News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 24, 2024, 01:16:41 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on July 24, 2024, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: apl68 on July 24, 2024, 10:18:36 AMWhat data did they use?  Was it from something else studied in the course, or did they make stuff up?

Given that they all gave different wrong information, looks like they just made it up.

Wow! Did they flip the axes, or just do something totally off the wall?

Axes were fine.  They just drew some random bars & put numbers on the Y-axis that weren't even close to accurate.

marshwiggle

Quote from: the_geneticist on July 25, 2024, 09:20:04 AM
Quote from: apl68 on July 24, 2024, 10:18:36 AMWhat data did they use?  Was it from something else studied in the course, or did they make stuff up?

Given that they all gave different wrong information, looks like they just made it up.

Axes were fine.  They just drew
some random bars & put numbers on the Y-axis that weren't even close to accurate.

Reminds me of this.
It takes so little to be above average.

Sea_Ice

Quote from: the_geneticist on July 25, 2024, 09:20:04 AM

Axes were fine.  They just drew some random bars & put numbers on the Y-axis that weren't even close to accurate.

[whine ON] But... all you SAID was to draw a graph!  I drew a graph.  You NEVER said that we had to use YOUR numbers!!  If you can't write clear and understandable questions, you can't expect a specific answer - it's not FAIR! [whine OFF]

I feel your pain!  Would an elaborate coffee help?  Perhaps an adult beverage?

the_geneticist

I planned for that particular "loophole"!
The instructions say to draw a graph of the data in table [X] page [N]

But, I imagine I'll get whining anyway. "But the instructions say we get 2 points for drawing the average data as a bar graph.  I drew 2 bars on the graph!  You owe me more points!"

the_geneticist

It's been a few weeks, I think I'm allowed another post.

I created a printed "cut, arrange, & explain" activity for how to make [square baskets] as an overview to using online tools to make [square baskets].
Since it was new & not sure it would be helpful (too easy? more stuff = more confusing?), I put a question on their assignment asking for feedback. 

The TAs reported that *almost* all students thought it was helpful.  The ones who said it was not helpful were students who didn't try it.  As in, didn't even bother to cut out the pictures & try arranging them.

Chemystery

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 13, 2024, 11:39:16 AMIt's been a few weeks, I think I'm allowed another post.

I created a printed "cut, arrange, & explain" activity for how to make [square baskets] as an overview to using online tools to make [square baskets].
Since it was new & not sure it would be helpful (too easy? more stuff = more confusing?), I put a question on their assignment asking for feedback. 

The TAs reported that *almost* all students thought it was helpful.  The ones who said it was not helpful were students who didn't try it.  As in, didn't even bother to cut out the pictures & try arranging them.

One of my "favorite" bits from student evaluations last semester was a comment that identified the practice worksheets I made as the least helpful part of the class.  The student then went on to say that they had not done any of said worksheets.

apl68

Well, of course the student didn't do the worksheets.  They weren't helpful!
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

the_geneticist

Stu said "I see your sneaky plan to make me do work!  No way I'm falling for that."

mythbuster

They actually said that in the eval!? Wow. I would frame that and post it on my door.

darkstarrynight

Students were required to submit internship sites and supervisor contact by May 10. My department head got an email today from a student asking what the requirements are, and 10 minutes later the student wrote me "I decided to work with ______ and please give me permission to enroll." I wrote ______ to ask if that is really the case, since that supervisor is already supervising another student who was also late and took care of this a week ago (and yes, these are graduate students). Sigh.

Parasaurolophus

When we meet over Zoom to discuss "your" essay and I ask you questions...

Make sure I can't hear the friend feeding you (the wrong) answers.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 18, 2024, 03:47:57 PMStudents were required to submit internship sites and supervisor contact by May 10. My department head got an email today from a student asking what the requirements are, and 10 minutes later the student wrote me "I decided to work with ______ and please give me permission to enroll." I wrote ______ to ask if that is really the case, since that supervisor is already supervising another student who was also late and took care of this a week ago (and yes, these are graduate students). Sigh.

Update: the supervisor received an email from the student after they told me they had an internship to ask if they can work with that person! What a sneaky student. The supervisor declined, so the student miraculously found a different internship today, emailed me after 5 PM about it, and demanded to be given permission to enroll before I confirmed anything. Sigh.

AmLitHist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 19, 2024, 12:09:16 PMWhen we meet over Zoom to discuss "your" essay and I ask you questions...

Make sure I can't hear the friend feeding you (the wrong) answers.

Parasaurolophus wins the fora for today!

the_geneticist

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 19, 2024, 08:30:14 PM
Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 18, 2024, 03:47:57 PMStudents were required to submit internship sites and supervisor contact by May 10. My department head got an email today from a student asking what the requirements are, and 10 minutes later the student wrote me "I decided to work with ______ and please give me permission to enroll." I wrote ______ to ask if that is really the case, since that supervisor is already supervising another student who was also late and took care of this a week ago (and yes, these are graduate students). Sigh.

Update: the supervisor received an email from the student after they told me they had an internship to ask if they can work with that person! What a sneaky student. The supervisor declined, so the student miraculously found a different internship today, emailed me after 5 PM about it, and demanded to be given permission to enroll before I confirmed anything. Sigh.

Sounds like last minute, sneaky stu will just have to wait until the next quarter/year/whatever to get an internship. 

Sea_Ice

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 19, 2024, 08:30:14 PM

Wow, just Wow!!

Is this a student that you see F2F??  Used to be that the response to such shenanigans began with a verbal warning about unprofessional behavior - and the guaranteed negative effects it would have on LoRs if not corrected.

Of course, since this is already at the internship level, that time may have passed.

And, now there's been a (probable) second attempt to sneak into the appearance of -- what? compliance? progress? ...? combined with a DEMAND that you allow it??!!? 

I wouldn't cut the brat any slack.