News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

And, what happens to the prof who refuses to insert these bureaucrats' musings into their syllabi?

Chemystery

Quote from: Langue_doc on September 05, 2024, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: Chemystery on September 05, 2024, 03:57:23 PMToday was the third day of classes.  We are still getting emails from various offices with statements they want us to put in the syllabus.

I would like to thank all the admins for helping students understand where the school stands on deadlines.

Aren't you required to hand out/post online the syllabus on or before the first day of class?

Yup.  In answer to Kay's question about consequences: Probably very dire warnings.  If anyone ever notices.

dismalist

When I was still working, I'd get e-mails from admin to put such and such on my syllabi. I'd ignore them. Having studied the Fora since, I'd suggest putting links to all the garbage on the syllabi, you know, a section on administrative links, or some such. Then, the students could ignore it without effort. Might even get a 404 occasionally.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

So, after discussions here, and with my work colleagues, I made a change to my online course. 
Previously, everything was up on day 1, and due at the end of the semester.  Without fail, I'd have students not take the syllabus quiz until well after the drop deadline (when I would have to open it up for them), and try to do all the work in the last week. 
So I made the change to have things due each week.  So, at the end of week 1, the numbers look like this.
22 students enrolled (4 have already dropped).  14 have attempted the syllabus quiz, but only 10 have met the required 100%.
2 students have completed the 5 assignments that are due today.  3 others have done some of them.
Monday morning will be interesting when a bunch of students get a bunch of Zeros automatically applied.

And yes, I have given them enough time, and DAILY reminders.  As well as Blackboard raising alerts for due items.

These numbers pretty much track what happens every semester.  So far, the due dates do not seem to be having an effect.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mythbuster

So I a have student who was added into my course at the end of week 3! Apparently our financial aid office is putting holds on people left and right with the FAFSA debacle and then taking their sweet time resolving the issues.

It's a lecture and lab combined course. The student won't be allowed into the lab until they complete a one on one session with the lab instructor since they missed the week of training in aseptic technique.
  For the lecture, I determined that you can set up Canvas modules with access limited to just the students you select. So I set that up and dumped in the recorded lectures from COVID times of the topics she missed. Because I'm so student success oriented. LOL. It's more like providing the proverbial rope.
The first midterm is in a week, and there is a hands on lab exam a week after that. We will see if this student can sink or swim.

fishbrains

Quote from: mythbuster on September 08, 2024, 10:07:13 AMIt's more like providing the proverbial rope.

It would be interesting if our colleges tracked the success rates of late-adds to find the point where the students have a decent chance to succeed versus the point where we are simply committing fraud against them by taking their money.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

the_geneticist

Quote from: FishProf on September 08, 2024, 09:02:05 AMSo, after discussions here, and with my work colleagues, I made a change to my online course. 
Previously, everything was up on day 1, and due at the end of the semester.  Without fail, I'd have students not take the syllabus quiz until well after the drop deadline (when I would have to open it up for them), and try to do all the work in the last week. 
So I made the change to have things due each week.  So, at the end of week 1, the numbers look like this.
22 students enrolled (4 have already dropped).  14 have attempted the syllabus quiz, but only 10 have met the required 100%.
2 students have completed the 5 assignments that are due today.  3 others have done some of them.
Monday morning will be interesting when a bunch of students get a bunch of Zeros automatically applied.

And yes, I have given them enough time, and DAILY reminders.  As well as Blackboard raising alerts for due items.

These numbers pretty much track what happens every semester.  So far, the due dates do not seem to be having an effect.

It's a good way to scaffold, will help students that need this sort of structural guidance, and a good CYA for any student that claims they "had no idea" they were missing anything.

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on September 09, 2024, 10:31:45 AM
Quote from: FishProf on September 08, 2024, 09:02:05 AMSo, after discussions here, and with my work colleagues, I made a change to my online course. 

It's a good way to scaffold, will help students that need this sort of structural guidance, and a good CYA for any student that claims they "had no idea" they were missing anything.

Give it a little time -- I have strict weekly deadlines and students either quickly get with the program by week 2-3 or drop the course, either of which is a good outcome so far as I'm concerned. Much better than them *thinking* they can still pass until it is too late to drop.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

kaysixteen

This brings up an interesting point-- what exactly is being done wrt schools' trying to deal with/ ameliorate/ fix/ etc., students' difficulties associated with the royal FAFSA clusterf*ck-- penalizing a kid by not letting him into a class until three weeks into the semester does not sound like a good answer.

sinenomine

I gave my writing class a low-stakes homework assignment to get them engaged in the course topic; they get full credit for turning it in, regardless of how well they do, since it's meant to kick off a discussion from a common starting point. One student who didn't turn it in commented after I inputted the zero that he "couldn't come up with anything." Not a promising start to the semester...
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

MarathonRunner

Quote from: dismalist on September 07, 2024, 06:00:48 PMWhen I was still working, I'd get e-mails from admin to put such and such on my syllabi. I'd ignore them. Having studied the Fora since, I'd suggest putting links to all the garbage on the syllabi, you know, a section on administrative links, or some such. Then, the students could ignore it without effort. Might even get a 404 occasionally.

Our chair told us we had to have all the extra information on our syllabi, in addition to links, as students had started bringing lawyers with them to grade disputes, academic integrity hearings, etc. That's all at the end of my syllabi. The stuff most students care about (assessments, weekly schedule, required materials) are up front. Everything else is there only because it has to be, but I'm sure most students ignore it. But it covers our butts in some circumstances and may occasionally help a first gen student who doesn't know what resources are available, etc.

sinenomine

Quote from: MarathonRunner on September 12, 2024, 06:07:33 PM
Quote from: dismalist on September 07, 2024, 06:00:48 PMWhen I was still working, I'd get e-mails from admin to put such and such on my syllabi. I'd ignore them. Having studied the Fora since, I'd suggest putting links to all the garbage on the syllabi, you know, a section on administrative links, or some such. Then, the students could ignore it without effort. Might even get a 404 occasionally.
Our chair told us we had to have all the extra information on our syllabi, in addition to links, as students had started bringing lawyers with them to grade disputes, academic integrity hearings, etc. That's all at the end of my syllabi. The stuff most students care about (assessments, weekly schedule, required materials) are up front. Everything else is there only because it has to be, but I'm sure most students ignore it. But it covers our butts in some circumstances and may occasionally help a first gen student who doesn't know what resources are available, etc.

I proposed that boilerplate legalities that the powers that be say need to be on all syllabi be embedded in the LMS for all courses automatically. Now we no longer have to check that everyone's included them all, and all that verbiage no longer clutters up syllabi.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."