News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Guidelines for writing field notes / class observations

Started by tuxedo_cat, December 18, 2019, 10:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuxedo_cat

Next semester students in two of my sections (first-year writing) will be doing some community based learning, including visiting some classrooms and doing some site observations at a food pantry.

Can anyone recommend a good article / instructional website for explaining to students how to do field notes?  This isn't for a more involved project or write-up -- mostly I'd just like to provide them with some cues and structure for composing guided reflections. 

I have a pretty good piece by Ash and Clayton (2004) that highlights the Description / Analysis / Application model, which is written more for instructors.  Just wondering if folks in other disciplines have guidelines they have found useful for students to read themselves.

ciao_yall

Quote from: tuxedo_cat on December 18, 2019, 10:28:08 PM
Next semester students in two of my sections (first-year writing) will be doing some community based learning, including visiting some classrooms and doing some site observations at a food pantry.

Can anyone recommend a good article / instructional website for explaining to students how to do field notes?  This isn't for a more involved project or write-up -- mostly I'd just like to provide them with some cues and structure for composing guided reflections. 

I have a pretty good piece by Ash and Clayton (2004) that highlights the Description / Analysis / Application model, which is written more for instructors.  Just wondering if folks in other disciplines have guidelines they have found useful for students to read themselves.

Not exactly field notes, but this was the framework I had students use - Kolb's experiential learning - when doing their weekly reflection papers.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html

Antiphon1

Here's a short article with a format embedded about half way through.  For first time researchers, the format plus the commentary might provide a framing mechanism.  You could also shape the format to your uses.  I think this version may be too broad for a beginner.  You really need to guide the process for novices. 

https://qualpage.com/2017/04/07/tips-for-observing-and-taking-field-notes-in-qualitative-studies/

tuxedo_cat

Thanks very much for both of these suggestions!  Very interesting to see how this kind of writing is done in different disciplines.