News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

So many people absent today; it's November 19th

Started by Aster, November 19, 2019, 10:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aster

I have so many students absent from class today.

I've already corrected for students that have withdrawn from the course. I'm still missing like 1/8th of the class today. No notifications from them either. They're just missing.

This is not Thanksgiving Break. That's bloody *next* week, at the *end* of next week.

Where have all the students gone?

Wahoo Redux

Late semester blues.  I tell students there is a definite sag in energy at different parts of the semester.  This is, no doubt, one of those, although it is rather late (usually students are running for the light at the end of the tunnel at this point).
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Caracal

Quote from: Aster on November 19, 2019, 10:09:18 AM
I have so many students absent from class today.

I've already corrected for students that have withdrawn from the course. I'm still missing like 1/8th of the class today. No notifications from them either. They're just missing.

This is not Thanksgiving Break. That's bloody *next* week, at the *end* of next week.

Where have all the students gone?

Just 1/8th? I'm at about 3/4s. I get the feeling because I have it too right now, but this is always how a few students manage to go from getting low Bs to failing the class. They decide to skip a few classes before the break, they lose track of upcoming assignments and deadlines and then get so overwhelmed that they just give up and I never see them again.

Parasaurolophus

Me too. Three weeks to go, and I'm down to about 1/2 the class for every class and 1/3 for one.

Their already low grades will tank.
I know it's a genus.

Aster

I predict that attendance is going to be complete crap next week.

backatit

I only have two weeks to go in my semester, and I'm as done as they are. I'm keeping hope alive by setting up my online classes for next semester. I'm going to have time off this time!

aside

We have some illnesses being passed around here that have had a significant impact on attendance.  Or so they say.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: aside on November 19, 2019, 04:20:04 PM
We have some illnesses being passed around here that have had a significant impact on attendance.  Or so they say.

Yeah, I caught someone's flu.

Oh, and I was wrong: I have two more weeks.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Is this an argument for ditching the class twice or thrice per week for fourteen weeks semester schedule?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Bede the Vulnerable

I have to agree with the statement that 1/8 is no big deal.  If you've still got 7/8 attendance at this point in the semester, then you're the most inspirational professor who has ever lived.
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

lightning

Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on November 19, 2019, 09:46:22 PM
I have to agree with the statement that 1/8 is no big deal.  If you've still got 7/8 attendance at this point in the semester, then you're the most inspirational professor who has ever lived.

This

Thursday's_Child

Kron3007

Yeah, I was at about 1/2 on Monday.  I was actually thinking about starting a post to see how this compares to others, but it seems this is pretty typical, so thanks...

I think one of the main issues this time of year is that all the final assignments are coming due so students are prioritizing them over attendance, which is fair.  However, from my experience, as mentioned by others, the students who attend lecture regularly generally do much better (go figure).

Aster

Quote from: lightning on November 20, 2019, 04:36:30 AM
Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on November 19, 2019, 09:46:22 PM

This
Oh. I didn't mention that 1/3rd of the students have already dropped.

Aster

We're still a week out from Thanksgiving Break even starting, and attendance today was even lousier than two days ago.

One of my C students even came over to confirm with me the "the college is closed next week".

Me: "No, the college is open for most of next week. Our holiday schedule has not changed from what is posted on the syllabus and on the college's calendar."

And then today in the hallways, I noticed multiple classrooms with signs on them stating that the *professor* had cancelled class. The cancellation notices were way above normal, like 3x normal.

This is a domino effect of fail.