News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on your QB and 2fer, Langue_doc! And it's great that you have a good paper to grade.  The secret message was "space out."  I had read that you could put "blank" or "nothing" in all the squares or put an "X" in a square, so I ended up just putting one X in at the intersection of 28A/9D.  That is definitely not the required letter for that pair, so I have no idea why just doing that solved the puzzle.  Before that, while the clock was running but all my other answers were correct, subsets of the intersection letters would appear and disappear.  It was all kind of odd.  Again, someone was trying to be too clever.

I have to try to get back to puzzles before friend call.  Hopefully I can stay awake long enough!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and then the pangram.

I don't remember the last word in yesterday's puzzle, so it must have been a fairly common word. I was not happy though about capri not being included in the list; found carpi by chance.

methodical/lux

ab_grp, I finally clicked on 'reveal' to see the solution only to see the letters that I had entered and then deleted in the blank spaces start flashing. Oh, well.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Not much puzzle time yesterday but I did get G with all 3 Ps. Probably never would have found carpi without a hint.

LB - just 3fers, let's see how today goes.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I, too, ran out of time yesterday, so I used hints to find the last three words:  carpi, crania, priapic.  Today I am at Beta, six words to go.  Time will be short today as well, so we'll see how far I get.

LB:  I had the "official" methodical-lux(e).  And I have a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Almost to alpha today as well.  I think I have 5 words left.  I think crania, carpi, priapic were some I needed help with, and I was also looking for capri in there.

Congrats on your 2fers yesterday! And on another today, cathwen!

Langue_doc, that crossword was really a pain in the neck.  I was happy to find today's very easy, which is unusual for a Thursday for me (but is due to the topic, not special language skills).

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius.

Last word yesterday was hone.

just tranquilizes or tranquilizes in jest

Happy solving!

ETA: QB; all familiar words.

ciao_yall

QBwH and jet-tranquilizes.

GwP and 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

SB:  Not my finest effort.  I gave up and looked at hints to find ennead, hennaed, nodded, and odeon.  Today, though I got to QBABM! 

LB:  I had jet-tranquilizes.  And I have a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I think I have 3 words left today.  Yesterday I think odeon was our final word with assistance.

No time for LB again, so congrats on your solutions! And on another today, cathwen! I hope today I will have some time.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB w/2LL because I never entered weigh. Gah. LB was unlocks-stirfy.

Long bee today! Oy. Just made it to Amazing and got a tip there are some obscure fauna in there so will probably end up with QBwH. And a few 3fers, but no 2fer yet.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Just found the third pangram and made it to genius. That's it for today, I think. I hope there aren't any more pangrams.

Last words yesterday were teeth, teethe, and eyeteeeth. I kept finding words with n in them, but no n, alas!

Crosswords were done last night.

Had to get up before the crack of dawn for a bird walk. I kept dithering because of the weather forecast (steady rain) but then decided to go since I was already up and there was free parking. Only the diehards showed up. We walked in steady rain and saw a few birds. I'll post more details on the birding thread.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Haven't made a ton of headway on the bee because I was concentrating on getting the crossword done, and we had to go out to get something into the mail early.  I'm at 163 with two pangrams.  Langue_doc, there are only 3, so you've got them.  My final words last night were eightieth, eighth I think, though I had the other two related words earlier.  Oh, also twee, tweet came late.  At least we had team QB.

No luck on LB again!

Langue_doc, that bird outing doesn't sound as fun as some of the others.  I hope you're all dried off now.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

My last word yesterday was eighth, which I did not see until long after having gotten eight, eighty, eightieth.

Today I am at Beta with all three pangrams, but if I finish at all, it will be with some hints.  I can't see where the remaining words can possibly be hiding.

LB:  I had kinfolks-scrutiny yesterday, which is less economical than the "official" folks-scrutiny.  I have a 2fer today, too, but it isn't very economical, either. 

Langue_doc, you are a brave soul to go out birding in the rain.  My husband and I were planning an outing with a local birding group this morning—it would have been our first with this group—but they cancelled due to rain.  Maybe next week!  They go out every Saturday morning.  In the meanwhile, I saw what was clearly a warbler flitting around in some trees across the way, but due to poor light and distance, I could not tell what kind it was.  I am hypothesizing yellow-rumped, but it could have been something else.

Happy puzzling!