News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Grading Assignments

Started by HigherEd7, December 04, 2019, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

Has anyone ever had to go back and grade some assignments? What did tell you tell your students?

Hegemony

What does this mean?  "Go back and grade some assignments"?  You mean you didn't grade them the first time around?  I'm not sure we have enough information to think about this.

HigherEd7

Regrading assignments to make sure you grade them fairly and students get the grade they deserve. With the student evaluations around the corner and PNT it kinda puts your back in the corner......................after grading some assignments I did not feel comfortbale with the grade.

fishbrains

No, not for a group of papers. If I thought I was off on the grading in general (I was tired, sick, stressed, human, etc.), I might do some extra credit with the final exam or something so I could sleep better at night. If you go backwards with the grading with the group, you are asking for serious trouble, especially if some students receive more 2nd-time-around points than others.

If a single student asks me to review their essay grade, we'll sit down and go over it together. Occasionally, they are right in their concerns, but not often. But regrading a set of papers: Just . . . no. 
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

HigherEd7

AvidReader

Quote from: HigherEd7 on December 04, 2019, 01:15:12 PM
Has anyone ever had to go back and grade some assignments? What did tell you tell your students?

Usually when I am grading a set of work, I re-grade the last few at the end to make sure I wasn't harsher (or gentler) as I got a grasp of what the students had been able to accomplish. If I am extremely tired for a night of grading, I'll also often do the same thing after I've graded a set with fresher eyes.

I have once or twice realized something I thought was really clear had not been clear to the students, who had performed poorly on that skill through no fault of their own. Usually I realize this if an ordinarily very attentive student comes to ask about something I've marked and exhibits extreme confusion. In those instances, I either bump all the grades very slightly, make a class announcement explaining that change, and re-teach the material, or I tell students that if they were marked down for X, they can bring their papers to me and I will give them a set number of points back.

AR.

KiUlv

Quote from: AvidReader on December 04, 2019, 05:33:19 PM
Quote from: HigherEd7 on December 04, 2019, 01:15:12 PM

Usually when I am grading a set of work, I re-grade the last few at the end to make sure I wasn't harsher (or gentler) as I got a grasp of what the students had been able to accomplish. If I am extremely tired for a night of grading, I'll also often do the same thing after I've graded a set with fresher eyes.

I have once or twice realized something I thought was really clear had not been clear to the students, who had performed poorly on that skill through no fault of their own.

This is similar to what I have done. I usually re-look at the first several I graded when I'm done to "recalibrate" myself and make sure I was consistent. I have also realized at times that what I was expecting was not exactly what I asked for in the assignment or on the rubric. So I don't mark off for those things and I try to be more clear in the next assignment description.

kiana

I go through the assignments at least twice.

The first time through, I mark all the errors, but I don't write down points unless it's totally wrong, totally right, or falls directly into the grading rubric categories (e.g. did a and b, but not c, hence 4/6 points). By that time, I have an idea whether one of my problems was just a bad problem where I feel I should be generous on partial credit or something.

The second time through, I actually write down the points for all of them. The ones that are the weirdest go to the bottom of the stack so that I can do them last.