Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

It's presentations week.  The TAs are responsible for watching, scoring & giving feedback.

One my TAs emailed to say he had missed our meeting last week and wanted to come by to chat (note: we did not have a meeting last week.  I just asked for an email check-in). 
Whatever, TA wants to chat, I'm happy to chat.

He then asked "is there a rubric?"
Yes.
There. Is. A. Rubric.

The rubric has been posted on the class website since Day 1.  It is printed in the lab manual.  Part of the first week of lab was having students read through the rubric & answer questions about it to get them thinking about their presentation on day 1 of the class.

I know I can't bang his head on the table, but can I at least smack him with the rubric?

fishbrains

Maybe bounce a Rubik's Cube off his head and see if he knows the difference between the two.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

FishProf

I want a Rubric's cube!

If they can solve it, they can calculate their own grade!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mythbuster

OOH! Rubrics cube- I'm envisioning squares with random scoring categories and other with point values. Scramble it up and see what you get. Might be better than the old toss the papers down the stairs method of grading.

Langue_doc

Wait till he expects you to write him a glowing LOR and then you can bang his head on the table or wherever.

the_geneticist

He is also "sad he didn't get to really teach" this quarter.
??
When pressed, he said he was disappointed that the students came to lab prepared & didn't need him to lecture.

IT'S A LAB CLASS.

Now I want the Rubric's Cube to also smack him with!

Sea_Ice

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 06, 2024, 09:43:33 AMHe is also "sad he didn't get to really teach" this quarter.
??
When pressed, he said he was disappointed that the students came to lab prepared & didn't need him to lecture.

IT'S A LAB CLASS.

Change his teaching assignment for next semester to a class that normally has unmotivated students.  Maybe that's where he will really do best - and someone else (maybe someone who needs a morale boost?) can have the prepared and motivated ones.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Sea_Ice on June 11, 2024, 08:12:46 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on June 06, 2024, 09:43:33 AMHe is also "sad he didn't get to really teach" this quarter.
??

IT'S A LAB CLASS.

Change his teaching assignment for next semester to a class that normally has unmotivated students.  Maybe that's where he will really do best - and someone else (maybe someone who needs a morale boost?) can have the prepared and motivated ones.
He wants to do a non-majors discussion.
I think it will be rather eye-opening.

What he really wants is a group of seemingly unprepared, but attentive and grateful students

Chemystery

QuoteHe wants to do a non-majors discussion.

Is that likely to happen?  I know my graduate institution did not move anyone to being a discussion TA if they weren't doing a decent job as a lab TA. 

QuoteWhat he really wants is a group of seemingly unprepared, but attentive and grateful students

Me too.  Not the unprepared part, but I'd happily take attentive and grateful.  Can I make a wish list?  I could have some amazing discussions if I could have prepared, attentive and grateful.

Sea_Ice

Quote from: the_geneticist on June 18, 2024, 10:00:51 AM
Quote from: Sea_Ice on June 11, 2024, 08:12:46 AM
??

IT'S A LAB CLASS.

He wants to do a non-majors discussion.

What he really wants is a group of seemingly unprepared, but attentive and grateful students

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah!!!  Ah, youthful vigor and excellent intentions, multiplied by ignorance and idealism... 

mythbuster

Oh Boy! It would be VERY eye opening for this TA to have to deal with non-majors. Especially in science. That's a whole different ball game- one that I happily avoid as much as possible.

fosca

Someone has watched too many "Dead Poets Society"-type movies, I suspect.

apl68

From what I've seen here, even outside of lab courses there's no longer much opportunity to be a "sage on the stage" in most academic settings.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

the_geneticist

Quote from: apl68 on Today at 07:42:53 AMFrom what I've seen here, even outside of lab courses there's no longer much opportunity to be a "sage on the stage" in most academic settings.

The "Sage on the Stage" is exactly his wish!

I've recommended him for a non-majors discussion course that is sometimes difficult to find TAs for.  He's confident enough that I don't think the experience will crush his spirit, but I think it will knock him for a bit of a loop. . .

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.