like happens out west.  We stand comforted.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

aside

Getting very hot here, but at least the severe weather has calmed down.

lightning

early summer evenings here are amazing--perfect weather

hmaria1609

The National Weather Service (NWS) confirmed 7 tornadoes that touched down in the DC region on Wednesday night. It will be awhile before clean up is complete.

apl68

We had a thundershower yesterday evening.  Its passing made for a spectacular sunset sky.  Much of the afternoon, before the clouds fully rolled in, was also quite beautiful as well.

It rained a little more this morning.  We needed some rain.  It's just too bad that it spikes the humidity so badly.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

sinenomine

Bracing for the heat where I am, after a lovely weekend. The heat would be more bearable if the powers that be at my school would deign to repair the broken AC that should be cooling one of the zones in my office building, but instead is shut down as they shop for estimates.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

hmaria1609

Hot outside! It'll be hot all this week here in the DC area:
https://wtop.com/weather/2024/06/dc-area-temperatures-are-getting-higher-heres-what-you-can-expect-from-the-heatwave/
There's an Extended Heat Emergency plan for DC.