The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

Quote from: fishbrains on April 24, 2021, 08:23:58 AM
Quote from: downer on April 23, 2021, 08:00:02 AM
Netflix 'n' Grade.

Am I right?

I didn't know Netflix made bourbon. You really do learn something new every day.

Netflix 'n Grade, with a side of Makers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

I was under the weather yesterday. so I didn't really grade much. Today is the day to grade. I just finished grading a Physics test and I'm about to grade lab set #1 out of 4. Ugh.

Parasaurolophus

I didn't manage anything yesterday either, but I should also buckle down today and get a chunk done. I'd like to be all done early in the week.
I know it's a genus.

Harlow2

Just graded discussion responses from 3 classes.  Same classes submit papers tomorrow then longer ones in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed that they are well done.

the_geneticist

Done with manually fixing the partial credit for 3 questions in just over 500 exams!

Note to self: remember how long this took you when you write the next exam.  It was not trivial!

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm grading my third set of labs and one of my students (the one who wants to spend ALL the time in the world with me asking questions) is checking feedback a minute after I post it. It's a little unnerving. Granted this student doesn't have to worry since stu's grades are in the A range (except for that 1 B that threw stu over the edge).

Parasaurolophus

Managed 10 essays, 3 quizzes, and 10 exams. That's it for today!
I know it's a genus.

teach_write_research

Ugh. I'm grading a small final project and so many students took a big step down in the quality of their work compared to how they were doing during the term. Grading these is largely boring, sad, and irritating. I used the same assignment in the Fall and its a definite contrast. Such a clear signal of how worn out everyone is. Myself included! I'm thankful for the few students who put a strong effort into their project and showed the knowledge they gained.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I graded about 80 lab reports yesterday. Now I get to do it again today. Yay.

the_geneticist

And I've learned the hard way that you can't regrade a multiple-choice question in Canvas if you put it in the "Item Bank" of questions.

Why?!?!?!

The only work-around is to manually go through all of the student answers and use the "fudge points" option. 

This was possible (and easy!) in Blackboard.  Remind me again, why are we switching?

AvidReader

Ugh! Every single paragraph in the essay I am grading at the moment is in a different font from the preceding paragraph. Some paragraphs have 2 or 3 different fonts. The paragraphs alternate between serif and sans-serif fonts, so this isn't just a student struggling to tell the difference between several similar fonts. I have had the student for two semesters, and we have drilled MLA and formatting guidelines. Student has never done this before. What is this madness!

AR.

Langue_doc

Quote from: AvidReader on April 26, 2021, 03:24:18 PM
Ugh! Every single paragraph in the essay I am grading at the moment is in a different font from the preceding paragraph. Some paragraphs have 2 or 3 different fonts. The paragraphs alternate between serif and sans-serif fonts, so this isn't just a student struggling to tell the difference between several similar fonts. I have had the student for two semesters, and we have drilled MLA and formatting guidelines. Student has never done this before. What is this madness!

AR.

Copy and paste?

dr_codex

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 26, 2021, 03:25:50 PM
Quote from: AvidReader on April 26, 2021, 03:24:18 PM

AR.

Copy and paste?

Exactly my thought. It's one of the first tip-offs. Time to go a-Googling ....
back to the books.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AvidReader

I thought plagiarism at first, too. It is a research essay on a topic of my choice, and it was pretty heavily scaffolded, and the student has adequate citations throughout. I think that the student copied and pasted the various bits of scaffolded work in interesting but sloppily formatted ways. It was still unpleasant to read, though!

AR.