News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonsensical

Today was full of meetings, but I did manage to give comments on a few pages of a post-doc's paper today. Didn't even get through the whole intro, but at least it was something.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 26, 2021, 07:26:14 AM
Gonna start a new book section today, and power through the weekend to hit my month's quota.

I put in another 1000 words on a fresh section, despite the REB meeting earlier today and all my class-related crap. Phew!
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Goals

• Finalize and submit "second half of rejected manuscript" to target journal with co-authors
  • Finish transcription of interviews for project with subfield colleague
  • Begin writing and analysis with college friend - we already received data through our request from a major organization!
  • Return to recently rejected manuscript to make revisions from feedback and submit elsewhere - my co-authors and I finally have a plan in place and a new target journal.

As I near the last day of the month, I am pleased that last night I submitted my second revision for the manuscript with four co-authors as everyone took a look at it before yesterday afternoon. I am so relieved! Only my first goal was completed this month. My colleague's GA is working on cleaning up my initial transcripts for goal 2. On goal 3, we met this past week with our third co-author, and have a plan in place that we are starting this week. I have not heard from my collaborators on goal 4 in awhile, so I assume one of them is still working on revisions and will get them to me when ready.

I currently have four manuscripts under review; two are second revisions so these will hopefully be accepted soon. The other two are under first review. I am supposed to get feedback on a book chapter under review in the next week or two also. One of my goals this year was to stop taking on new projects, but I have not done so well at this yet.

Parasaurolophus

Gonna make a start on one last book section for the month, and I can use what time I have next month to clean them up a bit.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 26, 2021, 05:05:38 AM
Quote from: Faith786 on February 24, 2021, 08:33:39 AM
February goals:
-add a few sentences to Google Doc for team assignment
-finish reading article that was cited 500 times for 2021 project
-write some questions or research interests for analytical direction of 2021 project for team meeting
-summarize meeting with key informant and email project personnel for 2021 project
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-read article for 2021 project
-write reflection of article for 2021 project
-read book chapter 5 (completed Feb 20)
-read book chapter 7
-read book chapter 8
-send email with word document list re 2021 project
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2  (update: accepted/published!)
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #4 and get it down to <20-25 pages
-Write a page for item (book chapter#1) due Aug 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project (1 down, 3 to go)
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Update CV to reflect federal agency's journal review
-Update CV to reflect journal's editorial/topic board membership
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-peer review manuscript due Feb 24 (completed Feb 20)
-peer-review manuscript for federal agency due Feb 26
-peer review manuscript due Feb 28
-peer review another manuscript due Feb 28
-sign on as a reviewer for national conference before the end of the month (completed Feb 19)
-agree to peer review article due in 21 days for March 2021 (completed Feb 19)
-agree to peer review second article due in 21 days for March 2021 (completed Feb 19)
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2020)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted AGAIN for a different university in a different state, Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted once AGAIN Feb 2021)

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 28, 2021, 10:11:32 AM
Gonna make a start on one last book section for the month, and I can use what time I have next month to clean them up a bit.

The month's report:

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 01, 2021, 12:00:50 PM

February:

• Write blog post for Feb. 18.
  • Write 4+ new book sections.
  • Conference organization for April conference (ugh)
  • Conference organization for November conference (ugh)

Stretch:

• Start working on August Chapter.

Managed five book sections, actually. Not bad! They all still need polish, but it's conjuring them into existence that's the hardest part.

Only 37 more sections to go by January 2022. It seems just about possible, maybe.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight