News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Write my submission to a scam journal for me!

Started by traductio, May 20, 2020, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hungry_ghost

Coming late to the game, could I please suggest "frozen dairy confection" as a generic term for comestible commonly known as ice cream, sherbet, frozen yoghurt, etc?

(This thread reminds me of one on the old fora, ca. Jan or Feb 2013, when I received a solicitation to be included in a book of Outstanding Intellectuals--there surely would have been a fee--and I contemplated a submission in the name of Walter. Walter is my cat. Alas I cannot find that thread.)

apl68

Quote from: science.expat on June 10, 2020, 07:36:55 PM
I am in awe

It goes to show what you can do with crowd sourcing, if you can interest the right crowd.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

Thursday's_Child

I too am in awe!  This thread has much in common with many of the best threads from the old Fora.

One quibble, if I may.  The simulated data do not seem to reflect the effects of age differences among the surgical assistants.  While it is possible that a 5 y.o. could accomplish the task as effectively as a 9 y.o., it does not seem probable.  Perhaps a discussion of this would be worthwhile, to prevent the inevitable hyper-critical reviewer from recommending rejection of the paper.

Puget

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 11, 2020, 10:09:36 AM
I too am in awe!  This thread has much in common with many of the best threads from the old Fora.

One quibble, if I may.  The simulated data do not seem to reflect the effects of age differences among the surgical assistants.  While it is possible that a 5 y.o. could accomplish the task as effectively as a 9 y.o., it does not seem probable.  Perhaps a discussion of this would be worthwhile, to prevent the inevitable hyper-critical reviewer from recommending rejection of the paper.

Ah, but it was a within-subjects repeated measures design, so participant effects were controlled for. Also, 5 year olds are speedy when it comes to ice cream.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

traductio

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 11, 2020, 10:09:36 AM

There is no higher compliment you could pay me!

Quote from: apl68 on June 11, 2020, 08:00:06 AM
It goes to show what you can do with crowd sourcing, if you can interest the right crowd.

Indeed. In fact, we long ago reached the point where I don't have the skills to understand, much less evaluate, the claims being made (I'm in the humanities, and although I love math, I never took stats classes.)

Also, if you haven't voted yet about whether I should go forward in submitting the article, please do so soon! Here's the thread: http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1434.0.

(Spoiler alert: so far it's a unanimous yes.)

arcturus

I would like to congratulate all of the co-authors on the brilliant work done so far. And, most importantly, a "thank you" to traductio for providing the inspiring abstract for us to write to, as that laid the foundation for our work, and to Science.Expat for suggesting the crowd-sourced writing. This has been a bit of positivity (and fun!) in a time period of much negativity and turbulence.

mamselle

Please, also, do weigh in as to graph suggestions.

If not needed, no issue, but if I should figure out the last piece of the graph, or get some help doing it, that would be cool, too.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: arcturus on June 11, 2020, 01:16:58 PM
I would like to congratulate all of the co-authors on the brilliant work done so far. And, most importantly, a "thank you" to traductio for providing the inspiring abstract for us to write to, as that laid the foundation for our work, and to Science.Expat for suggesting the crowd-sourced writing. This has been a bit of positivity (and fun!) in a time period of much negativity and turbulence.

Amen. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Brilliant work, everyone!

OK, I've generated a better bibliography for us, and tried to fit the titles to whatever gibberish we say when we reference them. I'll try to put the further research section together tomorrow, and I'll have to remember to go back when we have a full text to make sure the details here fit there. Feel free to generate better entries if you prefer them; nobody ever said I had a very good imagination.

Bibliography

Karamazov A.F. (1880a), "лед лед детка," исследования ванильного льда, 7(2), pp. 12-19.

Karamazov A.F. (1880b), "лед лед лед детка детка толчок это очень хорошо," исследования ванильного льда, 7(4), pp. 111-123.

Baskin, B. & Robbins, I. (1945), "The Raskolnikov Scoop: synergistic effects of intersegmental approaches in brain modelling," Comportmental and Brain Sciences, 104(414), pp. 393-411.

Ben, C. & Jerry, G. (1981), "A Refreshing Delight Supreme: calibrating softer substrates," Simulation Studies, 57, pp. 515-35.

Cuclear, Z., Spēnuz, Y., and Kijiko, X. (2012), "The Surgical Implications of the Idiophonic Properties of Scooping Instruments," Journal of Medical Instrumentation, 82(28): pp. 228-82.

Douglas, Boucher, Braun & Esposito (2001). "WSFW Protocols for Standardizing Research Using Simulacra," Proceedings of the European Measurement Modelling Society, 32(4): pp.  890-901.

Jones, I., Scott, W., and Round, S. (1935), "The Importance of Brain Chilling: a disaggregated structure using vanilla cream caramel ripple," Surgery Journal of India, 24(5): pp. 465-71.

