News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Heat advisory for the entire metro DC region. Meanwhile, the District has a heat emergency until tomorrow.

Langue_doc

Heat advisory has been extended to 7 PM tomorrow.

apl68

Extended forecast indicates that we can expect no relief from the extreme heat for at least the next week.  It looks like August will actually be hotter than July here.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: apl68 on August 02, 2024, 07:18:57 AMExtended forecast indicates that we can expect no relief from the extreme heat for at least the next week.  It looks like August will actually be hotter than July here.

Same. The heat index was 107 yesterday, but it's only 100 now, so I guess that's something.

hmaria1609

Tropical Storm Debby is dumping rain here in the metro Baltimore/DC area. It started last night. Scroll past ad breaks to read full article.

Stay safe and dry!

apl68

Oh, we're dry here!  Not one drop of rain in weeks now, and none for a week or more out in the forecast.  We're getting a couple of days of relatively mild weather for the weekend.  Would be a good time to get the yard mowed, but I'm already committed to be out of town this weekend.  Next weekend it's predicted to be brutal.  At least I can enjoy good traveling weather this weekend.

I've been monitoring the situation with Debby, especially since we've got family in South Carolina.  They're okay where they are, but a lot of others are sure struggling.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

apl68

Sorry you're having to deal with that, para.  Has the smoke been very bad so far in your area this season?

Juvenal

Humid, warm gusty wind.  Possibly the last of "Debbie."
Cranky septuagenarian

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: apl68 on August 09, 2024, 10:29:54 AMSorry you're having to deal with that, para.  Has the smoke been very bad so far in your area this season?

Not at all, which is amazing. So far this wave has not been bad at all, either.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

Tropical storm Debby has moved out of the metro Baltimore/DC region, leaving a lot of down trees and flooding.
We had rain until mid-afternoon with a few breaks in between here.

hmaria1609

Forgot to add: we're supposed to have less humidity over the weekend.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on August 09, 2024, 07:49:04 PMTropical storm Debby has moved out of the metro Baltimore/DC region, leaving a lot of down trees and flooding.
We had rain until mid-afternoon with a few breaks in between here.

That storm has been one "gift" that keeps on giving!  I wonder how many people ended up being flooded?

Here we've had a couple of relatively mild days, with at least a solid week of 100-degree weather projected to come.  And no rain at all.  It looks like it would like to try at the moment.

apl68

A full week of severe temperatures broke yesterday evening with a series of violent thunderstorms.  Temperatures dropped very rapidly from 103 to 72.  The initial storm broke just as I was driving home from an evening Bible study at some friends' house some miles out of town.  Made for a pretty hairy drive home!

Not many puddles this morning, as the ground was dry enough to absorb everything.  There were a number of trees down across the trail at the city park.  No power outages that I'm aware of, and I haven't heard of any serious damage locally.  We do have a lot of debris down on the library's grounds that we'll have to see about getting taken care of.  Elsewhere in the state there are extensive outages.  It looks like we came through pretty well.

hmaria1609

Cooler temperatures at night. A bit of fall weather.