News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I've sent it all in. I'm done. See you in December, marking thread!
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on May 02, 2021, 08:39:49 AM
Today I will grade the final 15 exams for one class, a final paper for another class, and (if time and mental wherewithal permit) a student's final paper for an independent study. I will clean up loose ends and submit final grades tomorrow.

Looking forward to Tuesday.

Done.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 03, 2021, 04:05:15 PM

December?! My grades are due Wednesday, and the summer term starts Monday! What's this about December?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 03, 2021, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 03, 2021, 04:05:15 PM

December?! My grades are due Wednesday, and the summer term starts Monday! What's this about December?

Same. I've got to teach this summer!

EdnaMode

I'm 2/3 of the way through the freshpeep final design projects, their final exam is later today. I still have my senior tech elective final projects to grade but those are almost universally good so shouldn't take long.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

One class left to go. Unfortunately, I have a couple of students who want to go from a "D" to a "C." One of them seems to think that turning in a late homework is enough to raise stu's grade, but it won't. Stu has a 61% and each homework is only 2% of the final grade. The other student wants me to give stu a "C" because stu needs it for a work certification. Stu has a 65%.

OneMoreYear

My grades are done, but the system will not accept them. The error message is "that final grade is not valid."   For my graduate class, the system did not like grades of A, B, C, or D. So, am I supposed to assign everyone an F? I know we are tuition-driven here, but randomly making an entire class fail so they need to repeat the class seems a little excessive, even for our administration.  Or maybe there is another alphabet I'm supposed to be using?  Argh! I need this semester to be over, already!

mamselle

Does it want you to enter points or percentages that it will then convert to a letter grade?

It's running very dimly in my memory that something like that has various settings and that may be the default.

But I could be wrong.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: mamselle on May 05, 2021, 05:34:52 AM
Does it want you to enter points or percentages that it will then convert to a letter grade?

It's running very dimly in my memory that something like that has various settings and that may be the default.

But I could be wrong.

M.

We tried it multiple ways--the system itself is supposed to have drop-down menus--they are missing. We tried exporting directly from the LMS grade book, which we have both the percentage grades and the finalized letter grades--no dice--that caused the "that grade is not valid" error message. I have sent email to the registrar and pushed a service request to our IT folks, but so far, they have not responded. I did, however, receive a helpful automated email this morning telling me that my grades are due. Yes, I know that! Fix the frakkin' problem, and I'll submit them. I submitted grades for my 3 other classes; it's just this one--and of course it has the be the class from hell that had 4 students plagiarize the final paper and caused a slew of student complaints about how unreasonable we were being.

Harlow2

Still 10 days until grades are due, with papers due this Monday. (We began very late this year and had no spring break)

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm almost done grading my last final exam. A student just sent me an email suggesting that I use a different grading system for stu.

Really?

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 05, 2021, 08:31:05 AM
I'm almost done grading my last final exam. A student just sent me an email suggesting that I use a different grading system for stu.

Really?

Well, don't leave us in suspense! What creative grading system was proposed? If I use it, will it make my life easier? Maybe your student is proposing the grading system that will solve my grade submission problem. Where there emojis involved?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on May 05, 2021, 08:38:02 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 05, 2021, 08:31:05 AM

Really?

Well, don't leave us in suspense! What creative grading system was proposed? If I use it, will it make my life easier? Maybe your student is proposing the grading system that will solve my grade submission problem. Where there emojis involved?

You would think that I'd at least get some emojis. Nope.

Stu suggested that I not drop the lowest hw and test for stu because it would make the grade a "C." Yeah, I bet it would!

EdnaMode

Finished with my senior grades, they've been posted, yay! Finished the final projects from the freshpeeps this AM and am now slogging my way through their exams. Hope to finish them today, let them marinate overnight, then I'll take a look and decide if any overall adjusting will occur (we started the semester remotely and this particular class is not one well suited to remote learning) and post those final grades tomorrow morning and cross my fingers for minimal whinging and grade grubbing.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I am done with grades! Just sent the last, 'Sorry, I'm not changing your grade' emails.