Lecter et al (2017), "Warming Matters More than Chilling for Disaggregated Structures," American Journal of Structural Modelling, 71(1): 1-42.

O'Neil, E. (2014). The Iceman Cometh: Spoons Behind the Iron Curtain, Oxford: Oxford University Press.

R.R. Raskolnikov (1866), "протоколы контроля температуры для выкапывания мороженого вместо мозгов," Журнал моделирования измерений, 23(3), pp. 750-63.

Schnudwiller, W., Puget, W., and Traductio, W. 2019, "Sherbet Sphericals and the Causes of Brain Pain," Journal of Speculative Neurology, 76(2): pp. 241-73.

Smith, W., Jones, I., and Adams, S.R., "Standardizing Simulacra Research Across Continents," American Journal of Measurement and Modelling, 7(3): pp.  314-322.

Yamamoto, K. and Tanaka, T. (2014), "Mochi-Facilitated Alternative Scoops for Cerebellum-Scraping Surgeries," Journal of Medical Instrumentation, 99(12): pp. 171-82.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 22, 2020, 08:07:42 PM
Brilliant work, everyone!

OK, I've generated a better bibliography for us, and tried to fit the titles to whatever gibberish we say when we reference them. I'll try to put the further research section together tomorrow, and I'll have to remember to go back when we have a full text to make sure the details here fit there. Feel free to generate better entries if you prefer them; nobody ever said I had a very good imagination.

Bibliography

Karamazov A.F. (1880a), "лед лед детка," исследования ванильного льда, 7(2), pp. 12-19.

Karamazov A.F. (1880b), "лед лед лед детка детка толчок это очень хорошо," исследования ванильного льда, 7(4), pp. 111-123.

Baskin, B. & Robbins, I. (1945), "The Raskolnikov Scoop: synergistic effects of intersegmental approaches in brain modelling," Comportmental and Brain Sciences, 104(414), pp. 393-411.

Ben, C. & Jerry, G. (1981), "A Refreshing Delight Supreme: calibrating softer substrates," Simulation Studies, 57, pp. 515-35.

Cuclear, Z., Spēnuz, Y., and Kijiko, X. (2012), "The Surgical Implications of the Idiophonic Properties of Scooping Instruments," Journal of Medical Instrumentation, 82(28): pp. 228-82.

Douglas, Boucher, Braun & Esposito (2001). "WSFW Protocols for Standardizing Research Using Simulacra," Proceedings of the European Measurement Modelling Society, 32(4): pp.  890-901.

Jones, I., Scott, W., and Round, S. (1935), "The Importance of Brain Chilling: a disaggregated structure using vanilla cream caramel ripple," Surgery Journal of India, 24(5): pp. 465-71.

Lecter et al (2017), "Warming Matters More than Chilling for Disaggregated Structures," American Journal of Structural Modelling, 71(1): 1-42.

O'Neil, E. (2014). The Iceman Cometh: Spoons Behind the Iron Curtain, Oxford: Oxford University Press.

R.R. Raskolnikov (1866), "протоколы контроля температуры для выкапывания мороженого вместо мозгов," Журнал моделирования измерений, 23(3), pp. 750-63.

Schnudwiller, W., Puget, W., and Traductio, W. 2019, "Sherbet Sphericals and the Causes of Brain Pain," Journal of Speculative Neurology, 76(2): pp. 241-73.

Smith, W., Jones, I., and Adams, S.R., "Standardizing Simulacra Research Across Continents," American Journal of Measurement and Modelling, 7(3): pp.  314-322.

Yamamoto, K. and Tanaka, T. (2014), "Mochi-Facilitated Alternative Scoops for Cerebellum-Scraping Surgeries," Journal of Medical Instrumentation, 99(12): pp. 171-82.

So cool! (oops, sorry...)

Since, according to this revered source, ice cream may have originated in China, come to the west via Marco Polo, and been disseminated in Europe through the Italian Medicis and their married spouses in France, we might need to have a couple of those references to make the lit review look deeper, thicker, and creamier...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cream

Or not...

;--}

M.

ETA: Question....what are we going to do if it's accepted with a request to resubmit with revisions??  ;--} 

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

So hilarious.  I love the journal titles.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on June 24, 2020, 02:55:46 PM

The Journal of Speculative Neurology ought to be an interesting read, even for a layperson.

science.expat

Quote from: apl68 on June 25, 2020, 08:43:24 AM

The Journal of Speculative Neurology ought to be an interesting read, even for a layperson.

Wouldn't it be great to have in a doctor's waiting room?

apl68

Quote from: science.expat on June 25, 2020, 10:44:18 PM
Quote from: apl68 on June 25, 2020, 08:43:24 AM

Wouldn't it be great to have in a doctor's waiting room?

LOL

It probably wouldn't scare the patients as badly as a copy of Journal of Medical Instrumentation.