News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

when fixing a grading error lowers a student's grade

Started by Trogdor, December 14, 2019, 05:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trogdor

well, the title basically says it all.

I accidentally entered an incorrect grade, giving the student a B- in the class.
Since students get auto-updates on grades, she found out immediately and was thrilled.
After uploading the grades from my spreadsheet the following morning, the error was corrected and her new grade (the correct grade) is now a C.
so for 1 day, she thought she was getting a B-, and today she noticed the change to her grade, and she is wondering what happened.

so...do I ruin this student's day or just allow her a higher grade than she actually earned, as an act of benevolence, since it was my fault?

Antiphon1

Since this was human error as part of entering grades, I would stand by change.  Would you allow another erroneous grade entry to stand if it wasn't the end of the semester?  You are allowed to correct mistakes.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  And send a heads up to your chair. 

"All grades are subject to review and revision until the final grade report is submitted.  Your previous grade average reflected an erroneous entry.  Please see me in my office if you'd like to discuss the grade change."

polly_mer

I agree with Antiphon1.  C is still passing.  Even if the student files a grade grievance, the evidence is she earned the C, not the B-.  One day of excitement does not erase a whole term of observed behavior.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Caracal

Agree with others. The key point here is that entering the wrong grade didn't change anything in the real world. If you had entered in a wrong grade two weeks ago, and the student had subsequently taken the final, I would say you shouldn't change it, since it is conceivable that the mistake could have effected how hard the student worked for the rest of the class.

larryc

Quote from: Trogdor on December 14, 2019, 05:05:40 PMjust allow her a higher grade than she actually earned, as an act of benevolence, since it was my fault?

Yes.

stemer

Take responsibility for the error. As it is not the end of the world for the student to get a C and pass the course, it is also not the end of the world for you to admit your mistake and let the grade stand.