News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdnaMode

Quote from: darkstarrynight on October 16, 2024, 10:41:05 PMA graduate student submitted a comment instead of the assignment, earned a zero, then wrote me a nasty email saying hu wanted me to give them another chance to resubmit because they did not know a submission was required. This is the third class the student has taken with me, and I think at this point in a graduate program they should know assignments require actual work. I responded that they could have asked me questions any time since the semester began before this was due in the eighth week and open the entire time. The student responded defensively that they did not have confusion about the assignment and I am not giving them the credit they deserve for their effort (!?!?) Ok...

Situations like this are why I have in my syllabus that it is the sole responsibility of the student to upload the correct assignments to the correct place by the correct time. And I also tell them that having a screen grab of their upload from their phone, or inserting a comment is never a substitute for getting the work turned in. I got tired of all the "Canvas ate my assignments" excuses. But I currently only teach undergrads. I'd hope (hah!) that grad students could figure out how to submit assignments without any handholding or step by step instructions.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

darkstarrynight

The student knows how to submit assignments, but alas, "earned" a C and F in my previous two courses, so that might explain more.