News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dog to English Translator

Started by archaeo42, May 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Rover has turned out to be part of a pack that occasionally wanders the neighborhood in the mornings.  At least once a week most weeks they meet me during my morning walk and follow me toward home.  They don't always go all the way with me.  There are usually four of them, though not always the same four.

It beats me where they're coming from.  They're too well-fed and cheerful to be strays.  I guess somebody--maybe a couple of neighboring households--has dogs that they aren't always diligent about keeping secure.

They don't bother me.  I've not seen evidence of their getting into people's trash or other mischief.  The worst I've seen them do is get into brief arguments with dogs in the back yards that they pass.  I do worry that they're going to get themselves run over in the street.  Some don't seem to be too street-smart.  I also worry that people are going to see them with me and draw the wrong conclusions.

They seem so happy roaming around like that.  It's what dogs naturally love to do.  But it's not appropriate that their owners allow them to do so in town, unaccompanied.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

apl68

Spoke with my brother yesterday on the phone.  They have added a Great Pyrenees sheepdog to their eclectic collection of livestock.  He's a huge dog and still growing.  Sounds like a lot of fun to be around.

Also found out from him that if your dog needs something to chew on you can try these:

https://www.valuepetsupplies.com/collections/pizzle-chews

Which I guess goes to show that the livestock rendering industry can find ways to market absolutely anything....

poiuy

PoiuyPooch1, a venerable old lady of 17 summers, gave us the fright of our lives today. After a usual uneventful morning, she fell down a few stairs (maybe 5 ish) and had a huge seizure, jerking, screaming, frothing. She is normally very silent and stoic and otherwise quite healthy for her age. The vet suggested that the seizure may have caused her fall.
We rushed her to the vet where she seized again. They stabilized her with anti seizure meds and she is doing well now, and will likely come home tomorrow.
She has recovered fairly well, though given her age, larger and longer term issues are taking over our thoughts today.
Dog MRI's cost around $10,000 in this place, we are not doing this because information gained from that will likely not change the course of treatment.  Of course, if she has additional episodes then we will have to consider what to do next.

AmLitHist

So sorry to hear this, Pouiy! Good thoughts and wishes from here.

(FWIW, the first border collie we had when I was a kid had seizures. Very scary! The vet put him on one pill a day and he was fine. And I agree about foregoing the $$$ testing; our doxie Fritz had liver cancer, and the expensive testing and surgery wouldn't have made a difference except to make him uncomfortable.)

I'm very sorry you're dealing with this, but hugs from us and snuggles from our pup Rigby. Thinking of you.

poiuy

Thank you for the good wishes, and sharing your experiences, @AmLitHist. PoiuyPooch1 is home, and is a bit slow and shaky, though appetite unimpaired.
This may be the new normal.

secundem_artem

Mrs Artem and I need to have a serious discussion.  If we ever get divorced, which one of us will be required to take the damn dog!  Artem pup is a 1 dog wrecking crew.  Anything that can fit in that little mouth will get destroyed.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Sea_Ice

Sending good thoughts to PoiuyPooch!

Is Artem-pup constantly destructive, or only at times?  Asking b/c I've had dogs with severe separation anxiety who would chew anything and everything until I got back - then serene calm returned.

My dog-related adventure: I washed all of the dog toys, with the intent of donating those that are of no interest to Pup.  Getting all of the water out of the squeakers seems impossible!!  Setting them upright so it collects at the air-intake, then squeezing to spray it out helps, but it's a slow process - and noisy!  Something else for the neighbors to wonder about, I suppose...

apl68

This morning at the city park I saw a woman in the distance stopping on one side of a metal bridge crossing one of the park pond's inlets.  She picked up something I couldn't see, crossed the bridge, and then set down what she was carrying.  I then saw that it was a tiny dog.  The roadway of the footbridge is made of metal grating.  The slots in the grating must have made the bridge look like a giant cattle guard to the little fellow.  Can't blame him for not wanting to take a chance on walking across!