News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea_Ice

There have been so many examples of the decline in reading & verbal comprehension amongst the younger set that I hate to add another.  This also doesn't quite belong here, since it wasn't in a teaching setting - but it does relate.

Scenario:  I was looking for a specific condiment in an ethnic grocery store (b/c it would not be considered exotic there, so I expected a choice of brands) and the shelves in the relevant section were empty, except for an extremely expensive brand.  So I left without buying anything.

However, as the checker wasn't busy, I mentioned - 1) what I'd wanted; 2 - stated that they had no stock on the shelves; 3 - asked when they expected new stock to arrive.  Seems straight forward, right?  Checker and the two other employees in the area quickly attempted to help - by doing things like:  asking exactly what I'd wanted (I just told you...); going to check the shelves (I said they were empty...); looking the (generic) item up on their phones (after I told you exactly what I needed???); asking exactly which brand I'd expected to find, etc.  It took a couple repetitions of "when do you expect to have new stock arrive / have the shelves restocked" before they told me that restocking usually happened on (X & Y days) - days that happened to be the previous and current days.  I smiled and promised to check back in a few days...

<Bang!!>

ciao_yall

Quote from: Sea_Ice on September 02, 2024, 01:26:14 PMThere have been so many examples of the decline in reading & verbal comprehension amongst the younger set that I hate to add another.  This also doesn't quite belong here, since it wasn't in a teaching setting - but it does relate.

Scenario:  I was looking for a specific condiment in an ethnic grocery store (b/c it would not be considered exotic there, so I expected a choice of brands) and the shelves in the relevant section were empty, except for an extremely expensive brand.  So I left without buying anything.

However, as the checker wasn't busy, I mentioned - 1) what I'd wanted; 2 - stated that they had no stock on the shelves; 3 - asked when they expected new stock to arrive.  Seems straight forward, right?  Checker and the two other employees in the area quickly attempted to help - by doing things like:  asking exactly what I'd wanted (I just told you...); going to check the shelves (I said they were empty...); looking the (generic) item up on their phones (after I told you exactly what I needed???); asking exactly which brand I'd expected to find, etc.  It took a couple repetitions of "when do you expect to have new stock arrive / have the shelves restocked" before they told me that restocking usually happened on (X & Y days) - days that happened to be the previous and current days.  I smiled and promised to check back in a few days...

<Bang!!>

Sounds like they tried to be helpful but didn't have access to the magic ordering system for the store.

Sea_Ice

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 03, 2024, 06:30:21 AM
Quote from: Sea_Ice on September 02, 2024, 01:26:14 PMThere have been so many examples of the decline in reading & verbal comprehension amongst the younger set that I hate to add another.  This also doesn't quite belong here, since it wasn't in a teaching setting - but it does relate.

<Bang!!>

Sounds like they tried to be helpful but didn't have access to the magic ordering system for the store.

Yes, and yes.  But, I got the unmistakable impression that they only heard the informational part, not the question.  Once I got them to stop running in circles and focus on my question they immediately had a useful answer.

This seeming inability to deal with more than 1 or 2 bits of information / tendency to focus on only the first part of a prompt / inability to comprehend a clause or any complexity in a statement / etc. are all becoming increasingly common.

apl68

Quote from: Sea_Ice on September 03, 2024, 09:00:42 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on September 03, 2024, 06:30:21 AM

<Bang!!>

Yes, and yes.  But, I got the unmistakable impression that they only heard the informational part, not the question.  Once I got them to stop running in circles and focus on my question they immediately had a useful answer.

This seeming inability to deal with more than 1 or 2 bits of information / tendency to focus on only the first part of a prompt / inability to comprehend a clause or any complexity in a statement / etc. are all becoming increasingly common.

I think I understand what you're getting at here.  It's as though growing up in a world where everything--school, work, entertainment, and even social interaction--has to be mediated through computers is creating people who can only think in an exceedingly linear, flowchart manner that gets easily derailed.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

the_geneticist

Quote from: fishbrains on September 01, 2024, 09:11:53 AMYeah, a while back (before Covid) they started doing the late-add thing by putting these students into our internet courses because they thought it would be easier for students to catch up in an internet class--even if they had never taken an online class before. I $hit you not.

It took a somewhat ugly meeting between the Senate and higher-ups to change the practice. T seeo the admins' credit, they did stop the practice.

Online classes are great IF:
stu has a new-ish computer & reliable internet
stu is self-motivated & organized

Online classes are a terrible idea for intro classes and doubly so for student who are already behind.
My department is pushing for more online classes, especially for summer quarter ($$$).
I will not put freshman labs online.  Yes, I am willing to die on this hill.

EdnaMode

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 03, 2024, 09:36:30 AM**snip**
I will not put freshman labs online.  Yes, I am willing to die on this hill.

I won't either and I'll be dying on that hill right beside you.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

the_geneticist

Summer grades are in!
How long until I get the first question/complaint/begging email?

Parasaurolophus

This is the first day of classes. I had one 101 class today.

One student showed up.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 03, 2024, 01:44:33 PMThis is the first day of classes. I had one 101 class today.

One student showed up.

So, pop quiz on Friday?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

waterboy

"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: FishProf on September 04, 2024, 05:00:27 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 03, 2024, 01:44:33 PMThis is the first day of classes. I had one 101 class today.

One student showed up.

So, pop quiz on Friday?

I sure am tempted!

Quote from: waterboy on September 04, 2024, 06:53:45 AMWill it be a 102 if two students show? 103 if 3?...

ROFL!
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

I had to help a freshpeep who couldn't find room 178.  Because there isn't a room 178 in the building.

She was confusing HI-178 with [Building]room 178.  I got here to the right room only 10 minutes late but I don't think she understood what happened.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

darkstarrynight

I wish this was not true, but as I am grading internship site plans for students in my graduate level internship course, a student copied another student's bizarre formatting and exact language for a completely different internship. That is so lazy, and now I get to deal with academic integrity issues at the beginning of the semester.

Chemystery

Today was the third day of classes.  We are still getting emails from various offices with statements they want us to put in the syllabus.

I would like to thank all the admins for helping students understand where the school stands on deadlines.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Chemystery on September 05, 2024, 03:57:23 PMToday was the third day of classes.  We are still getting emails from various offices with statements they want us to put in the syllabus.

I would like to thank all the admins for helping students understand where the school stands on deadlines.

Aren't you required to hand out/post online the syllabus on or before the first day of class?