News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Positivity Thread

Started by adel9216, November 25, 2019, 02:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

I told my best friend that I love them, as I always do on a regular basis. I'm really privileged to have this person in my life. And I feel very lucky to be able to be friends with someone with whom I can say 'I love you' on a regular basis, and have them say them back to me, and it doesn't feel awkward or strange or "fake". 

Parasaurolophus

Finished all my tasks from before, and a lot more. And just got word of an invitation to a fancy invite-only workshop in a different subfield. And had a truly zany contribution to an edited collection (for a popular audience) accepted, so everything's feeling good right now!

Oh! And a friend of mine just got a job at a very prestigious R1! And another's very, very long search for a TT job has ended with a job at a great SLAC. So: feeling especially positive!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

On a note of joy (this may be well-known, but I just ran across it...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSlWDlXCelk

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

adel9216

Application submitted for a leadership fellowship. I'm quite confident about it.

I've got a (paid) op-ed that will be published in April in a very important magazine  And it's right on my doctoral research topic!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: adel9216 on March 28, 2020, 04:39:07 PM
Application submitted for a leadership fellowship. I'm quite confident about it.

I've got a (paid) op-ed that will be published in April in a very important magazine  And it's right on my doctoral research topic!

Wow, that's awesome! Keep it up!
I know it's a genus.

adel9216

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 28, 2020, 06:50:04 PM
Quote from: adel9216 on March 28, 2020, 04:39:07 PM

I've got a (paid) op-ed that will be published in April in a very important magazine  And it's right on my doctoral research topic!

Wow, that's awesome! Keep it up!

sinenomine

Happy Hug a Medievalist Day to all my colleagues!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

We're stuck in the house a lot now for obvious reasons.

So one thing we've been doing is replenishing the bird feeders in front of our big bay window daily.  We even ordered a couple of new bird-feeders (although one has already been savaged and literally stolen by marauding squirrels!---will need to get metal bird feeders now) and recommissioned the old wooden bird-feeder from the telephone pole in the back yard (that the power company goons so rudely ripped off) on a shepherd's crook.  We've ordered corn and peanuts too.  We are putting energy into the biomass, and that feels good.

The amount of life and energy zooming past the window of our front room (the single place where we spend most of our time now) is somehow extremely encouraging, a reminder that life will go on.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

adel9216

- I've advanced to the next stage of the fellowship I have applied to! Got the news today!
- I finished one assignment for this term. I've got one left!
- I managed to do a couple of hours of work on my research assistantship.
- I was able to figure a plan out for my last assignement and I'm happy to have written 500 words when I did not know where to begin at all. Now 6500 words left! Haha

mamselle

Good for you!

Mine: I only have 30 footnote-type lookups to clean up and this article is DONE!

M.

adel9216

Quote from: mamselle on April 07, 2020, 06:11:43 PM
Good for you!

Mine: I only have 30 footnote-type lookups to clean up and this article is DONE!

M.

Today:
1- I wrote another 500 words on my final paper! I am so happy because I literally did not know where to begin and I feel like I am producing something that will make sense in the end.
2- I got a perfect grade on my oral presentation and final paper for my other course!
3- The weather was beautiful today, and I got to take a walk while listening to music :)

adel9216

Did another media interview as an expert on my topic this morning. Seems like I am developing strong ties with some journalists, because the same ones keep contacting me anytime my research topic pops up in the news.

apl68

Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 08:36:39 AM
Did another media interview as an expert on my topic this morning. Seems like I am developing strong ties with some journalists, because the same ones keep contacting me anytime my research topic pops up in the news.

So you've become a recognized expert in the media?  Wow!  Congratulations!  Please remember always to use your powers only for good.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on April 28, 2020, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: adel9216 on April 28, 2020, 08:36:39 AM

So you've become a recognized expert in the media?  Wow!  Congratulations!  Please remember always to use your powers only for good.

i.e. DON"T TELL PEOPLE TO DRINK BLEACH!!!
(Like anyone would ever suggest such a thing...)
It takes so little to be above average.